"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-09-2013, 09:58 AM   #61
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
It depends on the recipe. Some call for equal parts water to vinegar, others call for more vinegar than water. Some recipes include sugar, others don't. I'm guessing it is the vinegar that causes that to happen and the ratio of water:vinegar.

And, you don't want to know how long eggs can sit in a warehouse before they make it to the store. To check the freshness of your eggs, submerge them in water (I use one of those plastic tubs when I wash eggs). The freshest ones will stay on the bottom, horizontal. It is not unusual to get some really fresh eggs and some older eggs in the same carton.

I pickle my eggs in beet juice. Put the juice in a big jar, add the eggs and whatever amount of vinegar needed to cover the eggs. I like them, even rubbery!

I know you said that eggs are good for 45 days. Would the date on the carton be 45 days from when they were laid? I don't usually check my eggs, but I do see them stand up in the pan sometimes. I don't pay much attention to it. My husband says that if they actually float, don't eat them. LOL

I just checked my eggs that I bought 2 days ago at the discount grocery. They lie perfectly flat in the bottom of the pan and the exp date is 8/26/13.

Old 08-09-2013, 12:37 PM   #62
Chef Extraordinaire

This might answer your question:

Sell date of eggs, Sell by date on eggs, Date Codes on Egg Cartons, How Fresh Are Your Eggs?

Old 08-09-2013, 02:22 PM   #63
Sous Chef

there's not a lot of secrets to this, but there is a lot of partial information and outdated information and 'old tales' floating around.

first, none of it applies if the eggs are not USDA inspected/graded.
that may not be the case for small local suppliers and may also happen where the eggs are not in interstate commerce. inside a state, rules vary.

Reference:

Agricultural Marketing Service - When & Where Packed

/quote
If an expiration date is used, it must be printed in month/day format and preceded by the appropriate prefix. "EXP", "Sell By", "Not to be sold after the date at the end of the carton" are examples of expiration dates. Expiration dates can be no more than 30 days from the day the eggs were packed into the carton.

Another type of code dating used indicates the recommended maximum length of time that the consumer can expect eggs to maintain their quality when stored under ideal conditions. Terminology such as "Use by", Use before", "Best before" indicates a period that the eggs should be consumed before overall quality diminishes. Code dating using these terms may not exceed 45 days including the day the eggs were packed into the carton.
/unquote

note the specific phrase: from the date of packing - which is _not_ when the chicken laid the egg.

to the best of my knowledge, there are no time rules for how long eggs may be stored from date laid to date packed - however there was a batch of rule changes regarding storage/refrigeration/etc a while back - including a prohibition on "reprocessing" eggs - so whether there is a current "chicken to packaging" time limit, don't know.
Old 08-09-2013, 04:56 PM   #64
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks for the information. I don't live in the US and don't sell my eggs commercially (nor have I bought eggs for over 3 years), so that question was one I could not answer from experience. I know when I collect my eggs. I also know that here in Ontario, eggs can sit in the warehouse for a long time before they are washed and packaged.
Old 08-10-2013, 12:21 AM   #65
Chef Extraordinaire

I find it amazing that we have 4 pages of discussion about eggs, but no one has asked about the nutrition value of whole eggs vs. egg whites. Who knew we could have so many questions about eggs and so many answers. Nature's perfect food--eggs.
Old 08-10-2013, 10:39 AM   #66
Executive Chef

Quote:
I find it amazing that we have 4 pages of discussion about eggs, but no one has asked about the nutrition value of whole eggs vs. egg whites. Who knew we could have so many questions about eggs and so many answers. Nature's perfect food--eggs.

I looked it up.

Eggs Whites vs. Whole Eggs, Whole Eggs, Egg White Nutrition, Egg Yolk Nutrition

I have always considered eggs and milk to be the 2 most nutritious foods. That does not mean I want to expand this discussion to include milk. I know about the controversy. My husband thinks eggs are evil. LOL We get into it all the time because I eat eggs and I have heart disease. I don't believe eggs are the cause of it, even though my cardiologist would probably tell me not to eat them. I ate egg beaters for a while but my husband thought they were bad, too, so I figured I might as well be enjoying what I really like.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:01 AM   #67
Chef Extraordinaire

LOL. If you look at how much cholesterol is in Eggbeaters, you would see that there is more than in eggs. Eggs have gotten a bad rap however, the cholesterol in eggs is blood (serum) cholesterol so most people do not process it as "bad" cholesterol. Most of the nutritional value is in the yolk, as is the fat and most of the cholesterol. However, if one does not eat a high fat diet, eggs are not "bad." My doctor buys 3 dozen eggs from me every 2 weeks. She grew up in Eastern Europe and does not buy into the "eggs are bad for you" theory. My cholesterol is great, my bp is normal, and my BMI is good. The DH eats 2 eggs / day. His cholesterol barely registers. He eats very little fat, mostly veggies, not a lot of red meat.
Old 08-10-2013, 01:28 PM   #68
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
LOL. If you look at how much cholesterol is in Eggbeaters, you would see that there is more than in eggs...
Eggbeaters contain no cholesterol. They are made from egg whites.
Old 08-10-2013, 01:29 PM   #69
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post

Eggbeaters contain no cholesterol. They are made from egg whites.
That's what I thought too.
Old 08-10-2013, 01:32 PM   #70
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

It's the sodium content and extra ingredients of eggbeaters that I am not happy with.

Tags
egg