"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-04-2007, 10:16 PM   #11
Senior Cook

I'm not fond of "fishy" fish either. Maybe she would like cod or haddock. Neither of these have a fishy smell, and the texture is firm and the taste is delicious baked and then dipped in butter (or to watch calories perhaps served with a fruit salsa). Also, talapia and orange roughy tend to be fish that people will eat even if they aren't too fond of other types of fish. Talapia is good seved with a vegetable medley of zuchinni, onion, carrot and yellow squash.

Congratulations and enjoy this time together.

Old 02-04-2007, 10:53 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Try cooking with Quinoa - it is easy, fast and nutritious
also you can have soups and stews ready for her and you to eat in the slow cooker and you can make oatmeal at night to be ready for you in the morning (part of a nice nutritious hot breakfast)

Quinoa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"the United Nations has classified it as a supercrop for its very high protein content (12-18%). Unlike wheat or rice (which are low in lysine), quinoa contains a balanced set of essential amino acids for humans, making it an unusually complete foodstuff. This means it takes less quinoa protein to meet one's needs than wheat protein. It is a good source of dietary fiber and phosphorus and is high in magnesium and iron. Quinoa is also gluten free and considered easy to digest. Because of all these characteristics, quinoa is being considered as a possible crop in NASA's Controlled Ecological Life Support System for long-duration manned spaceflights"

Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 07:05 AM   #13
Executive Chef

There are cookbooks that address the very things you are looking for. The Le Leche League, the breast feeding advocacy group, has an excellent book entitled, Whole Foods for the Whole Family. It is geared for healthy food prep, eating and storing. The recipes do NOT contain any processed foods (cans of cream of something soups) nor any white flour. It has recipes for made from scratch whole grain dishes. It has recipes for vegetarians, for quick meals, for good meals to put in the freezer. It also has kid friendly recipes. Amazon.com used to carry a nice selection of their cookbooks.

Congratulations and good luck!
Old 02-05-2007, 07:14 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
in a word "Folic acid", ok so that`s 2 words, but you catch my drift :)

and Congrats, being a Dad totaly Rocks! :)

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 02:26 PM   #15
Sous Chef

The pre-natal vitamins are a MUST!! As far as the food goes, what ever she wants, though try not to have her eat to many fatty, sugary foods!! Congrats and best of luck!!
Old 02-05-2007, 03:39 PM   #16
Head Chef

As an expectant father, are you eating right? It is very important that you get the proper nutrition during this time as well. All the excitement and anxiety and change in your lifestyle can drain you. You should be taking a good daily multi-vitamin.
Getting a medical physical is essential to your health. Monitor your mood swings and stress levels. Take precautions not to over induldge in any remodeling that involves toxic levels of lead and other brain damaging chemicals that can cause an increase in your blood pressure and create symptoms for a possible stroke.
Consult your doctor about the best nutritional diet for you.
I hope the very best for your family and the many blessings of fatherhood.
Old 02-05-2007, 09:56 PM   #17
Master Chef

Congratulations, Dan!

Yep, I've ridden in this rodeo a few times!

Your first, and foremost, source of dietary information should be your wife's doctor - be it a family physician, OB/GYN or pediatrician. He/She should be able to give you at least a basic pamplet on prenatal diets to get you started. You should also discuss your wife's vegan lifestyle with him/her.

Prenatal vitamins are only a suppliment to her diet - not a replacement for a good diet.

Here are some things both of you might want to look over:

Foods to avoid during pregnancy

Prenatal Diets and Recipes

Vegan prenatal diet

Vegetarian prenatal diet

Odd Cravings During Pregnancy

Exercise during Pregnancy

If you want to consult with someone local in Anchorage from the Le Leche League - click here.

Unless she has some medical condition - she is not an invalid - so you don't need to feel like you have to do all of the cooking by yourself. Although, helping with the cooking and housework is something you should have been doing all along, right girls?

Once you work out the diet - then you can work on the recipes.
Old 02-06-2007, 04:33 AM   #18
Sous Chef

Hello Jurdoc

I am a mother. I remember those preganancy cravings.
I think the best thing to do, is pander to your wifes eating whims, for now. The baby knows what it needs. Add as much fresh fruit and vegetables as u can, to whatever it is she wants to eat. Or just give them, as a side serving. U dont have to buy expensive things for her, to eat. Just ask what things she is in the mood for, each time u go shopping. The cravings change throughout pregnancy. And some things, that one likes when not pregnant, are unappetising, while pregnant.

Mel
Old 02-21-2007, 06:49 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

quick and easy recipes

Congrats on the baby...

I was pregnant myself not too long ago, and I remember LOTS of take-out. Not good! What was helpful, however, was to make things on Sundays and freeze them in 4 serving containers until ready to bake. I made things like lasagna and enchiladas as I recall. What I would suggest is to get Bon Appetit magazine- they have a "Quick and Easy" section toward the back of their monthly mag. Cooking Light also has suggestions for quick and easy (and they're healthy too). Check out their website and you can actually put certain ingredients in for searches within their quick and easy section.

Good luck!
Lori
Old 02-28-2007, 09:09 PM   #20
Cook

After both babies i just kicked myself for not stocking my freezer with meals for the first two weeks, right after the baby is born when mom is still tired and worn out she just needs rest and to take care of baby.
After the baby is 12 weeks or so things really calm down and get back to normal a little, well your new normal.
I would be worried about iron, alot of women get low iron in the last month and it is hard to get that iron up after it goes down and you don't want to take to much iron either it takes awhile to get it out of the body when it builds up. I bet there are some good books on Vegan diets and pregnancy if you don't allready have one that is, Sounds like you will be doing some cooking, Good luck with your new little bundle of Joy. Janet