"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-18-2015, 08:51 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Easy quick wettish ham dishes?

I say wettish in that after the first day ham is always so dry on it's own. I'ts great for sandwidches or just on its own straight out the oven but then it is like an arid desert once it has cooled down.

I will buy say 700g cunks of it which lasts me two days so would like something where it still has some juiciness on the second day. I could just cut them in half and only eat 350 per day so its always fresh the day I eat it :).

Stew is always an option but I hate how the fat all cakes on the side of the dish in the fridge :), though mainly only cos I hate having to clean it after.

What other options are there?

Old 10-18-2015, 10:00 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

What is your cooking method?

Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 12:06 PM   #3
Master Chef

Try a grilled ham and cheese sandwich or chop a chunk of ham and toss it into a bean or vegetable soup, add a few chunks to a green salad or a macaroni salad, chunks of ham in scrambled eggs or a frittata, mince it in the food processor and mix in some sweet pickle or horseradish and a little mayo for a ham salad sandwich, add a few chunks to macaroni and cheese, escalloped potatoes with ham chunks.

I never get tired of ham!
Old 10-18-2015, 12:21 PM   #4
Master Chef

All of those are great ideas AB. I had completely forgotten about ham salad sandwiches. In days of old, and long before food processors, that was my kids favorite sandwich filling.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 12:34 PM   #5
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
All of those are great ideas AB. I had completely forgotten about ham salad sandwiches. In days of old, and long before food processors, that was my kids favorite sandwich filling.
A ham salad sandwich is the best part of Easter at my house!

When I was a kid my mother would buy ham salad in a jar, from the dairy case at the local grocery store. We used to get scolded if we ate it because it was for my stepfather's lunchbox. It was a constant battle, we would snitch the ham salad and my mother would make a big fuss but she always had an extra jar squirreled away in the vegetable crisper for his lunch.

It's odd how powerful food memories can be!
Old 10-18-2015, 12:38 PM   #6
Master Chef

Now you went and brought back another even earlier memory..Underwood Deviled Ham in a can....I used to eat that on crackers. Maybe they still make it.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 12:59 PM   #7
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Now you went and brought back another even earlier memory..Underwood Deviled Ham in a can....I used to eat that on crackers. Maybe they still make it.
They still make it!

My grandmother used to eat it on crackers for a quick lunch, I was never a fan!

Another idea for leftover ham, make a cream sauce and add in chunks of ham, frozen peas or mixed vegetables and serve it over baked potatoes, toast, etc. Sort of a new take on SOS.
Old 10-18-2015, 01:13 PM   #8
Sous Chef

I haven't made it in years, but ham and spinach in a cream sauce over pasta might be an option. Cut the ham into strips. Saute the spinach, add ham, cream and nutmeg, simmer for a few minutes. Serve over pasta.
Old 10-18-2015, 01:55 PM   #9
Master Chef

I love that minced ham spread and make it just like AB - mixed with a little chopped sweet pickle and mayo on rye and it makes a great sandwich. Hmmm....I'll need to see if I have some ham in the freezer.

I wouldn't have known they still make the Underwood if I hadn't seen it in a little country store up in the mountains recently. I guess I just never notice it in the supermarkets.

Cook4986, ham, broccoli and potato casserole is another way to use up your ham. You could use cream of something or other soup, or make a white sauce, maybe blend in some shredded cheese. If you cut as much fat as you can off of your ham first, the congealing fat shouldn't be a problem.
Old 10-18-2015, 03:48 PM   #10
Proud American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
They still make it!

My grandmother used to eat it on crackers for a quick lunch, I was never a fan!

Another idea for leftover ham, make a cream sauce and add in chunks of ham, frozen peas or mixed vegetables and serve it over baked potatoes, toast, etc. Sort of a new take on SOS.
This sounds very nice but what is the SOS?

Is that good also?

~Cat

Tags
easy, ham