"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-29-2007, 10:11 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Ethiopian Restaurant

I wasn't sure where to put this because it's not a recipe, but rather just some talk about cuisine. I went to an Ethiopian restaurant tonight for the first time. It was FABULOUS! They had a sampler type of dish, so we were able to get about 6 different types of food to try. Most of of it was spicy - I tried a spicy lentil dish, portabella mushrooms dish, and a chickpea dish. My bf tried a beef dish, lamb dish and chicken dish. Everything was wonderful.

Now I want to search for some recipes and try to make some of it. Anyone try cooking or eating this type of food before? Any suggestions?

healthyfoodie
healthyfoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 09:34 PM   #2
Assistant Cook

ive only been once and it was pretty good. be careful with the bread, though, it expands in your stomach after you eat it. i learned that the hard way :(

Old 10-06-2007, 09:45 PM   #3
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyfoodie View Post
I
Now I want to search for some recipes and try to make some of it. Anyone try cooking or eating this type of food before? Any suggestions?
Done a few recipes. Doro wat is a form of stew, usually with chicken. Great seasoned broth with it. They also have this really interesting, spongy bread called injera. Actually made with soda water. Good with the doro wat sauce.
Old 10-06-2007, 11:51 PM   #4
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyfoodie View Post
I did a search here and found there have been a lot of posts about Ethiopian foods (not sure how many recipes, as I didn't look that far). There was a recipe for Dorowat. You can also go to the Ethnic Foods forum and post an "ISO Ethiopian recipes" thread.

I wish we had more ethnic restaurants available to us. Other than a Mexican restaurant and a small Chinese take-out place there is nothing ethnic in our town. Twenty miles from us we have several Mexican, and Chinese restaurants, an Italian restaurant, and a fantastic Japanese restaurant. A little farther, in Charlotte, there is a little more to choose from, including Indian and Brazilian restaurants and a South African food store.

Barbara
Old 10-07-2007, 06:45 AM   #5
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Ethiopia: Menus & Recipes from Africa

I LOVE Ethiopian food!

What restaurant was it if I can pick your brain. There are some GREAT ones in D.C., Harambe in Adams Morgan and I am in LOVE with Dukem on U street Honestly, it is one of the few things I miss from the mainland. Not any out here in HI(to my knowledge).
Old 10-07-2007, 09:52 AM   #6
Head Chef

My family and I do a themed dinner every year, where we choose a region of the world and prepare a 5-course menu with recipes known for that region.

One year we did "African". Now Africa is a huge continent, but we have some picky eaters in the crowd and wanted plenty of recipes to choose from, to satisfy everyone.

What I remember best about the menu was that we did make Doro Wat (delicious) and several fried appetizers, including fried fava beans and whole fried okra.

By QSis

The meal was a great success with everyone, and encouraged all of us to explore more African regional cuisines.

Lee
Old 10-07-2007, 01:20 PM   #7
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Wow, what a great idea Lee!

Barbara