Elephant Garlic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GotGarlic

Chef Extraordinaire
I bought some elephant garlic at the farmer's market last weekend and have yet to do anything with it. Does anyone use it regularly? How is it different from regular garlic, other than the size? Is the flavor any different? any particular techniques that enhance any special qualities it might have? Thanks.

I've never used it but have read that it's a little different in flavor. I'm interested to read your evaluation of it.

I guess you'll have to modify how you measure garlic for recipes now. :wacko: "Chop three cloves of garlic" could really impact a recipe.

i used it just a few times and found it to be pretty much just garlic. ok, maybe it's a little more mellow than regular soft neck garlic, not as sharp or sulphur-y.

i guess it would be better in dishes that require raw garlic, like tsatsiki or maybe a ceviche.

other than that, it cooks down pretty much the same as regular garlic.

i wonder how much you need for one of those 40 cloves of garlic chicken dishes? where's the chicken?

if you're making a garlic laden tomato sauce, big thin slices are good. those who don't want it can fish them out easier, and those who enjoy it can get a nice mouthful.

Andy :LOL: Maybe to try it out, I'll just roast it and put it on a baguette.

bucky, that chicken dish is a great idea! The one clove I have is almost as big as a head of regular garlic. I'd guess it would equal 10 cloves. Four is a whole lot easier to peel than 40! :)

Last edited:
Have you tasted it? In general, I've found that elephant garlic is very mild and not all that garlicky (is that a word?).

When I lived in Las Vegas some 23 years ago, there was a restaurant close by that featured garlic heavily in most of their dishes. In fact, I want to say the name of the restaurant was "The Garlic Bulb" or "The Garlic Head." Something like that.

Anyway, one of the side dishes they served was grilled elephant garlic cloves, which was surprisingly mild and tasty. I never tried to make it at home, but I thought it was one of the more interesting side dishes I've ever had.

I bought one and was totally unimpressed with the lack of garlic flavor. It would be great in salad as it is so mild you could eat it raw and not even worry about bad breath. It belongs to the leek family and not the onion family as the regular garlic is. I bought it once, and never again. :angel:

I wonder, since it's a member of the leek family, if it could be used in place of leeks in something like potato leek soup.

I wonder, since it's a member of the leek family, if it could be used in place of leeks in something like potato leek soup.

Garlic is a member of the lily family, so I guess you could arrange some garlic in a vase...:)

I think the flavor is closer to garlic than leek or other onion. Either way, it won't taste bad. Some experimentation may be in order.

We used to get wet garlic a few years ago but I haven't seen any for years round here.

It's available in summer and is fresh garlic before it's dried.

I think you're all expecting it to have MORE garlic flavour because it is elephant garlic. It is not. It is supposed to be a mild cross between garlic and leek. Get over it--should taste like mild garlic/leek and appreciate it for what it is. Roast a head of it with EVOO, a bit of butter, S&P, and lemon juice, it is wonderful on potatoes, bread, broccoli.

i saw elephant garlic on an incredible sale yesterday at the market. 5 cents per head, so i bought a whole box.

i had to put it in the trunk it was so big.

unfortunately i forgot about it and left it there overnight.

is it still good?

:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom