Egg Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My town just passed an ordinance in June allowing chickens, with some restrictions, like a minimum lot size and maximum number of chickens. I signed a petition to allow it, although my lot is too small for us to have them. I figure they can't be any more bothersome than dogs.

It's my understanding that many municipalities banned chickens because, as people moved to the suburbs, they wanted a new lifestyle and didn't want to live as if they were on a farm.

I am your neighbor, Garlic....in PA. Our town just passed the same ordinance, but it said in the paper that there were 5 parties interested in having chickens, so I don't expect a lot of people around here to do it. The coops have to be off the ground and meet certain specifications. They are not allowed to keep a rooster....no crowing allowed! LOL Any slaughtering must be done indoors. I thing they are limited to 7 chickens. I live in a neighborhood of mostly elderly people. I love eggs and would like to have fresh ones daily, but I will not be raising chickens.

I tried Egg Beaters and Better N Eggs and then I tried WalMart store brand. I found those to taste the most like eggs and the price was lower. But since they didn't stop my husband from hounding me about eating too many eggs, I went back to eating the whole eggs that I like.

The birth of the modern suburb was a time when many of us were seeking to define ourselves as sophisticated and more like those in the cosmopolitan city than like those in unfashionable rural small towns and farming communities. The car was a symbol of that cosmopolitan lifestyle, so we eliminated sidewalks – why, after all, would anyone walk who could afford to drive? The sidewalk became a symbol of poverty and backwardness. Later generations regretted that decision and many have retrofitted sidewalks and streetlights in their neighborhoods.

(Appendix G)"

I grew up in the city. I have never lived rural, but moved to the suburbs in my 30's. I really missed the sidewalks. I like to walk through the neighborhood and I want a sidewalk to walk on, but I have grown accustomed to it now. Let me tell you about the first time I went to the county fair. My daughter and her husband were going and asked if I wanted to come along. It was a first for me, after living in the city. I went through the animal displays and I was totally appalled at the smell! I saw young children, taking their cows up to the milking house in their bare feet, walking through that ##$%^@ whatever. LOL I would have been wearing boots! LOL I swore I would never go there again. But I went back the next year, and the next, and now it's an annual thing for me, and sometimes I go to the fair in the next county, too. I even entered an afghan in the craft show and won a yellow ribbon with my first ever entry. The only reason I don't think I could live rural now is because at my age, I don't want to be so far away from the stores etc. I like having my grocery 1 mile away and Kohls Target and Walmart 5 miles away.

...I live in a rural area--city folks move out here and they don't like it that the farmers spread manure on their fields. If you didn't want to live in the country, you should've stayed in the City is my opinion...

That's true about a lot of stuff CW. If you don't want to deal with _______, don't move to where you'll have to deal with _______! It amazes me that people will move to a neighborhood that borders a highway...and then lobby to have those ugly barricades built. Um, the freeway was there first people!

Enjoy your country life and all the benefits it offers. Too many people don't realize how necessary it is to have peace and quiet.

I grew up in a suburb of LA, that was built not long after WWII. There were sidewalks. Sidewalks are important for kids.

The suburb I live in now, mostly built in the '70s, is short on sidewalks. Luckily there are sidewalks on my street and all the way to the dépanneur (convenience store in Québec), actually, all the way to the closest SAQ (province owned liquor store).

I grew up in a suburb of LA, that was built not long after WWII. There were sidewalks. Sidewalks are important for kids.

I remember roller skating up and down the sidewalk when I was a kid. Where I live now and where my son lives, there's no where for my grandson to ride his bike. He has to be taken somewhere to ride his bike.

I remember roller skating up and down the sidewalk when I was a kid. Where I live now and where my son lives, there's no where for my grandson to ride his bike. He has to be taken somewhere to ride his bike.
You know, I was thinking about the roller skating too. Remember those clamp on roller skates that could be turned into a skate board when you felt you were too old for roller skates?

Ah, I thought of another egg question. Why do people buy those already boiled and peeled eggs in the little plastic bag? I was so shocked when I saw them, because we eat all our HBEs with a day of cooking them. The only thing I can figure out is that they don't usually buy eggs, but are making something like potato salad or egg salad that calls for HBEs.

I don't know. Restaurants/commercial kitchens buy them by the case. The eggs stink when you cut open the bag and must be rinsed. I certainly don't buy them.

Ah, I thought of another egg question. Why do people buy those already boiled and peeled eggs in the little plastic bag? I was so shocked when I saw them, because we eat all our HBEs with a day of cooking them. The only thing I can figure out is that they don't usually buy eggs, but are making something like potato salad or egg salad that calls for HBEs.
Never heard of that.

I can think of one good reason: Imagine you are about to take a trip by bus or train and you need something to eat that's actually food. Much better for you than a bag of chips or a Twinkie.

I would be concerned about the stuff they probably put on the eggs to make them stay fresh. Luckily, if it is sold as food, it should say in the ingredients.

Never heard of that.

I can think of one good reason: Imagine you are about to take a trip by bus or train and you need something to eat that's actually food. Much better for you than a bag of chips or a Twinkie.

I would be concerned about the stuff they probably put on the eggs to make them stay fresh. Luckily, if it is sold as food, it should say in the ingredients.

I would rather take an egg I cooked at home. I would know when it was cooked. Maybe they don't have these in Canada. Here in Pennsylvania, we have them above the display of eggs in the dairy case. You might not have noticed them. The day I first noticed them I had to call my husband over because I knew he wouldn't believe me without seeing them. He would never eat an egg that wasn't cooked the same day.

I haven't seen them in grocery stores here, but I don't really look in the egg section except one in a while to look at how small the large eggs are <g>. Institutional kitchens order them by the case. The eggs are prepared by one of the large egg producers. They are tumbled to peel them and the eggs used are usually the older eggs. And, they give off a very strong sulfur smell, tend to be somewhat rubbery, and the yolks dry and a bit crumbly. Nothing like the hard cooked eggs I make at home.

I would rather take an egg I cooked at home. I would know when it was cooked. Maybe they don't have these in Canada. Here in Pennsylvania, we have them above the display of eggs in the dairy case. You might not have noticed them. The day I first noticed them I had to call my husband over because I knew he wouldn't believe me without seeing them. He would never eat an egg that wasn't cooked the same day.
I was talking about when you don't have time to cook at home or when you aren't leaving from home, like on the way home.

Ah, I thought of another egg question. Why do people buy those already boiled and peeled eggs in the little plastic bag?....
...I can think of one good reason: Imagine you are about to take a trip by bus or train and you need something to eat that's actually food.....

First saw those in the Orlando, FL area, in bags and little clamshells that held 3-6 eggs. I figured they were good for people who would run into the store to pick up wholesome munchies before heading to one of the parks. They were the first stores I would see packages of prepared relishes too, like bags of cut-up celery or carrots. Bags of cheese squares. That kind of stuff. Don't know whether the ideas started in FL and spread, but they must be popular because so many people just don't care about cooking or food like us here at DC. :)

I can imagine that it's because people can't be bothered to cook and peel eggs. You'd be shocked if you worked in a grocery store and saw every day just how many people can't be bothered to do for themselves. Convenience products sell like crazy.

It could also be a suburban vs country thing. When I lived in Maine, during the holiday season we would bring in pallets of baking supplies. When I moved here a suburb, we brought in pallets of pre made pies and cookies instead. Pre made pies were something that just didn't sell well back home. I'm pretty sure that I'd never even tried one until I moved here.

I've been interested to notice that on American cookery programmes (of which we get a lot on British television) there doesn't seem to be the same paranoia about raw and under-cooked eggs in home-made ice cream, custard based desserts, meringues, cake frosting, etc., that there is in the UK.

Over here every time a recipe is featured on television or the radio (yes, occasionally) or appears in a book or magazine there is always a rider that this dish should not be served to the elderly, sick, very young, immune suppressed, etc., due to the presence of raw or under-cooked eggs.

This is despite legal requirements for commercial hens to be vaccinated against salmonella.

Last edited:
I can imagine that it's because people can't be bothered to cook and peel eggs. You'd be shocked if you worked in a grocery store and saw every day just how many people can't be bothered to do for themselves. Convenience products sell like crazy.

It could also be a suburban vs country thing. When I lived in Maine, during the holiday season we would bring in pallets of baking supplies. When I moved here a suburb, we brought in pallets of pre made pies and cookies instead. Pre made pies were something that just didn't sell well back home. I'm pretty sure that I'd never even tried one until I moved here.
UK supermarkets sell bags of ice cubes (!!!) in the freezer section but the really lunatic product is frozen ready-made omelettes which take longer to re-heat than it takes to make a fresh one!

Back
Top Bottom