"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-15-2012, 04:29 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Egg (white) not setting

We have made hundreds of omelettes, fried eggs, scrambled egg etc, no bother.

Lately we have a had run of particular eggs (same farm/distributor) and cooking an omelette the egg (mostly the white I think) just won't set it remains permanently watery. Tried to make a fried egg with same batch and the white simply would not set properly!

I have read that when raw if the yoke is flat and the white is very watery the egg is bad, but the egg did not really smell bad and was in date by about 2 weeks. Is this perhaps just a quality issue or could the egg be older than implied by the date printed on it?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Old 09-15-2012, 04:50 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Flat yolks and more liquidy whites means older eggs, not necessarily bad eggs.

How long did you leave them on the burner? They NEVER cooked?

Old 09-15-2012, 04:58 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

"I have read that..."

" when raw if the yoke is flat and the white is very watery the egg is bad"

to be fair I didn't really make that specific check it was just the connection I made regarding wateryness.

Cooked far longer than would normally (not sure exact time), then gave up. May be they would have set / congealed eventually.
Old 09-15-2012, 05:25 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

My bet is that the eggs are older than stated on the carton.
Old 09-15-2012, 05:29 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

Read this website on albumin (egg white). Lots of other good egg info.

Incredible Edible Egg | Eggs | albumen
Old 09-18-2012, 11:13 PM   #6
Cook

There is an old test (older than I, so it's pretty old) for testing eggs to see if they are fresh, old or somewhere in between. Just put the egg in a bowl of RT water. If it is very fresh it will float on its side in the water. A little older and it will turn on end and gradually start sitting lower in the water, the older it gets. If the egg sinks until it touches the bottom, throw it away.
When I was a kid, we would go egg hunting on the neighboring farm and usually have no idea when the eggs we found had been laid, so this was an invaluable test.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:25 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilinYuma View Post
There is an old test (older than I, so it's pretty old) for testing eggs to see if they are fresh, old or somewhere in between. Just put the egg in a bowl of RT water. If it is very fresh it will float on its side in the water. A little older and it will turn on end and gradually start sitting lower in the water, the older it gets. If the egg sinks until it touches the bottom, throw it away.
When I was a kid, we would go egg hunting on the neighboring farm and usually have no idea when the eggs we found had been laid, so this was an invaluable test.
I think that your test is backwards. If it is fresh, it will lie flat on the bottom. If it floats, it is bad. This is what I remember and what a number of sites say from a Google search.
Old 09-19-2012, 03:48 AM   #8
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I think that your test is backwards. If it is fresh, it will lie flat on the bottom. If it floats, it is bad. This is what I remember and what a number of sites say from a Google search.
You are right, as an egg ages, more air gets through to it, and through some sort of process(I know it isn't osmosis), it takes in more air, so it will float higher.

Ok to eat, it's not gonna make you die a thousand deaths, it's just not as fresh as it could be.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:06 AM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

Older eggs float.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:26 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT View Post
You are right, as an egg ages, more air gets through to it, and through some sort of process(I know it isn't osmosis), it takes in more air, so it will float higher.

Ok to eat, it's not gonna make you die a thousand deaths, it's just not as fresh as it could be.
And the reason is very simple. The shell is porous, thus the water in the white evaporates and more air replaces the water. Simple science. So the egg floats as the egg gets older. Older eggs are easier to peel. Great for egg salad and devil eggs. Just don't boil them hard. To make perfect hard boiled eggs without that nasty sulpher green circle surrounding the yolk, bring eggs to a boil. Remove from heat immediately and allow eggs to sit in hot water for 20 minutes.

Tags
egg