"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-19-2005, 01:38 AM   #11
Master Chef

Audeo - found the Enova oil at my Albertson's, too! Funny, I thought the Enova site said Kroger was a carrier .... but they don't have it. Hey, come on over to my side of town to shop - the 20oz bottle of Enova was only $4.99! And, right below that was a gallon of "pure" olive oil for $5.49.

I guess I'll just keep wondering what Enova oil taste like ....

And, I don't use enough oil in cooking to make it worth my while to buy a big bottle of anything other than a really good EVOO.

Old 01-22-2005, 07:29 AM   #12
Head Chef

Well, isn't that something! I guess our prices here are due to our proximity to "Colleywood"!

I am definitely behind you all the way regarding not using much oil to begin with and keeping olive oil on hand! Same here!

Thanks for the invite!!!

Old 01-26-2005, 12:41 AM   #13
Master Chef

it looks funny. off in color and really cloudy. and at $6.99 for 20 oz., i'd say stick with nice, healthy olive oil.
Old 02-11-2005, 12:51 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to MochaBean04
I work at Wegmans, (grocery store eastern side of US) and they is a lady who comes in and demos new products so that we have a chance to taste them before buying them. She had a setup with some of this oil and italian bread. It is honeslty really gross. it tastes like a very bitterish sour italian dressing. i honeslty do not recomend it. Im sticking with olive oil. . .
Old 02-11-2005, 01:04 PM   #15
Head Chef

Mocha, thanks for the heads up. I've never bought it, so am very glad now that I didn't waste my money!
Old 03-06-2005, 02:26 AM   #16
Master Chef

Is ADM trying to blind us with "science"? .....

The 25-cent quick tour ... Saturated fats raise the bad (LDL and VLDL) cholesterol, Poly-unsaturated fats lower all cholesterol (the good and bad), and Mono-unsaturated raises the good (HDL) and lowers the bad cholesterol. LDL leaves deposits of cholesterol and HDL helps to pick them up and sweep them away. Simplified explanation ....

Part 2 - how things get labeled ... normally things are labeled in rounded up percentages to a whole number. Enova Oil has it's saturated fat content labeled as 0.5g - which everyone else would round up to 1g. BUT - they don't decimalize the unsaturated fats .... humm .... so there is a missing 0.5g of fat!

Now - I got a bottle of Kroger "Natural Blended Oil" - which is also a blend of canola and soybean oils. Humm .... looking at the label .... it also has a missing 1g of fat due to the rounding process. ARRGH!!!

But ... here is what I come up with ..... Enova oil is about $7 - Kroger oil was $0.79 on sale (48 fl oz). And, the Kroker oil had more good fats than the Enova .......

Enova : 1g Sat .. 8g Poly-unsat .. 5g Mono-unsat - Calories: 120 Tbsp
Kroger: 1g Sat .. 5g Poly-unsat .. 7g Mono-unsat - Calories: 120 Tbsp

From that - it would seem that the Kroger oil was actually a little healthier, and a heck of a lot cheaper! Actually, not a lot of difference other than the price.

I'm still not done .... there are the tri, di. and mono glycerides ... I think I understand them but I'm trying to hook up with a food chemist to get this all straight. I'll let you know when I learn more ...
Old 03-13-2005, 08:42 AM   #17
Master Chef

Michael; you are a research engine. You get it done. Thanks for all of your inputs. They are appreciated.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 10:16 AM   #18
Cook

D'ont think it's worth starting a new thread on the subject,but what are your favorite oils?mines are,EVOO(allpurposes),peanut(salads,asians,seasoni ng cookwares),roasted sessame seeds(asian),walnut(some fryed potatoes dishes,salads),butter. Found a site selling food grade beef tallow ,I'm tempted to buy 5gl for deep frying meats & potatoes.What are your choices?That enova stuff looks pretty scary(like some kind of rendered BF goodrich tires).
Old 03-14-2005, 02:37 PM   #19
Master Chef

Well, Ifit I look at three things - utility (melting point for baking, smoke point for cooking), flavor, and nutritional value. For everyday use it's usually one of 3 olive oils (EVOO, Pure or Lite) ... sometimes I use vegetable oils. I have no problem with lard or Crisco or butter .... each has a purpose and flavor in baking and cooking. Because of the flavor, I generally only use peanut oil for Asian dishes .... I know it's "supposed" to be a neutral flavor but try making a batch of brownies with it instead of vegetable oil. Nut and seed oils such as walnut, sessame are for flavoring, not for cooking.

As for using tallow for frying ..... I probably wouldn't unless there is some specific unique flavor you're trying to impart to a specific dish. If I remember right ... it's got about twice the saturated fat of lard. To be honest ... I don't think I've run into more than 5-6 recipes that called for tallow ... and they were VERY old English recipes.
Old 03-14-2005, 05:37 PM   #20
Master Chef

Another great oil that is very versatile, healthy for a veggie oil (but it's actually a seed oil), is absolutley neutral in flavor, and has a relatively high smoke point is suflower oil. I use it for almost all of my frying. Occasionally I'll use butter or peanut oil. But as Michael said, those are not neutral flavors. The same is true of olive oils, especially EVOO.

Safflower oil is pretty good stuff as well. Another advantage of sunflower oil is that it is the second most widely produced cooking oil on the planet. That helps keep the cost down. Unfortunately, it's harder to find than is canola oil, which I don't use.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote