Easy quick wettish ham dishes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cook4984

Assistant Cook
I say wettish in that after the first day ham is always so dry on it's own. I'ts great for sandwidches or just on its own straight out the oven but then it is like an arid desert once it has cooled down.

I will buy say 700g cunks of it which lasts me two days so would like something where it still has some juiciness on the second day. I could just cut them in half and only eat 350 per day so its always fresh the day I eat it :).

Stew is always an option but I hate how the fat all cakes on the side of the dish in the fridge :), though mainly only cos I hate having to clean it after.

What other options are there?

Try a grilled ham and cheese sandwich or chop a chunk of ham and toss it into a bean or vegetable soup, add a few chunks to a green salad or a macaroni salad, chunks of ham in scrambled eggs or a frittata, mince it in the food processor and mix in some sweet pickle or horseradish and a little mayo for a ham salad sandwich, add a few chunks to macaroni and cheese, escalloped potatoes with ham chunks. :pig:

I never get tired of ham! :yum:

All of those are great ideas AB. I had completely forgotten about ham salad sandwiches. In days of old, and long before food processors, that was my kids favorite sandwich filling.

Last edited:
All of those are great ideas AB. I had completely forgotten about ham salad sandwiches. In days of old, and long before food processors, that was my kids favorite sandwich filling.

A ham salad sandwich is the best part of Easter at my house! :yum:

When I was a kid my mother would buy ham salad in a jar, from the dairy case at the local grocery store. We used to get scolded if we ate it because it was for my stepfather's lunchbox. It was a constant battle, we would snitch the ham salad and my mother would make a big fuss but she always had an extra jar squirreled away in the vegetable crisper for his lunch. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

It's odd how powerful food memories can be!

Now you went and brought back another even earlier memory..Underwood Deviled Ham in a can....I used to eat that on crackers. Maybe they still make it.

Last edited:
Now you went and brought back another even earlier memory..Underwood Deviled Ham in a can....I used to eat that on crackers. Maybe they still make it.

They still make it!

My grandmother used to eat it on crackers for a quick lunch, I was never a fan! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Another idea for leftover ham, make a cream sauce and add in chunks of ham, frozen peas or mixed vegetables and serve it over baked potatoes, toast, etc. Sort of a new take on SOS.

I haven't made it in years, but ham and spinach in a cream sauce over pasta might be an option. Cut the ham into strips. Saute the spinach, add ham, cream and nutmeg, simmer for a few minutes. Serve over pasta.

I love that minced ham spread and make it just like AB - mixed with a little chopped sweet pickle and mayo on rye and it makes a great sandwich. Hmmm....I'll need to see if I have some ham in the freezer. :)

I wouldn't have known they still make the Underwood if I hadn't seen it in a little country store up in the mountains recently. I guess I just never notice it in the supermarkets.

Cook4986, ham, broccoli and potato casserole is another way to use up your ham. You could use cream of something or other soup, or make a white sauce, maybe blend in some shredded cheese. If you cut as much fat as you can off of your ham first, the congealing fat shouldn't be a problem.

They still make it!

My grandmother used to eat it on crackers for a quick lunch, I was never a fan! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Another idea for leftover ham, make a cream sauce and add in chunks of ham, frozen peas or mixed vegetables and serve it over baked potatoes, toast, etc. Sort of a new take on SOS.

This sounds very nice but what is the SOS?

Is that good also?

~Cat

Hmm I forgot to mention I dont eat cheese. I like it and all but too fatty, makes me spotty. Or any other fatty stuff really since i put on weight so easily. so it more limits things.

potatos are dry in themselves :D.

Maybe some ideas for sauces that I can make to go with the ham which of course do not contain any of the above nono items and are easily obtainable ingredients.

Im still trying to amass 5 or 6 staple dishes but even tho Ive made a couple more I still seem to come up short after a few days and end up making oven chips or some other junk and regretting it. Nothing wrong with oven chips if I made them with something else but I just go into default mode and just make them and nothing else and get annoyed at myself for falling into old habits :D. I made tuna burgers the otehr day which turned out nice, still tweaking the recipe but I was pleased with the first atempt.

I want to have those 5 or 6 Im comfortable making where I dont have to think about it so that its no longer a chore to think of what Im gonna have to scrape together each day.

Oh! I have sometimes said a worse word in Romanian when the lightning took down of the antenna mast of Catina II. I Googled of this and SOS is seeming much like a dish of our cook's!

~Cat

It is quite different here for my Gizzy serves of the ham pieces and the gravy on very nice biscuits! It has of bacon and mixed of scrambled eggs also. It is very nice!

~Cat

Back
Top Bottom