"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 01-19-2005, 10:54 PM   #11
Georgia is pretty warm (does it even freeze there?)...

Grilling dininer on a barbeque/barbecue (sp?) is pretty simple, and, of course, delicious...few enough fruits or veggies that don't match up with the method!

And you are probably not "fully kitted out" with home amenities, so "picnicking" in this fashion, in a new home may give you some happy memories of moving in...

Tinfoil cookware and paper plates if necessary...but good, honest food, and some fun in preparing it, let alone "practice" for the summer season to come!

Have a bunch of fun, and congrats on the new residence!

Lifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 07:08 AM   #12
Send a message via AIM to Sarah 1426
thanks everyone...these are excellent ideas!!!

"How could I have been anyone other than me?"

-Dave Matthews
Sarah 1426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 01:09 AM   #13
Master Chef
one thing is pasta.
a box of angelhair, a jar of pesto. dry goods.
a box of fettucini, a 1/2 pt. whipping cream, some garlic, a wedge of parm.
very compact. butter. oops, i forgot about that.
spaghetti, a can of tomato sauce or your favorite kind of canned tomato, some dried herbs like basil, oregano, a little salt, etc., plus garlic for a quick sauce. fridge-free.
peanut butter sandwiches! cereal! just keep a quart of milk available.
you might try shopping daily?
canned beans cooked with some ham, and some red pepper flakes or hot sauce, plus a big hunk of buttered Italian bread, would make a great dinner. filling and delicious.you can buy a 6-pk. of eggs instead of a dozen.
meat is flat and can be stored in a small space.
as for drinks, buy cans or indicidual bottles and put a few in at a time.
that's all i can think of for now.
i believe that life would not be complete sans comfy 'ol tee-shirts, the Golden Girls, and the color pink
& rock on, PITTSBURGH-
luvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 05:15 AM   #14
Master Chef
Thank you, kitchen elf!!!! I was astonished to move to Virginia and live in the southeast, and learn that barbecue sometimes mean boiled meat served in barbecue sauce!!! To me barbecue meant something cooked over an open flame. I only recently (oh, dear, I'm getting old. In the past 15 years) learned that what many people call "barbecue" means, to me, smoked. What I call barbecued means to southerners, 'grilled'. Oh, dear. woe is me. I used to call the thing out back a barbecue pit. What do you call it now? I did learn that, strange as it seems, what I love most is called "Canadian Barbecue" (chicken halves cooked on coals or wood)(no, not smoked) or "Santa Maria Barbecue" (a childhood favorite of tri tips and Pinquito beans. The beans are chili beans, I might add, made with chili spices and sometimes ground beef). Oh dear oh me. How to keep up.

Claire is offline   Reply With Quote