"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-06-2013, 12:41 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jing View Post
That must involve a lot of rather messy unpeeling for the person serving, surely?? Doesn't the yolk run all over the place if you aren't careful??
No. I have a grapefruit spoon that is smaller then your regular spoon and scoop out the egg. The yolk doesn't break until I break it in the bowl. Break the egg toward the top and remove. Using a spoon you scoop out the egg and then the part your removed first.

Old 12-06-2013, 01:23 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
We always used egg cups at my house. I really disliked it when the egg was served scooped out of the shell. My Mormor (mother's mother) did that when I was 4-5 years old. I always felt it was the baby way to eat soft boiled eggs.

Old 12-06-2013, 01:32 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
We always used egg cups at my house. I really disliked it when the egg was served scooped out of the shell. My Mormor (mother's mother) did that when I was 4-5 years old. I always felt it was the baby way to eat soft boiled eggs.
I was a little kid the first time I ever saw an egg served this way. I had no idea how to eat it. I honestly thought you were supposed to eat the shell and all. I left the egg there.
Old 12-06-2013, 02:17 PM   #24
Cook

That's so funny, Addie! I suppose it depends on our origins. Like tax lady, I live in Canada now, where I think egg cups are fairly commonplace? Plus I was brought up in the UK where everyone's kitchen crockery includes a set of egg cups...it's definitely the way you eat soft boiled eggs there unless, as tax lady says, you are a baby. I do have fond recollections of my grandma giving me a shelled soft egg cut up on buttered toast when I was a very tiny little thing.
Old 12-06-2013, 02:47 PM   #25
Head Chef

Quote:
That's so funny, Addie! I suppose it depends on our origins. Like tax lady, I live in Canada now, where I think egg cups are fairly commonplace? Plus I was brought up in the UK where everyone's kitchen crockery includes a set of egg cups...it's definitely the way you eat soft boiled eggs there unless, as tax lady says, you are a baby. I do have fond recollections of my grandma giving me a shelled soft egg cut up on buttered toast when I was a very tiny little thing.
I agree that it seems to be more of an English thing. I'm English and Welsh on my mother's side, and it was her mother (family name Griffith) who taught us how to eat an egg in the shell using an egg cup.
Old 12-06-2013, 03:41 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Maybe it's a European thing. My mum was Danish and my dad was Swedish.
Old 12-06-2013, 05:29 PM   #27
Master Chef

I have a couple of these kicking around, but I never use them.

Never attempted the egg in the shell, I don't function too well first thing in the morning!

Old 12-06-2013, 06:20 PM   #28
Head Chef

Quote:
OMG I have never thought of eating soft boiled eggs any other way but in an egg cup! How do you eat them if you don't use an egg cup??
Here's how. My eggs come out of the fridge pretty cold. I punch a hole in one end, boil for 5 minutes (cause my eggs are very cold) and bring the pan to the sink. I start my toaster. I run a little cold water on them (they are hot), pick them up and hit them on the counter. I lay a paper towel on the counter for the shells and proceed to peel the shells off. Because they are hot, I run them under a stream of cold water a couple of times while peeling. I put them into a small serving bowl just as the toast pops up. The eggs stay warm as I move everything to the table because they haven't been broken into yet. I'm fine with this method...I've gotten good at it.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:18 PM   #29
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
Here's how. My eggs come out of the fridge pretty cold. I punch a hole in one end, boil for 5 minutes (cause my eggs are very cold) and bring the pan to the sink. I start my toaster. I run a little cold water on them (they are hot), pick them up and hit them on the counter. I lay a paper towel on the counter for the shells and proceed to peel the shells off. Because they are hot, I run them under a stream of cold water a couple of times while peeling. I put them into a small serving bowl just as the toast pops up. The eggs stay warm as I move everything to the table because they haven't been broken into yet. I'm fine with this method...I've gotten good at it.
I have been wanting to give this method a try since I saw an episode of Essential Pepin where they were making mollet eggs. I am interested in the presentation of the soft cooked whole egg in a bowl of soup.

Tomato Chowder With Mollet Eggs | Essential Pepin

One question for you, does the age of the egg make a difference in the removal of the shell?
Old 12-06-2013, 07:53 PM   #30
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I have been wanting to give this method a try since I saw an episode of Essential Pepin where they were making mollet eggs. I am interested in the presentation of the soft cooked whole egg in a bowl of soup.

Tomato Chowder With Mollet Eggs | Essential Pepin

One question for you, does the age of the egg make a difference in the removal of the shell?
No it doesn't. The key is that when you start peeling the egg, use your thumb to start the membrane pulling off too. When you do, the shells peel off quite easily (with a little practice).