"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-16-2012, 06:21 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Neither fish nor fowl

On a cold winter afternoon at dusk in the late 1950's, I shot my first waterfowl over a freezing salt water creek. My friend and I stripped down to our long johns and swam out to retrieve the birds. Then, while our long johns stiffened with ice, we had to wait for my friend's mom to come and drive us home. That night, after a warm up and change into something dry, I gutted and skinned the Brant.
Late the next afternoon the bird was put in the oven. After about an hour the kitchen started to smell foul and the bird was moved to the back porch. Overnight some hapless critter dragged the Brant some 100 feet from the porch before abandoning it uneaten. Not even the Crows were interested in feasting on it.
That experience was enough to delay my next encounter with waterfowl for nearly a decade until I was treated to a tasty meal on the NS Savannah.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:33 AM   #12
Sous Chef

I've had a couple,

Invited over to my neigbors house for Thanksgiving, cooked a lovely pumpkin pie, while walking the scant few feet I tripped, and the pie hit the dirt.

Goat cheese stuffed chicken breasts..........don't do this at home folks.

Lastly, ground turkey stuffed portabellos.......not inedible, just not good.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:41 AM   #13
Executive Chef

"Fails" were my cooking instructor! Being self taught, I made some pretty bad tasting stuff and ate it anyway. Got better real fast.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:58 AM   #14
Senior Cook

Location: Central Kentucky---Where The Bluegrass Meets The Mountains
Failures? Never had one---cuz I call them learning experiences.

And, as St. Julia used to say, "don't be afraid. You can always eat your mistakes."
Old 02-16-2012, 09:02 AM   #15
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I turned a cooked frosting into marshmallow once, it was an epic fail, but everyone wanted me to repeat it. Never have been able to...
Old 02-16-2012, 09:42 AM   #16
Executive Chef

I have had a few doozies, but the funniest one, to me anyway, was a work related one. I used to be the buffet man at a restaurant for a few years. It was a Sunday brunch with tons of hot items. One item was these boil-in-a-bag honey garlic ribs. I used to keep a few bags in the steam table ready to go whenever they needed them. One Sunday we were really busy and the owner, who worked the floor also, was running food out to the buffet. He was standing there with a steam table insert for me to put the ribs in so he could take them out. I cut the corner off of the bag, pivoted, and poured the whole 5 lb bag into the garbage pail right beside us. We just sort of stared at each other in a moment of silent disbelief. I don't know what I was thinking, maybe tired or pre occupied, momentary laps of brain function. Dunno. Good thing, he liked me and I was good at my job, otherwise I may have been thrown out then and there. He still teased me about it for a few months after.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:50 AM   #17
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
On a cold winter afternoon at dusk in the late 1950's, I shot my first waterfowl over a freezing salt water creek. My friend and I stripped down to our long johns and swam out to retrieve the birds. Then, while our long johns stiffened with ice, we had to wait for my friend's mom to come and drive us home. That night, after a warm up and change into something dry, I gutted and skinned the Brant.
Late the next afternoon the bird was put in the oven. After about an hour the kitchen started to smell foul and the bird was moved to the back porch. Overnight some hapless critter dragged the Brant some 100 feet from the porch before abandoning it uneaten. Not even the Crows were interested in feasting on it.
That experience was enough to delay my next encounter with waterfowl for nearly a decade until I was treated to a tasty meal on the NS Savannah.
Hahahah not just humans "are what we eat"
Old 02-16-2012, 10:38 AM   #18
Executive Chef

I've had more than a few but the most epic one happened many moons ago.

I decided to try Cajun Blackened fish, don't recall what it was, I think it was tilapia.

Anywho, instead of lightly rolling the fillets in the spice mixture, I decided to press them. Big mistake.

The house was evacuated and all windows were opened. It was like someone tossed a pepper spray grenade into the kitchen.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:52 AM   #19
Everymom

I've had a few minor disasters, but rarely is stuff inedible. The one I remember best is the baking powder biscuits I made when we were first married. I made a lovely dinner of roast chicken, potatoes, lovely salad etc. The biscuits LOOKED amazing. My husband was manfully choking one down, but had to get up to get the jam. I thought that was a bit odd til I tasted my own. BLECH!!! Some idiot accidentally used baking SODA instead of POWDER. Oh so bad. Completely inedible.

(Edit: Nice to see you DampCharcoal! You gotta come around more than once every 2 years dude, we miss you!)
Old 02-16-2012, 11:04 AM   #20
Executive Chef

I missed y'all too! ;)