"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 04-18-2016, 12:51 PM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
We do a fridge and freezer flush every now and then. The freezer in particular, it usually involves asking each other "Do you know what this is?"
Don't you just hate that?? It's the law here that everything must be labeled in the freezer with my writing not his! If it's his writing, it's still a guessing game.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 12:53 PM   #12
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
A jar of capers. Only five years past the expiration date.
Hah! Only 5 years, that's nothing. When I cleaned out my step-mom's fridge , freezer and pantry when I stayed with my dad after her accident, I found 10, 11, and even one 12 year expired things. Guess it's a good thing she never cooked much (and daddy didn't cook at all) cause who knows what might have happened to them if they had eaten some of that stuff. And I wasn't being nosy, knew I was going to be there for a long while and was trying to use what she had to make meals for me and my dad.

Since I know some of the rest of you have parents getting on up there, might be worth offering to clean out their fridge/pantry when you are visitng. I NEVER dreamed my step-mom would have not cleaned her pantry and fridge out from time to time. She kept an immaculate house and kept the fridge clean, just never bothered to check the expiration dates for some reason.

Old 04-18-2016, 01:19 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post
We did that right before we moved (so we wouldn't have to move the ice/frost build-up). Yet, we still managed to have a "do you know what this is?" moment yesterday when Craig was looking through the deep freeze. We've been trying NOT to stick things in the freezer without them being labeled but sometimes do.
When I am going to be wrapping a lot of meat for the freezer, I make sure I have everything I am going to be needing even before I take the first package out of the fridge. And that includes a Sharpie Marker. I also cut off the outside label and put it inside one of the pieces of meat. It gives me the date it was bought and what it is. That label is on one side of the freezer bag, and on the other side I write what it is and the date of wrapping and into the freezer. I have a magnetic holder on the fridge and keep several Sharpies in it. They never leave the kitchen. If a Sharpie runs dry, I make sure I put it on my grocery list. I know, they cost more at the grocery store, but it saves my sanity.

I place the Sharpie holder on the back of the counter where I am working along with the wrap and freezer bags. One package of meat comes out of the fridge, cut off the label, wrap, and place in freezer bag. Mark freezer bag. Put in freezer. I have it down to a science.

Sometimes the freezer is so full, and yet I still buy more meat, even though I don't need it. Can't pass by a really good sale. So I empty the freezer and place the new stuff at the back. The oldest stuff comes up front and gets used first.

After 60 years of keeping house, I have some hard and fast rules. Sharpies for the kitchen, stay in the kitchen. The manual can opener (in case of power outage) has it own drawer. The kitchen scissors have their own drawer and not to be confused with my sewing scissors. And lastly, you walk in the door with the house key in your hand and immediately put it where it belongs. Not a lot of rules, but they have helped me keep my sanity.
Old 04-18-2016, 01:44 PM   #14
Sous Chef

We just cleaned ours out yesterday, and found some mustard that expired last month.

A jar of cat whiskers doesn't expire, does it?
Old 04-18-2016, 02:00 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Don't you just hate that?? It's the law here that everything must be labeled in the freezer with my writing not his! If it's his writing, it's still a guessing game.
I'm going to have to pass that law here Recently, DH just wrote "Chicken" and the date on a freezer bag. Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference between thighs and breasts when they're frozen.

I keep several Sharpies, a pack of small Post-Its, pens and a roll of tape in a drawer in my peninsula for labeling. I tape the Post-Its to jars and plastic deli containers.
Old 04-18-2016, 02:01 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCatLady View Post
We just cleaned ours out yesterday, and found some mustard that expired last month.

A jar of cat whiskers doesn't expire, does it?
Collect enough and you can weave a blanket with them.
Old 04-18-2016, 02:47 PM   #17
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Collect enough and you can weave a blanket with them.
We were actually thinking more like cloning...but that's a good idea!
Old 04-18-2016, 03:39 PM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I'm going to have to pass that law here Recently, DH just wrote "Chicken" and the date on a freezer bag. Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference between thighs and breasts when they're frozen.
Another good reason to pass the law GG, along with 'bone in", or "boneless" chicken parts also.

Old 04-18-2016, 03:49 PM   #19
Master Chef

It's rare to find anything in the freezer unmarked, but I found a frozen baggie of something white. I was going to toss it out, but decided to defrost it just for kicks. After smelling it, I couldn't place the smell so I tasted the thick sweet sauce.
You guessed it...ice cream!

Old 04-18-2016, 05:31 PM   #20
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post
Hah! Only 5 years, that's nothing. When I cleaned out my step-mom's fridge , freezer and pantry when I stayed with my dad after her accident, I found 10, 11, and even one 12 year expired things. Guess it's a good thing she never cooked much (and daddy didn't cook at all) cause who knows what might have happened to them if they had eaten some of that stuff. And I wasn't being nosy, knew I was going to be there for a long while and was trying to use what she had to make meals for me and my dad.

Since I know some of the rest of you have parents getting on up there, might be worth offering to clean out their fridge/pantry when you are visitng. I NEVER dreamed my step-mom would have not cleaned her pantry and fridge out from time to time. She kept an immaculate house and kept the fridge clean, just never bothered to check the expiration dates for some reason.
Great suggestion!

My mother had low vision and was the same way. If mom could find an empty spot in the refrigerator or the pantry she just kept putting stuff in. She was amazed at how much easier her day to day routine was when she allowed me to do a purge and quick inspection on marketing day.