Egg Substitutes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mish

Washing Up
Do you use them, do you like them, what do you make with them?

I rarely make omelettes & not watching cholesterol. Use eggs primarily for recipes & like the real thing. I know they're not expensive, but got tired of using one & tossing the rest of the carton out when they expired.

Bought a carton of egg substitutes & put it in the freezer. Now, not sure what to make/do with them. Any ideas? Also wondered - what is this stuff - is it really eggs? Thanks in advance.

dw eats them a lot, using eggbeaters brand egg substitutes to make something that resembles scrambled eggs.

i have used the same to make a chorizo, onion, and mushroom omelette, and a taylor ham, cheese, and scrambled egg sandwich. i'd have to say they were very good, hard to tell the difference, and i think it's cholesterol free

Egg substitutes are made with egg whites and have the nutrients that are lost when removing the yolk added back in. They have less than half the calories of eggs and the same amount of protien.

I use them when we're on an egg-eating kick. I also have used them for egg washes/dips. You can use them the same way you would use a beaten egg.

Thanks, BT.

Just went to the freezer & label said Best of the Egg. Wondering where's the rest of the egg, lol.

The only time I became egg-friendly was when one of my Latin ex boyfriends made me an original chorizo & egg dish, to die for. Love watching guys cook. Guess I could? use it for a mundane meatloaf or for french toast.

Or - could I scramble up some real eggs & freeze them in an ice tray???

I use them to make an omlet for breakfast, now that I'm watching my cholesterol and fat. I make a 2-egg omlet with low fat shredded cheddar and a few bacon bits tossed in.

I've found it to be suprisingly good.

I've also used it in meatloaf, soup and as the middle step in a breading process.

Mish, I use them and like them for breakfast type dishes and as a last resort for baking. There are a lot of different brands, but a lot of them contain some other things in there other than just egg whites. (i.e. coloring , additives (preservative) type stuff to keep it). I think that's why a lot of them say something like 99% real egg whites, or something along that line.

A lot of times, for budget purposes I get the Costco brand (Egg Starters-I think). The only brand I've found that has 100% REAL egg whites and nothing else is Eggology. It's really expensive, though, out of my budget. A small 16 oz container is like 3-4 bucks at my local natural store. If I could afford to, I'd honestly use this brand all the time. I find that it looks like real egg whites and has a consistency like egg whites should. I recently bought the Egg Beaters in a carton, it didn't have any yellow coloring in it, but for some reason, it was really liquidy. Cooked up just find though. Hope that helps.

Thank you htc. That does help, as I know nothing about the product. Thought it might be a better way to go than dumping out most of the eggs I don't use. There's a place called Whole Foods nearby. Next time I'm there, I'll see if I can find the brand you mentioned. Think they have a website too if anyone would like to take a peek. Thanx again, htc.

I started using various egg 'substitutes' (as mentioned, not really egg subs, in reality they're colored egg whites) when hubby was told to get his cholesterol down. In fact, we found that in the long term, his cholesterol is not one that can be controlled to any real extent by diet. BUT, that said, I've found them to be very, very convenient for a small household (2 of us) that aren't truly egg lovers. Do NOT get me wrong, there are a few times a year I go out and buy a dozen eggs because I really want a poached, boiled, or fried egg. However, these are great to have on hand for general recipe use and a nice light omlet with a salad which is a mid-week summer staple in our lives. I tend to keep two brands on hand -- scramblers and egg beaters -- mostly because one comes in "two egg" size, one in "four egg" size. You never have to worry about them going bad and they fit a lot of needs.

Back
Top Bottom