Effect of ice shock on meat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

andrew_ysk

Assistant Cook
Hii,

I just cannot find the effect of ice shock on meat..:ermm:

i heard once that after water boiled poultry for 15 mins, shock it in icy water, this will make the meat ...... skin.... hence taste good..

what's is it all about. ? i tried to look for explanation or even recipie of this ice shock method.. but nil..

can someone kind enough tell me how this is done..
and is it only for chicken meat or applicable for pork :pig: and other meat as well ?
how is it goes about ?

andrew

Hi, Andrew. :) I've never heard of this either, and don't think I'd want to plunge cooked meat in ice water like I sometimes do with veggies. :ermm: Your best bet is to let meat and chicken rest after cooking, covered lightly, to let the juices redistribute before cutting into it.

When properly cooking meat, it's not cooked to temperature then shocked, it's cooked to a few degrees less then left to rest as it comes up to full temperature. I've never heard of shocking meat in any of the many sources I've been in contact with during my life.

My resources are certainly not comprehensive, but they are fairly representative. I'd think that somewhere I'd have at least heard of it.

I do it with shrimp, to stop the cooking.

I would think that if you did it with chicken you would lose quite a bit of flavor.

I might try it with BSCBs if I was in a hurry to make a chicken salad, not to improve the flavor just to cool it down.

I wonder if it might be done in institutional or restaurant kitchens to cool things quickly and reduce risk of bacteria.

Off to see google! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I agree with everyone here. Not only would you be left with cold meat, but I am afraid that as you shock it, the meat will be stringy and tough. Especially since you have already boiled it.

Back
Top Bottom