"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 04-26-2006, 07:29 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Lightbulb Egg cutting

How do you cut an egg shell so that you can place the cooked product back inside?

Old 04-27-2006, 03:53 AM   #2
Hospitality Queen

I suppose you'd want to break a few extra eggs till you got nice halves, (save them for another purpose), then use the smoother side of an emery board to file the sharp edges down. Wash the egg and thoroughly dry. Then you can fill your egg cups with your cooked goodies. Hope that helped :)

Old 04-27-2006, 08:03 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

I think you can sort of tap the end gently until it cracks. Then take a pair of scissors and cut around the edge to make a hole. I saw this done on Behind the Bash for a big "do".
Old 04-27-2006, 09:57 AM   #4
Contest Winner

You can also buy egg shell cutters/toppers specifically for this purpose. I have one that I use to cut the tops of my soft boiled eggs. Here is a link to one similar to the one I have.
Old 04-27-2006, 06:50 PM   #5
Master Chef

You could do what I've seen some chefs do on TV and just use a knife and carefully whack around the end of the egg - but it comes out rather jagged. So, if you are looking for something smother I would go with an "cutter type" egg topper like grumblebee showed (around $5). Another version along this line is made by Zyliss (about $15), and one from Italy (about $30).

If you want to go pro and get an even smoother cut - then you need one of the "bell" shaped toppers, and they will cost you more. On the low end is the "Clack" egg topper (about $25-$30 but seems to be only available online from the UK or Germany) or the iNOX which uses a plunger and cost anywhere from $45-$95 depending on where you buy it.

Only the bell type cutters mention being suitable for raw as well as cooked eggs. The cutter types only mention "cooked" eggs - don't know how they would work on raw eggs - maybe grumblebee could shed some light on that.
Old 04-27-2006, 07:09 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Depending upon how fancy you wish to get with the presentation you may wish to look into something like a Dremel Rotary Tool (http://www.dremel.com/en-us/tools/to...y.htm?H=188091) to saw through the egg shells. I envisioned a presentation of cutting the egg shell around the long perimeter rather than the narrow diameter.

You may wish to poke a hole in the top and bottom and blow out the contents first.
Old 04-27-2006, 09:21 PM   #7
Master Chef

Have you ever tried to cut a raw egg shell, with the raw egg still inside it, with a Dremel tool, Aurora?
Old 04-27-2006, 09:24 PM   #8
Senior Cook

That's why I included the last sentence.

Quote:
You may wish to poke a hole in the top and bottom and blow out the contents first.
I dare say that you will have the same problem cutting the shell of any raw egg with a fancy egg cutter or a rotary tool. That is, one **** of a mess! You'd have shell fragments and bits all through the raw egg. I'm rather sure that the sizzor type egg cutters are intended to be used on cooked eggs.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:28 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

I saw a perfectly soft boiled egg in shell on an episode of Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmerman at the Grand Hotel in St. Petersburg, Russia. The edges of the shell were so perfectly smooth that the emptied smaller portion was used on edge decoratively! I suppose the chef could've made the perfect shell separately, Emory board and all, then loaded the newly cooked egg into it, but was hoping an all in one solution possible.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:55 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Well the home of Fabergé eggs... what do you expect?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Holythreadresurrection_zps3e8d65ee.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	19958