everyone has a secret to their ambrosia, what's yours?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LEFSElover

Executive Chef

A friend of ours make ambrosia every year at Thanksgiving. Her's contains, but isn't limited to, banana's, marachino cherry's, oranges, coconut and the sauce is a flavor that I can only assume is cool whip or maybe the real thing being whipped cream, mixed with vanilla pudding mix, as it jells up a bit when set. How do you make yours and what is your secret? Care to share?

I guess the closest thing I make to it is this recipe - gosh, there are so many versions - this is the only ambrosiaesque thing that I really like:

Somehow I lost my recipe but it's normally called Frog Eye Salad (I know, weird but good anyway!!)

Many many variations. The secret is to me is DRAINING OVERNIGHT in a colander in the refrigerator the mandarin oranges and pineapple, get all that liquid out before mixing up again with others fruits and creams because it will make its own juice again.

mudbug - you could very easily to the Frog Eye salad without the coconut - it is very refreshing - and great for breakfast like someone else mentioned! LOL

I do not think there is any SET recipe, you can use what ever fruit you like. Personally, I prefer berries, apples, cantelope, pineapple, green grapes and the do need to be drained and the coconut must be toasted and sprinkled on top, not mixed in. Liquor can be added with the creme fresche or sour cream, Creme de Cassis or triple sec. Do not like it with whipped cream or the dream whip stuff.

I think I'll probably do one of each fruit:
gala or fuji apple
orange supremes from a real orange
banana
pineapple small can (chunks) drained
a handful of green grapes
a handful of red seedless grapes
a bosc pair
then do a combo of mayo, whipped cream, creme fresh and then look at the consistency.
I can toast the coconut and sprinkle it ontop.
sounds like something I'd like just a little of as a side dish that I've never made.
I'm always up for something new.
my son is making two pies, he had to call me and tell me that, so cute.

Hello!
I like doing mine with chopped apple, pineapple, toasted pecans, mini marshmallows, coconut, cherries, raisins and whipped cream. I like to soak the apples in the pineapple juice for a bit to keep them from oxidizing. It's kind of like a cross between ambrosia and waldorf salad, but hey...we like it! :D
Don't think I will be making any this week though. I already have my hands full with other stuff. :LOL:

good suggestion about the apples maserating in the pineapple juice, I'd have not thought of that. I also forgot about the little marshmallows. I do have marshmallow whip in jars, but, am saving it (as the good stuff) the kind I have, is from back east and I can't get it here on the west coast that I know of. These suggestions have really helped me, thank you all for joining in.

Our ambrosia has only navel oranges, coconut and enough sugar (about 1 tbsp) to start the juices running. Anything else added makes it fruit salad.

The marshmallow creme makes me think too much about fudge and rice krispie bars. If my daughter finds out I have it on hand, I get begged to make that.
For Halloween, I had added some red and yellow food coloring to the rice krispie bar mixture until it was nicely orange, then stirred in some candy corn. I pressed that into a pan and then did the "graveyard" thing on top of it, adding marshmallow ghost shapes as well as more candy corn and candy pumpkins. It was very well received. :)

Here is a pic of it:
Kreepie Krispie Treats

If anyone needs the recipe. you can use just about any old rice krispie bar recipe if you have one, and just add the stuff. I figure most people have that so I will wait to post if someone needs it. Just let me know. ;)

Back
Top Bottom