"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-17-2013, 08:26 AM   #101
Executive Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 4,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
As long as I'm allowed to whisk it, I can down raw eggs.
When I was a little girl my mother was recovering from a serious illness and, to build her up, the doctor recommended an egg whisked up in a glass of sherry to be taken every morning . She hated both sherry and the raw egg so used to hold her breath while she swallowed it down in one.

The medical world would have hysterics if anyone prescribed this nowadays!
__________________

__________________
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:29 AM   #102
Executive Chef
 
bakechef's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
UK supermarkets sell bags of ice cubes (!!!) in the freezer section but the really lunatic product is frozen ready-made omelettes which take longer to re-heat than it takes to make a fresh one!
Every supermarket here sells large bags of ice cubes 10-20 pound bags, usually used to fill a cooler chest for the beach, picnic, sporting event etc..
__________________

__________________
I'm Bloggin'

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:57 AM   #103
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,874
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
I can imagine that it's because people can't be bothered to cook and peel eggs. You'd be shocked if you worked in a grocery store and saw every day just how many people can't be bothered to do for themselves. Convenience products sell like crazy.

It could also be a suburban vs country thing. When I lived in Maine, during the holiday season we would bring in pallets of baking supplies. When I moved here a suburb, we brought in pallets of pre made pies and cookies instead. Pre made pies were something that just didn't sell well back home. I'm pretty sure that I'd never even tried one until I moved here.
Some people just can't be bothered to cook. I have a friend who ate all of his meals in restos until he got married. I once moved into an apartment and we had to ask the landlord to have the gas turned back on. It couldn't just be turned on - it had to be certified by a licensed plumber because it had been off for more than a year. The previous tenant didn't cook and didn't want to pay the monthly minimum for gas, when that was just for the stove.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 10:52 AM   #104
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 3,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
Every supermarket here sells large bags of ice cubes 10-20 pound bags, usually used to fill a cooler chest for the beach, picnic, sporting event etc..

They sell bags of ice everywhere around here. When I know in advance that we are having a party, I put ice cubes in plastic bags and put them in my big freezer so I don't have to buy bags of ice. I have never bought a bag of ice.
__________________
CarolPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 10:53 AM   #105
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 3,029
I would not eat a raw egg, but I have been known to eat cookie dough that contains raw eggs. Somehow it's just not the same. I also eat eggs with runny yolks, but not runny whites.
__________________
CarolPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 10:57 AM   #106
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 3,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
First saw those in the Orlando, FL area, in bags and little clamshells that held 3-6 eggs. I figured they were good for people who would run into the store to pick up wholesome munchies before heading to one of the parks. They were the first stores I would see packages of prepared relishes too, like bags of cut-up celery or carrots. Bags of cheese squares. That kind of stuff. Don't know whether the ideas started in FL and spread, but they must be popular because so many people just don't care about cooking or food like us here at DC.

The one time I was going to buy pre-shredded cabbage for coleslaw they were out of it, so I guess I'm just not meant to take those shortcuts. I cut up my own veggies most of the time, but on occasion I have bought the little bags of cut up broccoli and cauliflower if I needed a small amount and didn't want the big bunches to go to waste. It seems when you buy broccoli and cauliflower you get so much, more than I would use for 2 people, and it doesn't keep long. Could I cut it up and freeze it?
__________________
CarolPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 11:06 AM   #107
Executive Chef
 
bakechef's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,082
I do buy salad mixes. By the time I buy assorted greens I would spend a small fortune, and have way too much that would go to waste. This way we each get a side salad to go with dinner and he gets to take one to work the next day, no waste. I usually buy shredded lettuce for tacos too, it's all about not wasting food, although buying a head of lettuce would be cheaper, but then I'd have to remember to use it all.
__________________
I'm Bloggin'

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 11:10 AM   #108
Executive Chef
 
bakechef's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
The one time I was going to buy pre-shredded cabbage for coleslaw they were out of it, so I guess I'm just not meant to take those shortcuts. I cut up my own veggies most of the time, but on occasion I have bought the little bags of cut up broccoli and cauliflower if I needed a small amount and didn't want the big bunches to go to waste. It seems when you buy broccoli and cauliflower you get so much, more than I would use for 2 people, and it doesn't keep long. Could I cut it up and freeze it?
I buy the crowns (I don't like broccoli stumps) those are sold individual clumps instead of three stalks bundled together. I buy one crown for each of us on average. I don't buy cauliflower because I don't care for it.

I think that if you blanch broccoli (maybe even cauliflower) then you can freeze it.
__________________
I'm Bloggin'

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 12:29 PM   #109
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 3,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
I do buy salad mixes. By the time I buy assorted greens I would spend a small fortune, and have way too much that would go to waste. This way we each get a side salad to go with dinner and he gets to take one to work the next day, no waste. I usually buy shredded lettuce for tacos too, it's all about not wasting food, although buying a head of lettuce would be cheaper, but then I'd have to remember to use it all.

I quit buying bagged salad when they had those recalls for salmonella. DH wouldn't eat it anyway. He only likes iceberg, and green leaf.

I think I will try freezing broccoli and cauliflower. I have a food saver that vacuum seals. It can't hurt to try. If it doesn't work, then I learned.

Still won't buy those pre-cooked eggs. Yuk!
__________________
CarolPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 12:43 PM   #110
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post

I quit buying bagged salad when they had those recalls for salmonella. DH wouldn't eat it anyway. He only likes iceberg, and green leaf.

I think I will try freezing broccoli and cauliflower. I have a food saver that vacuum seals. It can't hurt to try. If it doesn't work, then I learned.

Still won't buy those pre-cooked eggs. Yuk!
Anything that is grown on the ground can have salmonella in it, since that's where the bacteria is. That said, buy what you like I buy the packages of three romaine hearts and use them for any lettuce needs we have. I make salads 2-4 times a week, and they last at least that long, so we rarely have waste.

I don't buy pre-cooked eggs because they're usually overcooked and tough, but I don't think there's any safety reason to eat hard-cooked eggs the same day they're cooked.
__________________

__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
egg

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.