"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login

Old 05-08-2004, 12:55 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Expiration dates..HELP!

I'm trying to clean out my kitchen food cupboard, as I'm moving in the next month and a half. I'm trying to get a head start on this.

I need answers! How long is it okay to keep things like:
cider vinegar
rice vinegar
corn syrup
corn starch
oxo pkgs
Custard Powder in a tin

All of these have no expiration dates. I know that I've had some of them for a couple of years or so....I'm ashamed to admit it.

Am I the only one who is guilty of this? Keeping things too long?

I'm throwing out a carboard carton of Fancy Molasses...doesn't have an expiry date, but I know it's about two years since I bought it..NEVER OPENED IT even!

The baking that I'd dreamed of doing..but elderly parents' care came first.

Jovin (thanks, guys)

Old 05-08-2004, 02:01 PM   #2
Traveling Welcome Wagon

As long as they look and smell good, I really don't think you will have a problem with them. I would probably keep the oxo and custard powder in the freezer if I were going to keep them a long time, but that's mainly because we have a lot of bugs and high humidity here. Honey is another thing. Did you know it doesn't spoil? If if sugars, just heat it up and let cool.

:) Barbara

Old 05-08-2004, 02:16 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L
As long as they look and smell good, I really don't think you will have a problem with them. I would probably keep the oxo and custard powder in the freezer if I were going to keep them a long time, but that's mainly because we have a lot of bugs and high humidity here. Honey is another thing. Did you know it doesn't spoil? If if sugars, just heat it up and let cool.

I do know about honey, but I'm just not sure about the things I mentioned. The custard powder never was in the fridge...nor the oxo ...never heard of that.

The vinegars look fine, but then who knows? Couldn't they be rank?

Jovin
Old 05-08-2004, 02:26 PM   #4
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
Well.... since I have had food poisoning before.... I personally wounldnt take a chance on ANY of that. I would toss all of it. But thats just me.
Old 05-08-2004, 02:50 PM   #5
Executive Chef

I agree with DS, if you're not sure, dump it. I had food poisoning once, too and I couldn't move for four days! I'm not sure what dying feels like but what I experienced probably came pretty close! I think vinegar has a pretty long shelf life but don't take my word for it! Hopefully, someone else here can elaborate! :)
Old 05-08-2004, 03:01 PM   #6
Head Chef

Vinegar will be perfectly safe...taste it first to see if there's a change in taste. It won't hurt you but if it doesn't taste good why would you use it?

Anything with oil or shortening can become rancid - that smell is obvious! I label things like Bisquick and toss 'em 6 months after opening. The pancakes didn't make me sick but they didn't taste good either.

The corn syrup is ok unless it crystalized then it's hard to use.

Honey never spoils. You can nuke it and use it - it will re-crystalize when it cools but it does not spoil. The cornstarch will not spoil but you might wanna check it for critters.

Is OXO a bullion? If so I'd probably toss it.

Dunno about the custard powder.

Hope that helps!

Old 05-08-2004, 03:19 PM   #7
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Linda is right. Since the oxo and custard powder weren't in the freezer, I would toss them. I kept mine in the freezer and they lasted a long time. I was specifically addressing the things you mentioned, none of which should give you food poisoning (I wouldn't think so anyway). I also did mention that you should look at and smell them to see if they had changed. If your doubts are too strong, of course get rid of them anyway. I'm one of those kinds of people who, if asked, "Does this smell bad?" will always think it is! Especially milk.

Old 05-08-2004, 04:12 PM   #8
Senior Cook

Thanks everyone....I guess I'll be tossing it pretty much all. I just don't know about the vinegars. My daughter gave me them when she was moving about a year and a half ago...she had extra I guess. I haven't really used the rice vinegar before so I don't know what it should taste like.

Cider vinegar...well I sure know that taste...who doesn't if you've been on that cider vinegar and and so on diet......

Thanks again. I appreciate your input.

Jovin
Old 05-08-2004, 04:16 PM   #9
Senior Cook

Barbara, do you mean the fridge? or the freezer? I can't see putting oxo or custard powder in the freezer because you wouldn't be able to use it right away, ???

Jovin
Old 05-08-2004, 05:08 PM   #10
Head Chef

My basic gut rule is to toss anything you don't feel good about. Rice vinegar is very very mild tasting.

Allways better safe than sorry!