Egg Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As long as I'm allowed to whisk it, I can down raw eggs. :pig:
When I was a little girl my mother was recovering from a serious illness and, to build her up, the doctor recommended an egg whisked up in a glass of sherry to be taken every morning . She hated both sherry and the raw egg so used to hold her breath while she swallowed it down in one.

The medical world would have hysterics if anyone prescribed this nowadays!

UK supermarkets sell bags of ice cubes (!!!) in the freezer section but the really lunatic product is frozen ready-made omelettes which take longer to re-heat than it takes to make a fresh one!

Every supermarket here sells large bags of ice cubes 10-20 pound bags, usually used to fill a cooler chest for the beach, picnic, sporting event etc..

I can imagine that it's because people can't be bothered to cook and peel eggs. You'd be shocked if you worked in a grocery store and saw every day just how many people can't be bothered to do for themselves. Convenience products sell like crazy.

It could also be a suburban vs country thing. When I lived in Maine, during the holiday season we would bring in pallets of baking supplies. When I moved here a suburb, we brought in pallets of pre made pies and cookies instead. Pre made pies were something that just didn't sell well back home. I'm pretty sure that I'd never even tried one until I moved here.
Some people just can't be bothered to cook. I have a friend who ate all of his meals in restos until he got married. I once moved into an apartment and we had to ask the landlord to have the gas turned back on. It couldn't just be turned on - it had to be certified by a licensed plumber because it had been off for more than a year. The previous tenant didn't cook and didn't want to pay the monthly minimum for gas, when that was just for the stove. :wacko:

Every supermarket here sells large bags of ice cubes 10-20 pound bags, usually used to fill a cooler chest for the beach, picnic, sporting event etc..

They sell bags of ice everywhere around here. When I know in advance that we are having a party, I put ice cubes in plastic bags and put them in my big freezer so I don't have to buy bags of ice. I have never bought a bag of ice.

I would not eat a raw egg, but I have been known to eat cookie dough that contains raw eggs. Somehow it's just not the same. I also eat eggs with runny yolks, but not runny whites.

First saw those in the Orlando, FL area, in bags and little clamshells that held 3-6 eggs. I figured they were good for people who would run into the store to pick up wholesome munchies before heading to one of the parks. They were the first stores I would see packages of prepared relishes too, like bags of cut-up celery or carrots. Bags of cheese squares. That kind of stuff. Don't know whether the ideas started in FL and spread, but they must be popular because so many people just don't care about cooking or food like us here at DC. :)

The one time I was going to buy pre-shredded cabbage for coleslaw they were out of it, so I guess I'm just not meant to take those shortcuts. I cut up my own veggies most of the time, but on occasion I have bought the little bags of cut up broccoli and cauliflower if I needed a small amount and didn't want the big bunches to go to waste. It seems when you buy broccoli and cauliflower you get so much, more than I would use for 2 people, and it doesn't keep long. Could I cut it up and freeze it?

I do buy salad mixes. By the time I buy assorted greens I would spend a small fortune, and have way too much that would go to waste. This way we each get a side salad to go with dinner and he gets to take one to work the next day, no waste. I usually buy shredded lettuce for tacos too, it's all about not wasting food, although buying a head of lettuce would be cheaper, but then I'd have to remember to use it all.

The one time I was going to buy pre-shredded cabbage for coleslaw they were out of it, so I guess I'm just not meant to take those shortcuts. I cut up my own veggies most of the time, but on occasion I have bought the little bags of cut up broccoli and cauliflower if I needed a small amount and didn't want the big bunches to go to waste. It seems when you buy broccoli and cauliflower you get so much, more than I would use for 2 people, and it doesn't keep long. Could I cut it up and freeze it?

I buy the crowns (I don't like broccoli stumps) those are sold individual clumps instead of three stalks bundled together. I buy one crown for each of us on average. I don't buy cauliflower because I don't care for it.

I think that if you blanch broccoli (maybe even cauliflower) then you can freeze it.

I do buy salad mixes. By the time I buy assorted greens I would spend a small fortune, and have way too much that would go to waste. This way we each get a side salad to go with dinner and he gets to take one to work the next day, no waste. I usually buy shredded lettuce for tacos too, it's all about not wasting food, although buying a head of lettuce would be cheaper, but then I'd have to remember to use it all.

I quit buying bagged salad when they had those recalls for salmonella. DH wouldn't eat it anyway. He only likes iceberg, and green leaf.

I think I will try freezing broccoli and cauliflower. I have a food saver that vacuum seals. It can't hurt to try. If it doesn't work, then I learned.

Still won't buy those pre-cooked eggs. Yuk!

I quit buying bagged salad when they had those recalls for salmonella. DH wouldn't eat it anyway. He only likes iceberg, and green leaf.

I think I will try freezing broccoli and cauliflower. I have a food saver that vacuum seals. It can't hurt to try. If it doesn't work, then I learned.

Still won't buy those pre-cooked eggs. Yuk!

Anything that is grown on the ground can have salmonella in it, since that's where the bacteria is. That said, buy what you like :) I buy the packages of three romaine hearts and use them for any lettuce needs we have. I make salads 2-4 times a week, and they last at least that long, so we rarely have waste.

I don't buy pre-cooked eggs because they're usually overcooked and tough, but I don't think there's any safety reason to eat hard-cooked eggs the same day they're cooked.

+1

I can't eat it fast enough, I buy it preshredded/mixed and sometimes I still can't get it eaten. Shrek doesn't eat any of that anymore...a bag of mixed greens is enough for a week 's lunch at work.

I've been interested to notice that on American cookery programmes (of which we get a lot on British television) there doesn't seem to be the same paranoia about raw and under-cooked eggs in home-made ice cream, custard based desserts, meringues, cake frosting, etc., that there is in the UK.

Over here every time a recipe is featured on television or the radio (yes, occasionally) or appears in a book or magazine there is always a rider that this dish should not be served to the elderly, sick, very young, immune suppressed, etc., due to the presence of raw or under-cooked eggs.

This is despite legal requirements for commercial hens to be vaccinated against salmonella.

We get the same warnings. The shows usually give us an alternative choice to the raw egg. As an elderly, I stay away from them completely. I just watched an American Test Kitchen episode that made a sauce for smoked salmon and it used a raw egg. No warning there. And that surprised me. I would never make that sauce. For years they were very diligent about warning us. My guess would be that we got the message so they have gotten lax in their warnings. I don't know if we vaccinate our hens though. We have two very large major chicken producers. Tyson and Perdue. Tyson has come under some real scrutiny by the USDA, (our watchdog) but Perdue is promoting the care they give their chickens. I don't know if they can be believed or not. :angel:

+1

I can't eat it fast enough, I buy it preshredded/mixed and sometimes I still can't get it eaten. Shrek doesn't eat any of that anymore...a bag of mixed greens is enough for a week 's lunch at work.

As a teenager I was introduced to eating Bib lettuce (or any lettuce leaf) dipped in apple cider or Chinese vinegar as a snack. The recipe taught to me added a bit of ice water to the vinegar to cut the acidity. Occasionally, even though I can't eat raw roughage will eat this as a snack. I just cut the lettuce up into tiny pieces and enjoy myself. Then I pay for it later. :angel:

Anything that is grown on the ground can have salmonella in it, since that's where the bacteria is. That said, buy what you like :) I buy the packages of three romaine hearts and use them for any lettuce needs we have. I make salads 2-4 times a week, and they last at least that long, so we rarely have waste.

I don't buy pre-cooked eggs because they're usually overcooked and tough, but I don't think there's any safety reason to eat hard-cooked eggs the same day they're cooked.

I just don't have any reason to have hard-cooked eggs cooked ahead. It doesn't take that long to make them, and I like them warm. It's not that I wouldn't eat a hard-cooked egg that is a few days old, I just eat them when I make them, mostly.

I love romaine. If I bought that I would probably eat more salads.

..I love romaine. If I bought that I would probably eat more salads.

Well we've pretty much drifted
free-sign-smileys-313.gif
but since you're the OP I guess it's OK! Buy a head of romaine the next time you shop, take the outer leaves off for salad or sandwiches (you can wrap in dampened paper towels and put into a plastic produce bag - just use within a day or two or they'll go limp) and grill the rest of it! Delish. :yum: I cut it in half, starting at the base, and rinse thoroughly. Splay the leaves out and roll in a clean towel to get most of the water out, then prep for the grill. There is an older thread here that has lots of suggestions and information.

Himself was very reluctant when I sent the romaine out along side the pork chops. He was a convert when he had it for his salad later. A little dressing, bacon, hard-cooked egg (homemade, I might add ;) ) and chopped tomatoes was all. He added bleu cheese, I had feta, and we were both happy. Let me know if you try it.

Sometimes I'll cook a dozen eggs and pop them in the fridge in a zip top bag, they seem to be good for a week, but they don't last long with rob in the house, he loves them!

Shrek often does up a couple dozen eggs, they last a week. The trick is to get him to eat something other than the eggs.

I have popped some hard cooked chopped eggs in the freezer following PF's suggesting. If you put hard cooked peeled eggs in the fridge in water, you should change the water every day. This I learned in the "food industry."

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom