"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-18-2009, 09:30 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Enameled Cast Iron cookware - What Brand

Just curious as someone asked me about other brands then Le Creuset.
Do any of you have any of the other brands like Martha Stewart, Mario, Rachael Ray?

I have le creuset and staub and love them both but I think I prefer my staub as they seem easier to clean because of the darker interior. What are your thoughts and what do you use the pans for?

Thanks for any information. Helen

Old 01-18-2009, 09:37 PM   #2
Senior Cook

Helen, I just purchased a Lodge Enameled Cast Iron Casserole Pan, and I really love it so far. The price was just right and shipping was free from Amazon. I don't know how it will do over time, but I will continue to clean it immediately after using and see how it holds up.

Do you have any dark stains on your Le Creuset or Staub? I'm asking because someone had a question at another message board, and I wanted to know what you use.

Toni

Old 01-18-2009, 09:38 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Hi, Helen. Welcome to DC.

I have no experience with anything other than Le Creuset. Love, love, love my Le Creuset. The insides are light-colored and have discolored over the years, but that doesn't bother me in the least. Just shows that I love it and use it.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:44 PM   #4
Sous Chef

I am generally not a name brand shopper... but every time I look at the stuff Le Creuset its the nicest. Their enamel looks the best...handles etc. They are really pricey though and the other brands will cook great too.... they do generally feel cheaper and are as to be expected made in China. From an aesthetic basis they do not impress me but they will do the job and are far more affordable.

Personally I don't prefer the dark interior of the Staub... IMHO if its dark inside it should be raw CI. Otherwise I like to see that it is clean. Stuab is good stuff though.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:46 PM   #5
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to AMSeccia
I have heard the enamel is thinner on the Batali and that the handles aren't heat safe. Warranty seems to be an issue on some of his products. It sure does look and feel nice, but I agree with Katie ... the LC is the gold standard. I have seen only a few Staub pieces, personally so can't offer much there.

My sister got a Martha Stewart ECI dutch oven at Macy's and is thrilled with her find!
Old 01-18-2009, 09:48 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Gotta say there are bargains out there. Our last Le Creuset skillet was 99 cents on eBay. What a find!
Old 01-18-2009, 09:49 PM   #7
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
Gotta say there are bargains out there. Our last Le Creuset skillet was 99 cents on eBay. What a find!
Katie, that's no bargain ... that's a STEAL!
Old 01-18-2009, 09:53 PM   #8
Head Chef

Speaking of Ebay, don't overlook deals on such older brand enameled cast iron like: Copco, Cousances, and Descoware.

They often sell much cheaper than LeCreuset and in the case of Copco the cast iron is thicker than LeCreuset. Also Copco has raw cast iron bottoms which make for better heat transfer.
The luster of shiny new appliances can't compete with the virtues of Vintage: namely durability, simplicity, superior cooking and a cool retro look. http://leoladyshousecollectiblesandg....blogspot.com/
http://leoladysw.blogspot.com/
Leolady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 09:53 PM   #9
Sous Chef

on the cost of LC... retail is insane... and unnecessary.

My new LC is from TJ Maxx at steep discount (still expensive) the rest of my enameled CI is older LC/Descoware/Copco all flea market/thrift and all less than $10 no need to pay big $$ for the stuff.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:53 PM   #10
Sous Chef

every piece of LC I have seen at TJ recently is chipped on the edges. Does that matter?