"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 05-08-2004, 07:00 PM   #11
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to kyles
Because powders have no liquid content they don't freeze solid, they are still pourable. I'd transfer them from a packet into an air tight container.

Old 05-08-2004, 08:47 PM   #12
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I keep anything I don't want bugs getting into, or things that I don't use often, in the freezer (About the bugs--I do keep a clean house. But I live in a very humid place and there are all kinds of creepy-crawlies that would love to get in).

In fact, even if you don't keep it there, you should freeze things like flour for a couple days, as it comes with little bugs you can't see, and freezing kills them (what I was told anyway). I keep powdered milk, instant potatoes (both of which I use for cooking emergencies) in the freezer. I have a huge freezer and not a lot of cupboard space, so it is handy for me. Most things can be used right out of the freezer, but flour should be allowed to warm up to room temperature before using.

:) Barbara

Old 05-08-2004, 10:13 PM   #13
Head Chef

Barb I would invest immediately in a Vaccuume Sealer (my spelling of that word is always iffy)

I don't live in a humid or buggy climate but we were infested with moths at one time and the house rule was if you see a moth you don't get to sit down until you kill it!

Turned out they were from a bag of nut meats that hadn't even been opened :?: :?: :?: I REALLY despise bugs!

Hubby knows...If I see a cockroach I'm moving! :!:
Old 05-08-2004, 11:36 PM   #14
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Linda,

Actually I have a vacuum sealer. But it doesn't help much with the bugs that come in things like flour. I also have good Tupperware canisters, which I use for a lot of things. Nothing gets in them. Bugs really aren't that big a problem, thank goodness. And like I said, I have a huge freezer and very little cupboard space, so it works out fine for me. I know that not everyone has a lot of freezer space.

:) Barbara
Old 05-09-2004, 12:05 AM   #15
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
what are 'nut meats'????
Old 05-09-2004, 12:28 AM   #16
Traveling Welcome Wagon

DS,

Nut meats are the part of the nut that you eat. What is inside the shell.

;) Barbara
Old 05-09-2004, 09:35 AM   #17
Cook

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
YES go on chuck all the food no worries there
POST ALL THAT ELVIS STUFF TO ME !!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
:roll:
Old 05-09-2004, 08:35 PM   #18
Senior Cook

Thank you all for so much feedback. I really appreciate it.

Jess, you and I should talk! I think I may have copied some Elvis photos that I should have saved to my hard drive first, but if I did that, I wouldn't be able to post them here. I don't have a website so I can upload them and get a url address for them, so I took a chance.

I see some of them were just red x's today, so I just deleted them. Do you think they'll send the image stealing cops after me?

Jovin
Old 05-10-2004, 04:12 PM   #19
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
So what did you decide to toss? I hope you dont spend hours on the 'throne'.
Old 05-10-2004, 10:54 PM   #20
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly Sushi
So what did you decide to toss? I hope you dont spend hours on the 'throne'.
I tossed it all except the two vinegars and the corn syrup, and that was up for thought...let them sit on the counter for a day, till I made up my mind.

Thanks for your input, Sushi.....I wish that the move was over. I have so much to do, and not really up to it, in more ways than one.

I have to go out of town to help my daughter (grandchildren) tomorrow. I also am trying to stay off my computer so I can get some things done.

Jovin