Enameled Cast Iron cookware - What Brand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bullrem

Assistant Cook
Just curious as someone asked me about other brands then Le Creuset.
Do any of you have any of the other brands like Martha Stewart, Mario, Rachael Ray?

I have le creuset and staub and love them both but I think I prefer my staub as they seem easier to clean because of the darker interior. What are your thoughts and what do you use the pans for?

Thanks for any information. Helen

Helen, I just purchased a Lodge Enameled Cast Iron Casserole Pan, and I really love it so far. The price was just right and shipping was free from Amazon. I don't know how it will do over time, but I will continue to clean it immediately after using and see how it holds up.

Do you have any dark stains on your Le Creuset or Staub? I'm asking because someone had a question at another message board, and I wanted to know what you use.

Toni

Hi, Helen. Welcome to DC.

I have no experience with anything other than Le Creuset. Love, love, love my Le Creuset. The insides are light-colored and have discolored over the years, but that doesn't bother me in the least. Just shows that I love it and use it.

I am generally not a name brand shopper... but every time I look at the stuff Le Creuset its the nicest. Their enamel looks the best...handles etc. They are really pricey though and the other brands will cook great too.... they do generally feel cheaper and are as to be expected made in China. From an aesthetic basis they do not impress me but they will do the job and are far more affordable.

Personally I don't prefer the dark interior of the Staub... IMHO if its dark inside it should be raw CI. Otherwise I like to see that it is clean. Stuab is good stuff though.

I have heard the enamel is thinner on the Batali and that the handles aren't heat safe. Warranty seems to be an issue on some of his products. It sure does look and feel nice, but I agree with Katie ... the LC is the gold standard. I have seen only a few Staub pieces, personally so can't offer much there.

My sister got a Martha Stewart ECI dutch oven at Macy's and is thrilled with her find!

Speaking of Ebay, don't overlook deals on such older brand enameled cast iron like: Copco, Cousances, and Descoware.

They often sell much cheaper than LeCreuset and in the case of Copco the cast iron is thicker than LeCreuset. Also Copco has raw cast iron bottoms which make for better heat transfer.

on the cost of LC... retail is insane... and unnecessary.

My new LC is from TJ Maxx at steep discount (still expensive) the rest of my enameled CI is older LC/Descoware/Copco all flea market/thrift and all less than $10 no need to pay big $$ for the stuff.

I have heard stories of people getting warranty service on LC cookware that they purchased used at flea markets and garage sales. I haven't looked into this to verify its truth, but you may want to consider it if you're buying the used stuff.

I bought a Le Creuset frying pan for a lot of money. It was supposed to be non-stick but after about a year things started to stick. I always used silicon or wooden utensils so it wasn't me!
Their casseroles on the other hand are superb.

I looked at these the other day, and will probably go back today and at least get the fry pan. ALDI - Home page

Joe, thanks for posting this. It's worth investigating, so I'll wear my best trenchcoat. I'm sort of liking that 5 quart braiser.

I used my three quart casserole pan for the first time a couple of days ago. It has been so long since I used cast iron, that I had forgotten how well it retains heat. I will have to adjust my cooking times and temperatures accordingly.

I bought a Le Creuset frying pan for a lot of money. It was supposed to be non-stick but after about a year things started to stick. I always used silicon or wooden utensils so it wasn't me!
Their casseroles on the other hand are superb.

It's likely because of high heat, which is a real killer on non-stick surfaces. LC will likely stand behind it, so it'd be worth the phone call or email to inquire.

I also have a Rachael Ray DO that I got at Kohls. Only bought it because it was on sale and we had a 30% off coupon. Otherwise, it's not worth $59.95. I make chili in it as well as NYT bread. I just removed the knob and replaced it with steel, and bake NYT at 450 F with no problems.

I love my growing collection of Orange Flame Descoware! Most from 1970's and in good usable condition. Cooks well, not too heavy to lift, as some newer brands, like Le Creuset.

I have paid from $3.50 to $65.00 per piece, depending on the size and how badly I wanted it. I actually got a "3 Quart Cobalt Blue Le Creuset round Dutch Oven" with a hairline crack in the lid, so it wasn't perfect ... for $3.50!! It actually weighs more than my 5 Quart oval Descoware Dutch Oven though, so my bad back prefers the DESCOWARE!

I love shopping around!

Candy

I love my growing collection of Orange Flame Descoware! Most from 1970's and in good usable condition. Cooks well, not too heavy to lift, as some newer brands, like Le Creuset. I love shopping around!
Candy

I have lots of yellow and flame Descoware! And I have as much red and yellow Copco, along with a few pieces of flame Le Creuset.

I have 8 french onion soup casseroles by Le Creuset in brown.

Back
Top Bottom