Easter menu

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
FrankZ said:
I had Deer Wellington with asparagus and a salad.

That bad boy was a lot of work and we will be eating on it a while. :)

Wow! That is massive and looks delish. Love the bunny face!

I had Deer Wellington with asparagus and a salad.

30377-albums858-picture4708.jpg

That bad boy was a lot of work and we will be eating on it a while. :)

Thumper AND Bambi! Cool!

We'll be leaving for my sons house soon. He will be barbequing Tri Tips and grilled asparagus.

My contributions will be:

"Mama's Sweet Beans"
crab stuffed mushrooms
baked Brie in puffed pastry with almonds and boysenberry preserves
cheese garlic bread.

Happy Easter everyone!! :bunny::flowers::bunny::flowers::bunny::flowers:

Easter Dinner was roast turkey, stuffing, mashed jacket red potatoes (with butter, sour cream and fresh chives), microwave steamed fresh asparagus (with melted butter and fresh grated romano and parmesan cheeses), sautéed mushroom caps, jellied cranberry sauce and pan gravy.

img_1127434_0_1913f32154a2a71390fff19bde3e4c33.jpg

5K into our bike ride, stopped at the Good Food Store for the Soup and Salad Bar. I had Chicken Tortilla Soup and a salad of mixed greens with kalamata olives, Spanish green olives, garbanzo beans, tomatoes, diced egg, alfalfa sprouts and a balsamic vinaigrette.

Shrek had a chili beef soup and a salad.

We split a Chocolate Truffle mousse cake...divine. Coffee and water for beverages.

Then we rode home, another 5K, it was a good ride along the river.

Today's dinner is maple and brown sugar ham, smoked kielbasa, fresh kielbasa. scalloped potatoes, carrots, asparagus, green beans, biscuits, and babkka bread. Pear pie for dessert. The ham and potatoes are in the oven and I'm outside enjoying the weather while dinner cooks.

This was dinner......

Attachments

• EasterDinner.jpg
    EasterDinner.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 159
Slimming, here...It's braised chicken breasts, bathed in a golden roaster squash soup (yellow curry, ginger, honey, hot stuff, little salt, coconut milk) and garnished with chopped cilantro and shredded coconut. Green salad on the side. Meh...diet food.

For the first time in as long as I can't remember I DIDn't have Easter dinner with family. My sister went out of town, as did most of DH's family that live in town. So it was just us two.

I was going to do the ham thing and when we got to the store decided on a rotisserie chicken, wedge fries and two salads. Cheating? Maybe :LOL: but it was nice NOT to cook a big meal for a change.

Frank ! Deer Wellington! Gosh thats a first for me, how did that taste? I like the roe venison we can get here.

Whiskadoodle - I love that dish, how pretty, great colour.

This has been a really interesting thread for me on this side of the pond, I am fascinated by the different dishes. Great photos too, looks like we all had some marvellous feasts! Fab!

Thanks for the nice things.

The recipe was here.

Bill,

I used deer from the freezer that Kathleen had a hit out on. I am not sure what type run around these here parts, I just know they are tasty.

To do it over I would not use as much pate, it makes it extremely rich (and this comes from someone that can eat almost anything without saying "it was rich").

I would also make it smaller... we will get at least 2 more big meals out of it.

Kathleen said she didn't want anything heavy for breakfast this morning so I teased her about having Deer Wellington Benedict. :LOL:

I did a baked ham (Cook's--it was really good) with maple glaze, baked potato, steamed broccoli, and kimichi on the side. Dessert was chocolate ice cream and ricotta cheese cookies (glazed with a lemon glaze). I cheated and did this on Friday since we went on the lowest power rates Thursday 7 p.m. until Tuesday 7 a.m. With the leftover ham, I'm making scalloped potatoes.

We get Cook's brand ham down here also and like it quite a bit. We used to enjoy Cook's brand corned beef but it has not been available in our area for at least 5 years.
It's a shame that outfits like Cook's get bought out by the Conagras and Smithfields of this world. Such buyouts often end badly for everyone but the mega corps.

We get Cook's brand ham down here also and like it quite a bit. We used to enjoy Cook's brand corned beef but it has not been available in our area for at least 5 years.
It's a shame that outfits like Cook's get bought out by the Conagras and Smithfields of this world. Such buyouts often end badly for everyone but the mega corps.
It was an inexpensive ham with the bone in. I was pleased that it was not (a) fatty, and (b) salty. It had a nice texture and flavor. I picked it up at Price Chopper in NY last week. For some reason, our local grocery stores did not have ham, lamb, or turkey on special for Easter. That was somewhat surprising, usually ham is on special around Easter here. I wish I had bought more than one! It is tempting to drive down today to see if there are any left since the flyer changes tomorrow....

Last edited:
It was an inexpensive ham with the bone in. I was pleased that it was not (a) fatty, and (b) salty. It had a nice texture and flavor. I picked it up at Price Chopper in NY last week. For some reason, our local grocery stores did not have ham, lamb, or turkey on special for Easter. That was somewhat surprising, usually ham is on special around Easter here. I wish I had bought more than one! It is tempting to drive down today to see if there are any left since the flyer changes tomorrow....

How far is it? How much will it cost you in gas?

Back
Top Bottom