"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 04-06-2005, 10:56 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

eggs ice cream

i just got an ice cream maker and looked up some recipes... well some of them need eggs but theres the salmonella issue... anyone know what i can do to lessen the chance? does anyone make homemade ice cream with eggs? i know i can use subtitutes but id rather use eggs.

Old 04-06-2005, 11:11 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Make your ice cream mix (eggs, cream, milk, sugar, etc.) in a saucepan. Heat it slowly, stirring constantly, to a temperature of 175F and keep it at that temperature for 5 minutes. Chill it overnight.

This should take care of the salmonella and improve the texture of the finished product.

I use the same process to make ice cream with no eggs. The key is to have everything very cold and mix it just until it's done.

Old 04-06-2005, 11:40 PM   #3
Cook

Send a message via AIM to eric Send a message via Yahoo to eric
Quote:
Originally Posted by blah
i just got an ice cream maker and looked up some recipes... well some of them need eggs but theres the salmonella issue... a
Ice cream is your basic custard sauces that is...frozen. We don't need to go to the many, many custard variations there are but basically it is made the same...just the ratios are different.

The main ingredients are egg yolks, sugar, milk, cream. Change the ratios, and you get something different. (Oh, vanilla too)

Basically, for ice cream, you cream the yolks and sugar, temper with wam liquid so it doesn't curdle(in this case, cream+milk), put the tempered eggs back in the liquid, and heat till it coats the back of a spoon. Remove, strain, chill rapidly in ice bath, and put in ice cream maker. Wait, then enjoy!

eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 08:18 AM   #4
Executive Chef

We use Pasteurized Eggs when we have concerns about uncooked eggs.
Old 04-07-2005, 11:13 AM   #5
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
There are some great ice cream recipes here! I hope this helps some. Ice Cream Recipes
Old 04-07-2005, 02:15 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

ah i see, thanks. also i looked for pastuerized eggs and couldnt find any.
Old 04-07-2005, 04:34 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
Make your ice cream mix (eggs, cream, milk, sugar, etc.) in a saucepan. Heat it slowly, stirring constantly, to a temperature of 175F and keep it at that temperature for 5 minutes. Chill it overnight.

This should take care of the salmonella and improve the texture of the finished product.

I use the same process to make ice cream with no eggs. The key is to have everything very cold and mix it just until it's done.
you mean put it in the ice cream maker then chill over night right? not chill then put in icm?
Old 04-07-2005, 09:36 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Blah, where are you located?

Davidson is the brand name of these eggs.
Old 04-08-2005, 04:11 PM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by blah
you mean put it in the ice cream maker then chill over night right? not chill then put in icm?
I chill (in the coldest part of the refrigerator) the ice cream mix overnight in an appropriate container such as rubbermaid or tupperware. Then, I pour it into the chilled ice cream maker container to make the ice cream.

My ice cream maker is of the type where you freeze the container overnight, there's a liquid in the container walls that freezes.

The point is that the colder everything is, the less churning will be needed to reach the proper consistency. Too much churning can turn the cream in the mix to butter, giving your ice cream a greasy mouth feel.
Old 04-10-2005, 02:08 PM   #10
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to kyles
I cheat and rather than put it in the fridge overnight, I cool the custard down this way..... make the custard on the stove in a metal saucepan, transfer the custard mix to a cold glass bowl. Stand the bowl in a sink of icy cold water, leave for an hour, then chill in the ice cream maker.

I have used raw eggs in ice cream, but don't do it this way anymore, I find the custard mixture gives a superior result, and you don't have the worries about raw eggs. I have never seen pasteurised eggs in England. maybe I haven't looked in the right places!!! I tend to use only locally raised free range eggs.