"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 11-07-2010, 09:58 AM   #11
Senior Cook

I've always bought organic produce and meat because their flavour is all there on the plate. What I haven't otherwise grown, I buy from markets, from people I trust, the food which I know tastes great. If organically grown fruit and veg weren't tasty, I wouldn't buy it. Simple as that.

Two weeks ago I bought a sheep for the freezer. It was hogget, what would in my country be from one to two years old. The sheep was locally reared and its meat lovely. It weighed something around 40 lbs, was far cheaper than our supermarkets whose current prices vary between 5.99 kilo for chump chops to way hight of about 16.00 Kilo for fillet or leg. So I managed to get a pure bargain, oganically reared sheep for no more than 1.55 lb.

Some say "yay" and others, "Nay". But that's their opinions, so I go by what I know and seeing a tray of cherries, or beans looking all nice and at a good price, then I'll buy it, take it home and enjoy life, my eating life, to the full.

Old 11-07-2010, 11:50 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Imported cheeses. I'm trying to buy at least one fancy cheese every shopping day as a splurge. I love cheese.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 12:06 PM   #13
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
I find that I entered my post re organic beans & greens in the eggs & cheese forum. Pardon me. I'm going back to FAQ's to learn how to better navigate and properly do posting on DC. Hope you regulars will cut us learners some slack, and thanks.
We always cut learners some slack and we are more than happy to teach you the ropes and help with learning the forum structure. Some of us, me, are still learning the ins and outs of moving things around! Welcome TinLizzie!
Old 11-07-2010, 12:54 PM   #14
Master Chef

I'm not into all the organic hype.
For produce I go to the local Asian market where prices are much lower than supermarket prices, and other ethnic markets.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:03 PM   #15
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

You are lucky, Roadfix, to have the ethinc markets. Once the farmer's market fold for the year I am back to supermarket produce...makes me glad for http://www.goodfoodstore.com/, very similar to Trader Joe's and Whole Foods.

I mention them enough, thought I'd give you a look-see.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:04 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Truffles. It's a weakness I have. That truffles IMO, top everything gone before... so I would take pig, take a week's vacation, drive a certain place around Modena or Alba and maybe...
Old 11-07-2010, 02:29 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

meat in general is very expensive. fish even more so, unless on special. i eat more fish than other meats, so just have to put up with it. try to buy on special and freeze. not always easy. here trader joe's is even more expensive that supermarkets. simply can not afford it.
Old 11-07-2010, 03:48 PM   #18
Head Chef

Re Good Food Store, Princess, if the quality of the food is as good as the quality of their flyer, Wow.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:11 PM   #19
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
Re Good Food Store, Princess, if the quality of the food is as good as the quality of their flyer, Wow.
Oh, it is! It's hard to stay out of there and away from the deli and cheese counters. Their bulk foods is outstanding. The service is fantastic, I can't say enough good things about them.

They do their best to provide at the local level before searching farther afield to keep the shelves filled.

Pricing: they are just pennies more on produce than the supermarket and their produce is much better. Meats are worth every penny I spend. Canned goods are competitvely priced.

Tomorrow is Good Food Store day...now if I can just not even go near the deli...
Old 11-09-2010, 09:21 AM   #20
Sous Chef

I've seen enough information to convince me that buying local is healthiest, but not enough to convince me that buying organic is, for myself or my planet. For every study that says that organics are safer there is a study that says they aren't any safer. I've also never found a conclusive study saying that organic food is any more nutritious than other freshly picked, in season food. There are definite benefits to pumping fewer chemicals into our soil, but organics often take 4 times the resources to produce, taxing our natural resources much more heavily. The whole matter is further complicated by the fact that studies are rarely done by disinterested parties. That said, JIC, I try to buy a little of both, and try my best to keep myself and my family healthy in other ways, and protect my planet by recycling, conserving energy and resources, and using cloth diapers.

Always try to bring a spare set of clothing when you dream about going to work or school. That way, if you encounter someone having that dream where they show up in their underwear, you'll be their hero.
Sprout is offline   Reply With Quote