"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 04-19-2006, 08:20 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew
Good one Kades.
Thanks JP,
at the time I was young and so embarassed I wanted to crawl under the table. Now, It makes me laugh just remembering it.

kadesma

Old 04-19-2006, 08:25 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Aw heck it wasn't your fault.Was she quieter the rest of the night? Or was that all she could talk about.

Old 04-19-2006, 08:30 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Aw heck it wasn't your fault.Was she quieter the rest of the night? Or was that all she could talk about.
Oh she wasn't quiet, both her DH and b-i-l were given the how could you, which made them laugh even louder, then the got the dirty looks then tears..by then, we were all LOL like loons To this day we can't look at a garden variety snail when together without then looking at each other and howling...

kadesma
Old 04-19-2006, 09:31 PM   #14
Head Chef

Thanks Constance. I will confess I have had a growing urge to try those little suckers again.

Usually, though, there is another item on the appetizer menu that I really like, that choice gets me off the hook.

One of these days perhaps, maybe, when, OK, if we had a cocktail before ordering.

Have always found that if most people like stuff I probably do too.

That excludes boiled eggs and fennel. Blechh, a thousand times blechh.

But OK, maybe, but I usually like the other stuff on the menu and really don't want to take a chance and try the snails.

Sometimes liking something is getting it past you mind.

Anyway, God bless.
Old 04-20-2006, 04:39 AM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
luvs, was it served in an escargot plate? ya know, a dish with 6 little pockets in it?
i love snails in a pool of garlic butter in one of those plates, each pocket topped with puff pastry.

how was yours served?

also, if you get the chance, try snails in black bean sauce. you peel off the foot pad, and suck them out of the shells which are bathed in a delicious chinese sauce.
thanks, bucky. they were just in this smalll puff pasty shell with snails around it & in that pastry shell itself in a delicious cream sauce. awww, were they delicious.
to others who responded, i thank you & will respond soon!
Old 04-20-2006, 10:41 AM   #16
Executive Chef

I woke up in the middle of the night last night I forgot another ingredient for the ecargot provencal,a little white wine.DUH
Old 04-20-2006, 07:28 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I woke up in the middle of the night last night I forgot another ingredient for the ecargot provencal,a little white wine.DUH
Don't you just love it when that happens? With me I wake up alright, then spend a good hour trying to remember what the heck I woke up for

kadesma
Old 04-20-2006, 09:37 PM   #18
Executive Chef

If making escargot at home, here's a cool trick that you can do which looks great presentation wise. Fun for impressing guests.

Take about 1 cup of softened unsalted butter, then puree it together with minced garlic, thyme, chives, and chervil. Refrigerate the butter to let it harden until you need it. When the butter melts while the escagot are cooking, it will end up as this irridescent green color which looks pretty **** cool.
Old 04-23-2006, 10:43 PM   #19
Master Chef

sounds delicious, ironchef.
i had another order of them yesterday. a couple glasses of free alcohol, too!
Old 07-08-2008, 02:09 PM   #20
Senior Cook

Send a message via ICQ to Billdolfski Send a message via AIM to Billdolfski Send a message via MSN to Billdolfski Send a message via Yahoo to Billdolfski
I made them today. Put the poached snails (canned) in the escargot dish (with the six receptacles) completely covered in a compound butter (whole butter, shallots, garlic, S&P) and topped with panko.

The poaching liquid was white wine, chicken stock, shallots and garlic (the recipe called for mostly Chablis and a bit of a wine I don't remember... the white wine that was on hand was used in their stead).

Poached snail, compound butter, panko and baked off. I had a napkin ready in case it grossed me out, but it wasn't offensive at all.