"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-06-2011, 04:27 PM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

Back in the old days, you'd take the top off the cooked egg, but not down to the edge of the egg cup. Then you'd use an egg spoon (shorter handle and smaller bowl) to scoop out the egg. There was enough eggshell exposed above the edge of the cup so you could steady it with your other hand.

It's about technique, not equipment.

Old 09-06-2011, 05:02 PM   #12
Sous Chef

there goes Andy off the deep end . . . inventing a solution in search of a problem! (g)

Old 09-06-2011, 06:28 PM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcSaute View Post
there goes Andy off the deep end . . . inventing a solution in search of a problem! (g)
I can assure you egg slippage was never an issue when egg cups were popular. Nor did folks glue eggs into the cups.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:29 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

We always just scooped the egg out with a teaspoon into a teacup with a slice of bread torn up into the cup first.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 12:55 AM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcSaute View Post
I got an egg cup in Germany with left handed threads. you screw the egg in and it stays put.

unfortunately it's of no use in USA because over here the hens all lay eggs with English threads, not metric.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Goodweed... I've heard some of those rubber egg holders are ribbed
For whos pleasure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Back in the old days, you'd take the top off the cooked egg, but not down to the edge of the egg cup. Then you'd use an egg spoon (shorter handle and smaller bowl) to scoop out the egg. There was enough eggshell exposed above the edge of the cup so you could steady it with your other hand.

YUP! Mom used demi tasse spoons.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:34 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post

What a crude way to crack open an egg, this just confirms my belief that you ex colonial serfs learned nothing from your Imperial masters
The picture show my 50 yrs old eggy cup Bolas, to the left is my egg spoon. It's silver with a gold plated bowl,the bowl is plated because silver gives the egg a bitter taste, note the design of the bowl. The egg cutter to the right is George 11 by H Bateman the greatest female Silversmith of the period.
In the first pic you will notice an un open newspaper, this should be place to the left and the outside should be ironed to give a good crease.
Boiled eggs should be treated with dignity and respect.Its about tecnique and equipment
Click image for larger version

Name:	garden & BBQ 499.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	11993clic on pic to make bigger.
Ps good tecnique and equip is needed also to make the classic eggy soldiers.
Old 09-07-2011, 03:05 AM   #17
Certified Cake Maniac

Bolas, do you mean toast soldiers? It was the only way I could ever eat runny eggs. Even as a young girl I never had any problems with my eggs. I would hold it in the cup with one hand, tap it with a knife or spoon with the other and slice through (about a half inch or so from the top). Then my Mom would give me a piece of toast that was sliced into one inch strips that I would dip into the runny yolk.

It isn't really a matter of technique or equipment, just practice!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 03:56 AM   #18
Executive Chef

No LP, I have passion for eggs and I am very pedantic about their cooking and how to eat them
An eggy soldier is a toasted soldier after it has been buttered and dipped.
The use of the word soldier is to indicate the stiffness required by the strip of toast, the width of said soldier is critical and should relate to the size and type of egg, to thin you get snappage to wide and you get yolk overflow, this should be taken very seriously as overflow is no yolk.
The bread you toast and the buttering is also pertinent, I used medium sliced wholemeal hovis toasted to no 4 on my dualit toaster, this ensures the correct stiffness I then slice to the required width and leave the soldiers to cool. I then butter both sides and stack like a shinto shrine to allow for air circulation.
Please take note, a soggy soldier is a crime eggainst humanity
Ps would you like my methods for perfect eggs.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:08 AM   #19
Certified Cake Maniac

I don't remember too much about all that as I was young (and due to a throat condition can't eat runny eggs of any kind anymore) and my Mom would just supply me with the egg and buttered toast strips (soldiers). It worked, I liked it and all was good!

I appreciate the offer for proper cooking methods and if you would like to post them that is great. However, I am very particular about cooking boiled eggs to any stage, soft, medium and hard and have my own "perfect" methods!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 06:49 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Love your egg eating utensils, Bolas.
Would it be improper to color a ring of hair around the egg before placing it in the monk holder?

Tags
egg