"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 05-10-2014, 06:36 PM   #31
Assistant Cook

I don't care to eat out much; as many of you have said, it's only for things I can't or don't want to do myself. When I do, I tend to splurge and go to places I know are excellent in the ingredients, preparation and presentation.

Even then, I spend most of the meal reverse engineering the food. Trying to figure out what spices used, how they obtained the results and how I can do it myself. Because I really like doing it myself. It's just so much more satisfying, to me, if I can produce similar results even if I do have to clean up afterward.

I know everyone is different and some find the dining out experience more fun, but my innate frugality and enjoyment of dealing with food is hard to balance with enjoying the overall experience. I really feel bad for some of my friends who eat out every meal. I shouldn't, they obviously are happy with their choice to do so.

Old 05-10-2014, 06:52 PM   #32
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
We took Baby Bro and his then wife-to-be to Morimoto's in Philly. Now THAT was an experience. A hugely expensive experience, but we sat at the counter and got anything that the chef could come up with. It was a blast. We even got pics of us and the chef!
I'd trade all the dinners I've eaten out in the last ten years for one evening like that Dawg!!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 06:56 PM   #33
Head Chef

I rarely go out to eat, but when I do, I expect the food to be well prepared. If it's not, I send it back. I don't understand why so many people don't do that - it's wasted money, and an overall bad experience. With any other product that one buys, if it's subpar, it's returned to the store. So, why shouldn't lousy food be sent back, and replaced with another dish, correctly prepared? (assuming the chef knows how to do that). Most (not all), good restaurants will be very happy to do their best to please the customer.
Old 05-10-2014, 07:00 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I'd trade all the dinners I've eaten out in the last ten years for one evening like that Dawg!!

Much sake was consumed! I'll have to dig through my pics, it was before we had ready access to picture storage on computers. My brother kept yelling,"Chef!" And finally Morimoto turned around and gave us the peace sign/bunny ears behind my head. He was actually doing the cooking!
Old 05-10-2014, 07:03 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by merstar View Post
I rarely go out to eat, but when I do, I expect the food to be well prepared. If it's not, I send it back. I don't understand why so many people don't do that - it's wasted money, and an overall bad experience. With any other product that one buys, if it's subpar, it's returned to the store. So, why shouldn't lousy food be sent back, and replaced with another dish, correctly prepared? (assuming the chef knows how to do that). Most (not all), good restaurants will be very happy to do their best to please the customer.
I didn't realize they didn't. Did I miss an article or survey?
Old 05-10-2014, 07:11 PM   #36
Sous Chef

Yes, I've had things in a restaurant that I know I would do better myself. But that doesn't mean I'm staying home for all meal. Usually, I don't order things that I could or would make at home or if it's too much work or mess. I would not order a BLT in a restaurant or a chicken salad sandwich, mine are better. My habit is to order the same thing at certain restaurants because the make it the way I like it. If I know I want an omelet, we go to a certain local diner. If it's a steak sandwich, only our favorite place will do and oddly they serve it with peanut butter and apricot jam. I could probably do a pretty good steak at home, but no peanut butter here.
Old 05-10-2014, 07:58 PM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I didn't realize they didn't. Did I miss an article or survey?
I think most people don't, based on the reaction of friends when I do it. Well, not the friends I have now, but previous friends.

I'm reminded of a story. Ex-Dh and I were eating in a non-descript resto because we needed to eat. I think we were going to catch a train. The server asked if we wanted mashed potatoes or fries. Ex-dh said he wanted mashed. I asked if they were real or powdered. Ex-dh started kicking me under the table and making faces at me. The server replied, "Oh, they are powdered." I said I would have the fries. Ex-dh, sheepishly, asked if he could change his order to fries. He never gave me a hard time about complaining about or sending back food in a resto again.
Old 05-10-2014, 08:08 PM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I think most people don't, based on the reaction of friends when I do it. Well, not the friends I have now, but previous friends.

I'm reminded of a story. Ex-Dh and I were eating in a non-descript resto because we needed to eat. I think we were going to catch a train. The server asked if we wanted mashed potatoes or fries. Ex-dh said he wanted mashed. I asked if they were real or powdered. Ex-dh started kicking me under the table and making faces at me. The server replied, "Oh, they are powdered." I said I would have the fries. Ex-dh, sheepishly, asked if he could change his order to fries. He never gave me a hard time about complaining about or sending back food in a resto again.
I read USA Today everyday and they have a lot of articles on food and such. I thought perhaps I had missed something. Usually such statements are already news or specials on TV or something. 20/20 doing a segment on people who refuse to send back ill prepared meals...
Old 05-10-2014, 08:18 PM   #39
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
RB---"We eat out for necessity, not because we want to eat out."
???? Can you explain that?
When I am to tired to cook or other plans interfere with cooking the evening meal.
If I am home and have time to cook, we eat here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by merstar View Post
I rarely go out to eat, but when I do, I expect the food to be well prepared. If it's not, I send it back. I don't understand why so many people don't do that - it's wasted money, and an overall bad experience.
Have you ever watched Seinfeld?
I used to send things back and still will on occasion. But knowing the cook/chef will not like it, I prefer to remember this and NOT GO BACK!
Old 05-10-2014, 08:32 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I complained about a particularily horrid pizza that DH picked up from our usual place and that we got last weekend. I sent an email to their website, and got a response the next day. I left it to DH to respond and of course he didn't. The manager tracked our phone number down, apologized for the pizza, and we have a $20 credit next time we order from them. Now that's service!

Tags
eating