"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 05-10-2014, 08:40 PM   #41
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
Have you ever watched Seinfeld?
I used to send things back and still will on occasion. But knowing the cook/chef will not like it, I prefer to remember this and NOT GO BACK!
Uh oh - I hate to ask! I have heard stories of waiters and cooks spitting in the food when a dish is sent back from a nasty customer, plus other horror stories. I just never think about that when I send food back. Maybe I should!

Old 05-10-2014, 08:51 PM   #42
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I complained about a particularily horrid pizza that DH picked up from our usual place and that we got last weekend. I sent an email to their website, and got a response the next day. I left it to DH to respond and of course he didn't. The manager tracked our phone number down, apologized for the pizza, and we have a $20 credit next time we order from them. Now that's service!
Very nice!

Old 05-10-2014, 08:54 PM   #43
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by merstar View Post
Uh oh - I hate to ask! I have heard stories of waiters and cooks spitting in the food when a dish is sent back from a nasty customer, plus other horror stories. I just never think about that when I send food back. Maybe I should!
I'm sure the attitude of the customer determines how their corrected order is handled. Has more to do with how the wait staff is treated than the cooks.
Old 05-10-2014, 09:06 PM   #44
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I'm sure the attitude of the customer determines how their corrected order is handled. Has more to do with how the wait staff is treated than the cooks.
That's what I figured. It's not hard to be polite when sending stuff back.
Old 05-10-2014, 09:08 PM   #45
Chef Extraordinaire

The only time I go out to eat is with one of my kids. One of Poo's favorite places to eat is The Cheesecake Factory. The menu is more of a book. Page after page. I no longer look at it and order my favorite meal. Meatloaf. But I order it from the Children's menu. But I explain to the waitress that I am willing to pay full price. The CF gives me three thick slices of meatloaf with too much gravy, a huge pile of mashed or French Fries that would feed an orphanage. Plus the overcooked veggie of the day. If my plate is overflowing with food, I feel overwhelmed and can't eat. I just don't know where to start. There isn't even room left on the plate to cut the first slab of meatloaf. Oh I know, I can take the leftovers home. But that is not the problem. The problem is just too much food on my plate.

My daughter likes to go to Italian restaurants. Fine by me. The one she likes is about three minutes from where we live. I always order their Eggplant Parm. Mainly because they peel their eggplant. And eggplant is my favorite veggie. Most restaurants don't. For those restaurants, I order raviolis. The normally will put seven or eight large raviolis on the plate. Five is enough for me. And I know either my daughter or SIL will eat what is left on my plate.
Old 05-10-2014, 09:13 PM   #46
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I'm always polite about it, so hopefully nothing has come back tainted!
Old 05-10-2014, 09:14 PM   #47
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Eating out..

I hear you about the Cheesecake Factory's menu, Addie. I have rarely seen such a book.

DH and I usually split a meal. If we're still hungry, which is rare, we just order something else.

My 84 pound (deceased) mother used to be able to tuck away twice her size at places like Olive Garden and Red Lobster.
Old 05-10-2014, 10:30 PM   #48
Master Chef

Most restaurants put more on a plate than I eat in one sitting. I tend to eat smaller amounts, then more later when I'm hungry again. When we eat out I usually "order" a carry-out container right with the meal. The server is always happy to bring one along with our meals. I put half (or more) into it, then I end up with more room on my plate too. Presto, solves the too much food/no room issue, plus the what to have for dinner tomorrow problem!

I've been know to send things back, but again you have to be polite to the server. Back in the day when we actually ate at chain restaurants we went to an Olive Garden near the mall we were at. The bread toasts for the dip were still frozen in the middle, there was something not right with my entree - but the service out of the kitchen was so slow I needed to eat when it showed up. Issues all around. On the way out as we paid the bill I asked if I could speak with the manager. I explained the issues politely, explaining if he didn't know what the problems were he would never know why people didn't come back. We had no plans to return there. He thanked me for my critique and promised changes. Then he gave me a $50 gift card (more than we had spent that night) and asked for us to try again. We made a point of going back to that location a few months later. Wow, my complaining did make a difference! Everything seemed to run much better. The power of one when the manager does care.

Years ago we were wandering up the western side of CT. Stopped in some little village for dinner in an old building. I don't remember the town or the restaurant's name, but it was one of my best experiences. Whatever seafood I had ordered was no longer available that night. Rather than the server telling me (she may not have known at first) the Chef/owner came out to tell me and explain they had run out of that fish, then offered an alternate prepared in whatever way would make me happy. Boy, did I feel special!
Old 05-11-2014, 12:20 AM   #49
Certified Pretend Chef

We ate at Emeril's restaurant @ Universal City in FL some years ago and it was great. Food, service, atmosphere - all great.
Old 05-11-2014, 07:25 AM   #50
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
The only time I go out to eat is with one of my kids. One of Poo's favorite places to eat is The Cheesecake Factory. The menu is more of a book. Page after page. I no longer look at it and order my favorite meal. Meatloaf. But I order it from the Children's menu. But I explain to the waitress that I am willing to pay full price. The CF gives me three thick slices of meatloaf with too much gravy, a huge pile of mashed or French Fries that would feed an orphanage. Plus the overcooked veggie of the day. If my plate is overflowing with food, I feel overwhelmed and can't eat. I just don't know where to start. There isn't even room left on the plate to cut the first slab of meatloaf. Oh I know, I can take the leftovers home. But that is not the problem. The problem is just too much food on my plate.
Ask for a to-go box when ordering so you can pack up part of the meal before you start eating.

Edit: Darn, should have read all the posts before replying. Why can't I delete a post in the mobile app?

Tags
eating