Egg Cooking Issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know BT. I use the bags because they give me great turkey and since I'm not serving it to anyone but James and myself, I don't care if it gets crisp skin. I was just responding to the question of whether or not a cooking bag would give you crisp skin. (The turkey that is--if you want crisp skin, just don't use a high SPF). :LOL:

:)Barbara

Don't know much about cooking but the principle sounds solid

genearlly not much enthusiasm for help boiling eggs or automatic timer so i'm going to concentrate on a help poaching to help beginners, no mess, with a good shape poached egg and full covering of white. A lot of people don't even attempt to boil a poched egg becaus theyr scared so there is a market

IMO if you don't know much about cooking then you probably shouldn't be inventing gadgets for people who do.

You'll probably have better luck designing things in an area you know more about.

There are already egg poaching gadgets galore on the market to help beginners or others who have issues with this technique. And remember most people rarely if ever poach eggs (and not because they are scared).

Trying to market a gadget for performing a task that is rarely undertaken by the populace in general when there are already such gadgets available to them does not sound like the wisest of business plans to me.

... Interesting to hear as i've been asking around and people generally have a lot more problems . I guess it must be a confidence thing and people on a cooking forum probably have more experience !

I think you'll find the general population is more and more treating food as an inconvenient necessity where people on cooking forums see food as an adventure and a form of art and expression, to name only two.

I'm curious, does your project have to be feasible, practical and marketable? Or does it only have to work?

In skimming the thread I have come up with numerous solutions, and they just keep coming.

The bottom line, your going to have a hard time making a marketable device for egg poaching when all that's needed is a $2 pot and straining spoon or ladle, unless you need to do it on an industrial scale.

jennyema- no offence but i disagree with everthing you said. i know alot about design and i promise you most products on the planet can be well improved especially with climate change a big issue e.g. biodrgradable materials, power etc. current poaching products have flaws, i will send you a spec of why mine is better if you arent convinced! that isn't me trying to sell you some :)

this isnt a half arsed effort. have done a 2000 word research report looking at market that has been checked by tutors and designers. theer is a market and poaching is more popular than you think. a lot of issues put people off doing it and fear of ending up with "egg soup" is a big one, i admit i dont know a lot about cooking and thats why im here. get a different view of somethin if you dont know much about it.

wart- its a 6 month final project for my degree. has to be taken far enough as to be displayed at design shows for companies. has to be more developed than something on say dragons den/ american inventor with material specs, stress testing, legal/safety standards, prototype, manufacture plan, environmental blah blah... pretty much has to ready to give to someone ready to be mass manufactured. alot of these projects have been sold in the past so its taken pretty serious:)

yeah there are a lot of ways but and i've cut down about 250 ideas to the one im developing.

sorry for goin on, spend my days arguing with tutors, they oush you hard to make sure ur not bulls@#ing them

jennyema- no offence but i disagree with everthing you said.

You shouldn't because she has some good points about the number of widgets already out there.

i know alot about design and i promise you most products on the planet can be well improved

Hmmm, I wonder who designed them?

Sorry, couldn't resist a spot of irony.

especially with climate change a big issue e.g. biodrgradable materials, power

How does heating a mass of water in order to transmit a small portion of the heat to an egg compare to a straight out low temp fry to sunny side up eggs in terms of power consumption?

What parts of your apparatus are going to be biodegradable? Are these materials food safe?

current poaching products have flaws, i will send you a spec of why mine is better .... this isnt a half arsed effort. have done a 2000 word research report looking at market that has been checked by tutors and designers.

Where can we see it?

One thing about having it checked, etc. A Story:

In one of my psych classes the Prof had one of her students fulfill the last requirement for her Masters, that being presentation of her Masters Thesis. This student put forth that 25% of males are type H, 25% of females are type H, thus 50% of the population is type H. My hand shot up. Student didn't want to hear you couldn't add percentages. Had to enplane it to the PHD Prof, too.

This 'thesis' had made it through the 6 person review board consisting of people holding higher degrees and was on the way to the publishers.

That's just one true story.

Because your proposal made it through tutors and designers means something, what it means is open to discussion.

i admit i dont know a lot about cooking and thats why im here. get a different view of somethin if you dont know much about it.

Can every surface be cleaned and sanitized? No nooks and crannies for material to work it's way into or get stuck in then back out or fall out of after it's aged and grown a few pathogens?

its a 6 month final project for my degree. has to be taken far enough as to be displayed at design shows for companies. has to be more developed than something on say dragons den/ American inventor

I had to look up American Inventor to remember it. I saw part of one show the first season, didn't care to look again.

with material specs, stress testing, legal/safety standards, prototype, manufacture plan, environmental blah blah... alot of these projects have been sold in the past so its taken pretty serious:)

I wouldn't use Blah Blah for something I am taking seriously. Every aspect is important. If you don't think so wait till a prospective buyer asks a question you can't answer.

yeah there are a lot of ways but and i've cut down about 250 ideas to the one im developing.

In writing my two replies I have had about two dozen ideas and have envisioned the construction of the prototype.

fair enough jennyema is right there are a lot of products out there and like I said I believ mine takes care of a few of their faults. Just because there are hundreds of tvs, cars, camers etc out there does that mean they are perfect? and people shouldnt bother trying to immprove them ? try to take advantage of new laws/regs/materials/manufacturing technology? like all of them my design will have problems

you are right it takes more power, but a tiny amount as the hob is being used for similar times at similar temps. Power is more an issue in manufacturing process, transportation and disposal for prodcuts this size.

the biodegradable materials I have looked at are new and made by Mirel. They are currently waiting for FDA approval. The more likely material is PTFE coated fabric and some kind of silicone, whcih are FDA approved.

when the prototype and Product spec are done and dusted you'l be the first to know. no point seeing it now as its a long way and i wouldnt want to give you more ammo :). Im sure tutors arent infallible but they're a lot more experienced than me so i have to tka emost of their opinions. They do expect us to disagree as tho

three test models have been scrapped because they have areas for dirt, pathogens, bacteria to grow. To be honest the cleaning aspect is the biggest problem so far

that programme and most of the ideas are a joke but somewhere there wil be a good idea. everyone starts with far more ideas but try developing them and and they soon get cut down. but if you have got a great idea then good luck to you and show me when its done

tom

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom