"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 05-09-2014, 10:43 PM   #1
Master Chef

Eating out..

We went out for dinner tonight. I had seafood stuffed enchilada's. They were pretty good but I know I could have made them better. she said modestly.

It's almost a curse to eat out and be thinking of how it could be better.
Does anyone else here do that?

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 10:57 PM   #2
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I do it all the time! I think people who like real cooking, like those of us here, are prone to thinking or knowing we could do it better.

To me, the only reason to go out to eat is so I don't have to do dishes.

Old 05-09-2014, 11:02 PM   #3
Master Chef

Kayelle, I do that too! That's one of the reasons we rarely go out anymore. I will admit to being cheap, but I like to think it's cheap with a purpose. It's one thing to go out and spend $50 at our favorite restaurant and enjoy every bite of food and every bit of drink - I haven't a problem with that. But the last time we went out to a semi-regular place, spent $25, and walked out completely unsatisfied made me rethink going out. Part of the reason was I had just come home from the grocery store, bought only edibles (no toiletries or cleaning supplies), and knew I had two different proteins set aside in the freezer to use with what I had bought. I had enough food for the two of us for a week and had spent...around $50. Hmm. Decided right then and there I would cook almost always and go out maybe every month or two to one of our favorite places. I can count our favorites on one hand. As a bonus, eating home cooking has had me drop around 10 pounds...and I have no interest in finding them again!
Old 05-09-2014, 11:02 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I do too. Other than the bread (that I don't bake), I prefer my sandwich fillings. Along with my steaks, chili, and drinks. If I can get stuff I can't make at home, or that has ingredients and prep I can't easily access, then I'm all for going out. Anything with duck, sashimi, or a vast salad bar comes to mind. We do love Mexican and Chinese too...
Old 05-09-2014, 11:42 PM   #5
Head Chef

I have done that.

Also I have taken my wife to dinner and she would say that I can cook it better.
Old 05-10-2014, 12:22 AM   #6
Head Chef

We don't go out much for this very reason ... our splurge is on some good seafood or steaks and a great bottle of wine (or two) which we thoroughly enjoy at home.

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 12:22 AM   #7
Executive Chef

I feel like that all of the time.

I usually only go out when I meet up with my kids and it is their choice. It is more about meeting up and spending time together. My GF and I go out for breakfast occasionally but it is mostly greasy spoon style sausage and eggs. Or I will get a craving for wings and beer and go to a pub, but that is more for entertainment.

I will search out small ethnic places to try new stuff that I have never eaten and don't cook. But if I like something I search out the recipes and ingredients and cook my own versions at home.

I am feeling more and more ripped off because I know I could have done better for a fraction of the price. And, being a cook for so many years, I know what to look for and can tell you pretty much exactly what went into the preparation. It doesn't take much to wreck a night out, weather it is service or food quality. I am not a Foodie, but I do expect things to be done right.

Restaurants are some of the only places that you have to pay for something you didn't particularly like. For the most part, you can't look at your meal and then decide you will take it, like a retail product. If I knew what I was getting half of the time I wouldn't have ordered it. In some cases there may be nothing intrinsically wrong with it, but, you just don't like it, so you can't just send it back. Then, it becomes a question of do you want to cause a scene or have the staff hate you? If it has reached that point, then it is a bad experience, say what you want. Franchises are the worst for that. Nice glossy photos on the menu and what you get is nothing like them. I pretty much stopped eating in franchises all together.

I wonder what would happen if you decided to only pay a percentage based on the deficiencies of the food you ordered/ate? If it wasn't 100% to your liking then you could knock off a few bucks and give them what you thought was suitable. After all, sometimes they are knowingly passing stuff off that could and has been done better.
Old 05-10-2014, 01:08 AM   #8
Wine Guy

I like going out to places where I get meals that would either be difficult to make at home, or just not practical.

For example, I know a lot of people dislike those trendy little restaurants where they give you undersized portions with a lot of foo-foo on the plate. I actually like those kinds of places. I look at it somewhat like edible art, and try to appreciate it more from that aspect than whether or not it's going to fill me to the brim. I like it when chefs do something that I haven't seen before. It's like dinner theater.

I also like ethnic restaurants. Thai, for example. Although I dabble in Thai cooking on occasion, for the most part it would be impractical to make some of those dishes at home, unless I ate them frequently. Who could afford to have all those ingredients around that you only use for that type of cuisine? Same goes for sushi.

But to go out for something like a steak makes no sense to me. I can make a steak at home as good as any restaurant, and for a fraction of the price.
Old 05-10-2014, 01:50 AM   #9
Head Chef

When I go out, usually 2 things go through my mind.
The first is, if I like it a lot, I try to figure out how I can recreate it at home.
Unfortunately, many times I fall short. But thats the fun of it, trying to recreate or improve upon these things.

the other thing that typically goes through my mind, is how I can make the same thing for a fraction of the price. I try not to think about it, and realize that Im out for social reasons, atmosphere, trying new things .... But when i get my check after dinner, ( and since I do all the food shopping in my house), it sometimes drives me crazy
Old 05-10-2014, 05:21 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

My parents, me and my sister and all of our kids grew up on seafood. So when I go out to a restaurant and order seafood, I expect the seafood to be cooked correctly. It is not that hard. Don't overcook it.

My youngest took me out to a restaurant that was known for its seafood. I ordered shrimp scampi. I couldn't even get my fork into the shrimp and they added the alcohol at the very end without cooking it off. Totally inedible. They took the price of the dish off the final bill along with the desserts.

The best dish I ever had in a restaurant was Linguini Alfredo. The sauce was to absolutely die for. I used my spoon to make sure I got every last drop. I even let my sister have a couple of mouthfuls. We had gone to see The Lion King, and after the show went to Teatro on Tremont Street. We got seated just before the rush of the after theatre crowd. The next time I was taken out to eat, guess which restaurant I chose.

Tags
eating