Easy recipes for kids to help make

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

purrfectlydevine

Sous Chef
I teach a mutiple disabilities special education class. We cook once a week and I could use easy recipes. In my classroom I have a one-burner hotplate, a small microwave oven and a toaster oven for cooking. Quite a bit of the cooking we do with the students is done with hand-over-hand assistance. Any recipes or ideas would be appreciated.

I am sure you already thought of this one, but in case you haven't, English muffin pizzas. Those were always fun to make when I was young.

There's no cooking involved in this, but one of my daughter's favorite things to make when she was younger was "Ants on a log." She found it in a cookbook for kids. All you do is fill the groove in celery with peanut butter, then press raisins into the peanut butter. (I prefer cream cheese in my celery!)

:) Barbara

What about those no bake cookies...usually made with some peanut butter? or jello. I have a cute "recipe" that requires blue jello, a new fish bowl and candy fish. Jello could be made in the microwave and the possibilites are endless.

When I was in Girl Scouts many, many years ago, we made a "Candlelight Salad". Put a lettuce leaf on a plate. Cut a banana in half. Place it in a pineapple ring and put a cherry on top.

I know I'm slow in replying, but you might consider getting your school to buy a big electric skillet or two. They're easy to put at a lower table level if needed. My mom taught us how to cook at a very early age using this as an invaluable tool. It sounds like your teaching life skills, and it is super for cooking up simple meat dishes -- plain pork chops, burgers, sloppy joes, scrambled eggs. I don't know what level and age your 'kids' are at, but it is a pretty good tool for teaching some basics beyond microwave.

What about fudge?

It's all made in a single pot, and there's a lot of stirring. My son has some "occupational therapy issues" and we do a lot of activities that have motions like stirring b/c they are good for building strength and coordination.

If you buy marshmallow creme/fluff. The recipe is right on the jar.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom