Eggplant Parmesan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pbnjgourmet

Assistant Cook
I am making Eggplant Parmesan for the first time this weekend - any tips or tricks for me? Do you peel the eggplant or leave the peel on, I have seen recipes for it both ways???

I leave it on. Be sure your oil is hot when you go to fry the breaded eggplant. I use a non-stick skillet and tend to occasionally wipe it clean if I see burned breading in the oil.

I also use a mixture of shredded mozzarella and sliced provolgn in mine.

We leavit on too.
We oven bake our breaded eggplant to save on the grease.
We also add a little honey to the tomatoe sauce to cut the sharpness.

I like the provolone idea!

I saw a Throwdown with Bobby Flay...
The winner dude peeled his eggplant, and sliced it LENGTHWAYS, in really thin slices.
Fried those and layered them.
Sounded REALLY good, and I dislike Eggplant Parm.
Lots of thin layers, said the eggplant didnt overpower the dish....

Some folks make the dish is a lasagna style with more thin layers. I like to slice the EP thicker and make a discrete stack with sauce and cheese. I bake these and top with sauce. There are all kinds of variations.

I saw a Throwdown with Bobby Flay...
The winner dude peeled his eggplant, and sliced it LENGTHWAYS, in really thin slices.
Fried those and layered them.
Sounded REALLY good, and I dislike Eggplant Parm.
Lots of thin layers, said the eggplant didnt overpower the dish....

Thanks for sharing - I'm going to try this next time.

I usually peel mine, then dip the 1/4-inch thick slices into beaten egg and then into Panko bread crumbs seasoned with a little Italian seasoning. Once I've breaded the slices, I place them, in single layers, on waxed paper and refrigerate for about an hour before I lightly pan-fry them in a little olive oil until browned and crisp. I drain the browned slices on wire racks as I prepare my baking dish with sauce, then I layer the slices with sauce and a variety of grated cheeses. Always get great reviews.

Thanks for all the tips. I also heard that it is better the next day so I am going to make it today and serve it tomorrow. Recipe to come when I am done...

I make mine in about 5 layers with the skin on. I slice the eggplant into coins, brush them with olive oil dip them in flour, egg and breadcrumbs. :chef:

am i the only one who removes some moisture from the eggplant before preparing? i think it makes for a better final product....slice the eggplant however you like (with or without peel), sprinkles heavily with salt, place between layers of paper towels and apply some weight for up to an hour.....then wipe off the salt and continue as normal

am i the only one who removes some moisture from the eggplant before preparing?
Noodle, I was thinking maybe my mother and I were the only ones...
To prep, we soak the slices in heavily salted water, while other stuff cook, like a batch of marinara. Eggplant oxidizes very fast; it has to be cooked or preserved right away. The waxy skin is relatively impermeable and therefore tough, but edible, so it's less an issue. The round, softball-sized eggplants, while they make a great-looking steak, have the texture and taste of a wet nerfball unless their moisture is first removed and then their essence encased in oil/starch. (Other eggplants, like zucchini-shaped Chinese, are different with flesh that melts into a buttery texture when heated.)

I prefer having a good contrasting 'crunch' so I broil it in the oven topped with parmesan and mozarella, and then pour marinara or shmear it if it's to be a sandwich.

I love to use eggplant. It is great when fried or baked. These are my tricks for making my eggplant parm.

I cut thin slices of small or medium sized eggplant leaving the skin on. If you use smaller eggplants there are less seeds.

I dip the slices in an egg mixed with a little bit of water and some italian seasoned breadcrumbs. Make sure you use the flavored ones, it not only gives a great flavor but also give a good crunch.

I also like to do a layering thing in the pan sort of like lasagna. You can use a host of cheeses from ricotta and Parmesan to shredded mozzarella or sliced provolone.

Make sure you have a nice smooth and flavorful sauce.

I like to top mine with extra cheese and a sprinkle of bread crumbs.

With the leftovers you can make eggplant parm subs!!

Good Luck!!

Joy

-Better than a box

Legend - I use my bread maker to mix all the ingredients:

I started with this recipe from allrecipes.com and have modified it.

1 1/2 cups water (70 to 80 degrees F)
1/2 cup honey
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 cups bread flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup rye flour
3/4 cup cornmeal
2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast

My recipe:
1 1/2 cups water (70 to 80 degrees F)
1/2 cup honey
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 cups bread flour
2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup corn meal
2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast

Sometimes when it is mixing I have to add a little water. You can mix all these ingredients by hand and then let it rise for an hour and a half. Then I bake it in at 350 degrees for 33 minutes.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom