Escargot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If making escargot at home, here's a cool trick that you can do which looks great presentation wise. Fun for impressing guests.

Take about 1 cup of softened unsalted butter, then puree it together with minced garlic, thyme, chives, and chervil. Refrigerate the butter to let it harden until you need it. When the butter melts while the escagot are cooking, it will end up as this irridescent green color which looks pretty **** cool.
Would this work with something besides snails? Or is it something in the snails that makes it change color.

my daughter, miss picky eater, loves them. me not so much. never had them and am sure i won't either.

can't get past the slimy trail they leave on the sidewalk at night. don't hardly ever refuse to take a chance and try something. this is the one, though

babe:wacko::wacko:

Babe, I just can't resist telling you that some of the best snails I have ever enjoyed were the ones we captured in a lot near the house when I was living in El Cajon! We put them in a box and fed them cornmeal for a week, so they could cleanse themselves of all that "yutz." Then we prepared them with the parsley/garlic butter and put them back into their shells. What a magnificent feast! and a fun experiment. :chef:

my daughter, miss picky eater, loves them. me not so much. never had them and am sure i won't either.

can't get past the slimy trail they leave on the sidewalk at night. don't hardly ever refuse to take a chance and try something. this is the one, though

babe:wacko::wacko:
I lived in San Diego for several years before moving to Las Vegas. We were bombarded with snails - they were EVERYWHERE!! I never made escargot from the snails that crawled around on the sidewalk. Made me sick to see those little buggers and the slimy trail they left behind. My husband and I lived on them in restaurants and at home using canned snails. I don't know why but seeing them on the ground is a real turn-off.

Lots of garlic and chopped fresh Italian parsley sauteed in butter. Stuff the shells or an escargot plate with the snails, pour the sauce over them, under the broiler for about 3 or 4 minutes, then pop them in your mouth. Sop up the delicious sauce with crusty french bread - sheer heaven!!! I had them twice this week in restaurants and can't get enough!

I lived in San Diego for several years before moving to Las Vegas. We were bombarded with snails - they were EVERYWHERE!! I never made escargot from the snails that crawled around on the sidewalk. Made me sick to see those little buggers and the slimy trail they left behind. My husband and I lived on them in restaurants and at home using canned snails. I don't know why but seeing them on the ground is a real turn-off.
I know, but we decided to make lemonade out of the lemons, as it were. All depends upon your point of view. And yes, they WERE delicious.
Lots of garlic and chopped fresh Italian parsley sauteed in butter. Stuff the shells or an escargot plate with the snails, pour the sauce over them, under the broiler for about 3 or 4 minutes, then pop them in your mouth. Sop up the delicious sauce with crusty french bread - sheer heaven!!! I had them twice this week in restaurants and can't get enough!

The snails and the parsley/garlic butter also are a great sauce for linguine!

lurker surfing a tasty old thread.

i wonder what happened to june?

i could go for some snails.

my family and i occasionally go to an italian place that has a great 4 course, early bird special ($13/person, cash only, finger to nose) that i think has half to do with the appy course.

it's the only place around that offers escargot fra diavolo, and every time we've been there it's been fantastic.

the rest of the courses certainly don't suck, but when you've got a jonesin' for snails...

soon after joining dc, chef june introduced me to food52. (ty, june)

here's my favorite food photog introducing himself, "I eat with my camera and take pictures of food, mostly in paris, Tokyo, Stockholm, mexico, and n.y.,n.y."

I worked for a restaurant and the owner's BIL used to go to the farmers market every day to pick up what was needed for the day. Every so often he would bring back some unusual food for himself and the owner. That would included a bagful of snails. They even kept a pile of safety pins that had been boiled. One day a customer came in and asked what they were eating. He wanted to know if they were on the menu. From that day on they were. Every Saturday along with tripe they were a regular and big selling item. No I never tried them. :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom