Epic Fail, Not servable...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeni78

Senior Cook
So this happened today. Sourdough. Always a bummer when bread doesn't turn out given all the work.

I will not be taking this to my sister's... Now ideas for it? ImageUploadedByDiscuss Cooking1463861967.851528.jpg

Eat anything you want, but make it yourself.

Posting from the app.

Hm. Looks pretty grim. What about scraping or cutting off the burnt stuff, toasting the remains, rub with a garlic clove, and making croutons or bruschetta?

It looks like a twelve dollar loaf of wood fired brick oven artisanal bread to me!

Slice it and see what you find, you may be surprised! :yum:

If not make friends with the birds in the back yard and try again tomorrow! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

P.S. I would definitely take that loaf of bread to my sister's house!!! :LOL::LOL::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
I'd vote for a savory bread pudding since it's sourdough, maybe Emeril's mushroom bread pudding, one of our faves. Bread crumbs or croutons otherwise. Did you forget about it for it to get that burned?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd vote for a savory bread pudding since it's sourdough, maybe Emeril's mushroom bread pudding, one of our faves. Bread crumbs or croutons otherwise. Did you forget about it for it to get that burned?

This interests me. Will have to look it up.

Emeril's Exotic Mushroom Bread Pudding looks fantastic! I'm adding this to my recipes-to-make list.

I have never made Panzanella, but just so happen to have all the ingredients AND am leaving town for a week so need to use them... Perhaps this was meant to be. ?

So how it happened... I very deliberately decided my loaf wasn't browning the way I had planned. I thought a couple minutes under the broiler, on the middle rack, would be FINE. Nope!

Haha, cheers to learning. Forever learning. ?

Eat anything you want, but make it yourself.

Posting from the app.

Larry, think of the silkiness of a cooked custard, combined with French toast and it all gets stirred together like Thanksgiving stuffing. Can be a sweet for dessert or as savory side dish depending on added ingredients.

Incidentally, my dear late mother was an Expert at making burnt toast. I look at your sour dough loaf as saving a step and ready to serve.

Just out of curiosity, what is the consistency of a bread pudding ? Is it quiche - like, or more firm ( and less eggy) ?

With Emeril's mushroom bread pudding, it puffs up like a souffle and then deflates as it cools (just like a souffle). Obviously it's more dense than a souffle would be, but otherwise, it's kind of like Whiskadoodle described. We always have this with prime rib. I don't find it eggy at all, especially as I usually add more mushies than the recipe calls for.

With Emeril's mushroom bread pudding, it puffs up like a souffle and then deflates as it cools (just like a souffle). Obviously it's more dense than a souffle would be, but otherwise, it's kind of like Whiskadoodle described. We always have this with prime rib. I don't find it eggy at all, especially as I usually add more mushies than the recipe calls for.

Im not an " Eggy" kinda guy. I like the taste of quiche, but the egginess i just can't get over. If its less eggy, Id probably be able to get over it.

Im not an " Eggy" kinda guy. I like the taste of quiche, but the egginess i just can't get over. If its less eggy, Id probably be able to get over it.

I'm pretty much that way now too. I'm finding it really hard to eat fried eggs or scrambled eggs last 5-6 months or so, though I am able to eat a hard boiled egg. The last couple of times we've had quiche or fritatta I've had to have lots of fruit or fried potatoes to be able to get it down and that's something I used to love. Sometimes I'm okay, I was able to eat an over-easy egg with my grits when we went to breakfast yesterday but it's been a good while since I ate a fried egg. Craig usually gets mine if they come with my meal.

Bread pudding should not taste eggy. I have a recipe for a breakfast bread pudding with apples, raisins, maple sausage and cinnamon; those are the primary flavors.

With all those ingredients and the bread, the eggs are just for binding and don't contribute much to the flavor.

Back
Top Bottom