Egg Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CarolPa

Executive Chef
Why are some eggs bigger than others? I always buy "large" eggs, but some are so much bigger than others. I bought a couple dozen at Aldi's and they were really cheap, 79 cents, compared to $1.85 at the regular grocers. They are enormous! Does it have something to do with the type of chickens, or what they are being fed? How do they compare nutritionally?

Different chicken breeds, different ages, perhaps a different standard of measuring. And sure, nutrition plays a part in it. Although I would imagine most commercial chicken places use basically the same breed and feed them basically the same commercial food. So I'm going to guess smaller eggs come from chickens just starting to lay or those near the end of their careers. And I'm also going to guess there might be chicken farms who specialize in medium eggs because the chickens eat less and they can keep more of them.

The older the chicken, the bigger the egg. Where is CWS when you need her? She is the chicken expert here for DC. She has been raising them for a couple of years now. :angel:

The older the chicken, the bigger the egg. Where is CWS when you need her? She is the chicken expert here for DC. She has been raising them for a couple of years now. :angel:

Until they reach a point, then the eggs start getting smaller like when they first started laying. And I imagine once they no longer qualify for medium grade or are not laying often enough the chicken gets a one way ride to view the world upside down.

But how do they control the size of the eggs? The ones I bought recently should have been graded extra large or jumbo! Next time I use one I am going to measure the qty of the egg.

They don't control the size of the egg, they just put them in different cartons marked Large, Jumbo Etc.

Sizes do vary within a category. The large eggs I have in the fridge right now are much larger than the large eggs in had last week.

Last edited:
The size of eggs. Age, breed, weight of the hen, diet, weather, stress, and environment (overcrowding) all contribute to the size of the egg. As hens mature, the egg size increases. I selected breeds known to be (a) good layers, and (b) winter hardy. Myrtle, whom I have had for three summers now, lays ENORMOUS eggs. Most of my hens lay large - x-large eggs. My younger hens lay medium to large eggs. The Plymouth Rock eggs are distinct from the others because they have thicker shells and tougher membranes. The eggs taste the same, but are harder to crack. And, although one of those Plymouth Rocks is the same age as Myrtle, Penny's eggs are noticeably smaller than Myrtle's eggs. (Myrtle has always been an over-achiever--she laid 2 eggs/day for the first month of her production way-back-when and often will lay a double-yolker--hence the name Fertile Myrtle).

When my hens are able to forage, the yolks are a deep yellow-orange. During the winter months, the yolks a a rich yellow, but not orange.

When it is extremely hot, egg production goes down, the same is true in the winter but that is related more to the number of hours of light / day. Hens need about 15 hours of light/day to complete the egg cycle. In the winter, the daylight hours are extended using lights (I usually start this the end of November). One can also slow down the maturation rate of chicks by reducing the number of hours of light or hastened the maturation rate by increasing the number of hours of light. If hens are broody (sitting on eggs) or molting (about every 18 months, but that depends on breed, etc.), they will stop laying eggs. While a momma hen is tending chicks, she will usually not lay eggs or will only lay one every 6-7 days.

The majority of my hens are either Lohmann's (a breed developed in Germany for egg production and for producing eggs consistently until about 3 years of age) or Red Schaffer's (a Canadian breed, also winter hardy and about the same re egg production as the Lohmann's) (I have 18 "red" hens). The Plymouth Rocks lay a smaller egg with a thicker shell (however, all hens produce the same amount of shell--but the larger the egg, the thinner the shell), the rest of the hens lay about the same size of egg (large). Sometimes I get a funny-shaped egg, but that's not really relevant. Eggs are graded according to weight, quality of yolk, and white. Here's a link to a pdf chart of egg weight (per carton and per egg) for each size:

http://curbstonevalley.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/eggsizes.jpg

I have always assumed that was "in shell" weight. Most recipes require a large egg. One can either weigh the egg or measure the egg in cups to do the conversion.

Eggs From A To Z - Size Equivalents

BTW, I don't think the chart at the bottom is to scale (at least not on my monitor). If it is, my hens lay eggs that exceed Jumbo size...maybe it is time I get out my scale and weigh eggs...

CarolPA, that is probably more than you ever wanted to know about egg size. Hope this answers some of your questions.

They don't control the size of the egg, they just put them in different cartons marked Large, Jumbo Etc.

If this were true, there would be no need to have different sizes. And, if this were true, and eggs are being sold as a certain size, than that would tell me the person / facility grading the eggs is doing a sloppy job when sorting. There are requirements for eggs to be sold as a certain size and grade (check links in my previous post).

I can't sell my eggs to a store because I do not qualify to have a grading station (not enough hens to qualify, don't want hundreds of eggs/day). When I sell eggs to friends, I do hold back the smaller eggs so that the eggs I put in the cartons are all similar in size (and yes, I wash them first, but don't candle them). And, I try to put at least one of the Jumbo eggs (I have three-four hens who are trying to compete with Myrtle) in the carton.

Last edited:
I remember when we ordered our chicks some of them were a bit bigger than the others. Those were the first to start laying eggs. We had all Rhode Island reds. Later on we had a dozen eggs to be incubated. They hatched when some of the older chicks had started to lay. Any of the chicks that turned out to be roosters met the Sunday pot at a rather early date. We did have one rooster, but like CWS's Cocky Rocky he was just too mean and fought anyone who tried to collect the eggs. (Mostly me!) So he too went the way of the others. Since overcrowding will create stress, they had a very large coop with plenty of nest boxes for them to lay eggs. We never had more chickens than nest boxes.

I used to scatter their feed around the fenced in area where they roamed. They didn't have a feeder, but did have two water tanks. One in the yard and one in the coop. I swear those chickens had a drinking problem. I was filling the one in their yard at least twice a day in the summer. I was only ten at the time, and those chickens were my responsibility. Then I misbehaved and got sent to care for the pigs. A chore I hated. Like all farm kids, we all had chores. Even the youngest had to feed the cat. :angel:

I remember when we ordered our chicks some of them were a bit bigger than the others. Those were the first to start laying eggs. We had all Rhode Island reds.
Most of the breeds I have are supposed to start laying between 5 - 7 months of age. Our experience with ready-to-lay RIRs was that they actually were closer to the 7 month mark and that they took the longest to adjust of the hens we bought as ready-to-lay. The three chicks that were hatched mid-June are RIRs and a broody hen is sitting on 7 eggs (should hatch Sunday or Monday) that are also RIRs. Not sure what we'll do with these 10 chicks...still waiting to see if the three here are hens or roosters...RIRs also seem to be a bit more heat sensitive--production drops on the hot days. They also will slow down re: production if one of the flock is broody.

When I picked up Myrtle and Harriet, they had been laying for about 3 weeks. The guy told me that they probably wouldn't lay for 3-4 weeks because of the stress of moving. Myrtle laid 2 eggs the first 24 hours, and Harriet laid one. Those girls were so happy to be out of the 4 ft x 4 ft coop with 10 other hens they couldn't wait to start laying eggs :LOL:.

Addie--I find chickens drink a surprising amount of water.

I remember their water tanks took two bucket fills of water twice a day for the one outside. The inside one only needed filling in the morning. I hated carrying those dang buckets. We did have a hose but it didn't reach to the hen house. Once every two weeks, we cleaned the floor and washed it thoroughly. That is when we would take the garden hose and extend the water hose to the hen house. We had a really large stiff broom that scrubbed that floor 'til it would shine. The broom was bigger than me, so I got out of that job. But I did have to clean the nests and put in fresh straw every other day. I enjoyed taking care of the chickens. That is how I learned to talk chicken. Coo, coo. :angel:

I enjoyed taking care of the chickens. That is how I learned to talk chicken. Coo, coo. :angel:
You would love to meet Miss Coo-coo. She's one of Rocky's hens I brought back from the farm. She follows me around and says "coo-coo" when I ask her what she is doing. She also waits for me on the deck so I can carry her to the coop in the evening. I don't know if she is laying eggs or not--but she sure is a nice addition to the flock.

You would love to meet Miss Coo-coo. She's one of Rocky's hens I brought back from the farm. She follows me around and says "coo-coo" when I ask her what she is doing. She also waits for me on the deck so I can carry her to the coop in the evening. I don't know if she is laying eggs or not--but she sure is a nice addition to the flock.

In the morning when I was approaching their yard, I would start talking chicken very softly. They knew I was coming with food and would rush to the fence or right around the gate. They would follow me all around the yard as I was tossing the feed. When the were just babies, we used to have mash for them. Then we changed over to a more nutritious feed when they started laying. They weren't too happy for a day or two. But when they got hungry enough they decided to eat it. In the winter when their yard was covered with snow, I would toss the feed on top of the snow. Again they weren't too happy. So we had to put a feeder inside the coop. They did not like snow or the cold. I did have one that was a favorite. She started out being the runt. I used to feed her all by herself in one corner of the yard. She grew up to be a big girl. :angel:

Sizes do vary within a category. The large eggs I have in the fridge right now are much larger than the large eggs in had last week.

Like another poster said, large eggs are the biggest seller so it would be beneficial to the egg producers to control egg production so they would get more large eggs and fewer medium or x-tra large. I also notice that the brand name eggs I buy in the regular grocery store are smaller than the off-brand eggs I buy in Aldi's. According to the chart someone posted, they are to be sized by oz. Maybe when they get a lot more medium eggs they pass them off as large. I have been buying my eggs in Aldi's because they cost less and are bigger, but I don't want to continue to do that if I am getting an inferior product somehow.

My folks raised a few laying hens for our own use. We had ''Rhode Island Reds'', ''Leghorns'' our best egg producers. We also had a couple of ''Americana's'' [Araucanian's originally from Chile]. These chickens layed ''Robins egg blue'' colored eggs. They tasted the same but were somewhat unusual. Kids in the neighborhood thought they were ''Cool''. Mysterychef

Last edited:
My folks raised a few laying hens for our own use. We had ''Rhode Island Reds'', ''Leghorns'' our best egg producers. We also had a couple of ''Americana's'' [Araucanian's originally from Chile]. These chickens layed ''Robins egg blue'' colored eggs. They tasted the same but were somewhat unusual. Kids in the neighborhood thought they were ''Cool''. Mysterychef
I think everyone should have the opportunity at some point in life to have laying hens. It is too bad that so many municipalities ban backyard chickens. My grandparents raised RIRs. Having those hens helped feed the family during the depression.

I like my chooks--and my grandbaby just loves them. We "check the chickens' every 10 minutes when she comes to visit. :LOL:

Egg sizes really vary--once in a while, I will get one the size of a goose egg, and about as often, one the size of cherry tomato. The little ones usually don't have a yolk. Sometimes they have 'wrinkles' in the shell. A couple of times over the years I have found one without a shell--just the rubbery membrane holding things together.

These anomalies occur in commercial hen houses too, but those eggs are culled before you see them. They break them and then sell liquid eggs or dehydrated eggs for baking.

Why are some eggs brown and others white, you ask? I was told that the color of the hen's ears determines the color of the egg. While others may say it is breed dependent, that may be true, but different breeds have different color of ears. Almost all of my girls have brown ears. The "yellow" girls lay pale eggs, but their eggs are not white. And, I disagree with those who think birds have no sense of smell. My girls will not touch things that smell of dog, bleach, or mold. They definitely have a sense of smell.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom