"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-01-2010, 10:23 AM   #1
Senior Cook

English Toffee

Does anyone have any tips for English Toffee. I am planning on making some for Christmas, but haven't done it before. Is it necessary to have a candy thermometer? I have seen some recipes that just say to boil for 7 minutes.

Thanks!

betterthanabox.org
betterthanabox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 05:01 PM   #2
Head Chef

Splurge and buy a candy thermometer--you can use it for lots of other candies, and for deep frying.

(I have made the boil for 7 minutes kind and it turned out great! I can eat the whole batch all by myself.)

Old 12-01-2010, 08:39 PM   #3
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

Be sure to use real butter - it brings important flavor that margarine just can't. The boil needs to reach 300 degrees. Time is not a good way to evaluate at altitude, humidity and lots of other things can affect cook times. I like mine rolled in roasted almonds :)
Old 12-03-2010, 05:58 PM   #4
Head Chef

Never hurts to get the thermometer, you'll use for a multitude of things if you make candies, caramel sauce, and pasturization in canning.
If you go without a thermometer, pay close attention to bubble formation (small bubbles, followed by big bubbles, followed by small again) then to the change in color--when it gets just a little caramel colored, it's done. Stop the heat right away. Work fast, add whatever it needs, and pour it out quickly.

My favorite toffee is with almonds added (too) and then poured into a greased sheet, topped with chocolate, spread thin, then break it up into pieces.
Once you've done it a couple of times, you'll be a master at it.

Tip: don't cook candy with a rubber spatula--had a friend try that, it's not a good idea. Rubber spatulas melt.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:56 PM   #5
Executive Chef

You may want to check the Martha Stewart site. She made some today with chocolate on both sides. Very interesting!!!
Old 12-13-2010, 01:19 AM   #6
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
Never hurts to get the thermometer, you'll use for a multitude of things if you make candies, caramel sauce, and pasturization in canning.
If you go without a thermometer, pay close attention to bubble formation (small bubbles, followed by big bubbles, followed by small again) then to the change in color--when it gets just a little caramel colored, it's done. Stop the heat right away. Work fast, add whatever it needs, and pour it out quickly.

My favorite toffee is with almonds added (too) and then poured into a greased sheet, topped with chocolate, spread thin, then break it up into pieces.
Once you've done it a couple of times, you'll be a master at it.

Tip: don't cook candy with a rubber spatula--had a friend try that, it's not a good idea. Rubber spatulas melt.
Thanks for your story.

You made me smile in a large way. Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:59 PM   #7
Flour Child

Trader Joe's dips their toffee in dark chocolate and coats each piece with chunks of bright green Roasted Pistachios. They are colorful for the holidays and deeeelicious! I have yet to find pistachios that are as bright a green as theirs...but I've only looked one place come to think of it

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 11:53 AM   #8
Senior Cook

mmm that sounds good!

betterthanabox.org
betterthanabox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 05:51 PM   #9
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by betterthanabox View Post
mmm that sounds good!
Agreed! I love toffee! :)