"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 04-18-2016, 09:14 PM   #21
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Great suggestion!

My mother had low vision and was the same way. If mom could find an empty spot in the refrigerator or the pantry she just kept putting stuff in. She was amazed at how much easier her day to day routine was when she allowed me to do a purge and quick inspection on marketing day.
Yep, she was the same way with medications. I found stuff that was up to 5 years old. Nobody else in the family wanted to throw it away because they were afraid she would get mad at them. She was/is really bad about self-medicating. Right before I left, I went through all the meds, put everything that was expired or she was no longer supposed to take in a big plastic baggie, gave it to the visiting nurse to dispose of, and told the rest of the family to blame it on me if they needed to because I wouldn't be there to "face the music." She never said a word to me when we talked on the phone afterward. I don't think she even missed it cause nobody else said anything to me either when we talked.

Old 04-18-2016, 11:03 PM   #22
Sous Chef

Due to using food stamps and having so little room to store things, usually everything I buy is eaten in the same month before I go shopping again. One of my friends worries because I let the cupboards, fridge, and freezer go down to empty before I shop. A bad habit I'm trying to get out of.

Having said that, I do check the mayo, ketchup, soy sauce, and other jars I have in the fridge from time to time. I buy small jars and I think most stuff gets eaten before it goes bad. Right now the only thing I have to worry about is the hamburger I have thawed in the fridge and the pizza I am eating. I'm going to finish the pizza tonight and fry up the hamburger when (if) it ever cools down tonight.

Old 04-18-2016, 11:11 PM   #23
Head Chef

Salad dressings for sure. I have about 5 of them and don't use them up before they're expired. I've started buying the 8 oz. Wishbone and Kraft salad dressing containers instead of the 16 oz. ones, altho, they don't come in all flavors, just the most popular ones.
Old 04-18-2016, 11:21 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Apparently I am a hoarder of jarred horseradish. Dug around and found a couple of jars in the back of the fridge. One still has the plastic strip on it, never opened, but also is a good 3 years past the expiration date.
Old 04-18-2016, 11:24 PM   #25
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Apparently I am a hoarder of jarred horseradish. Dug around and found a couple of jars in the back of the fridge. One still has the plastic strip on it, never opened, but also is a good 3 years past the expiration date.
Jarred horseradish, yes! I don't cook enough roasts per year to use up horseradish before it's past it's exp. date, which isn't that long to begin with (once opened). I've not really noticed any bad taste if I use it way past it's exp. date...it's so hot.
Old 04-18-2016, 11:27 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Expired stuff in your fridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
Jarred horseradish, yes! I don't cook enough roasts per year to use up horseradish before it's past it's exp. date, which isn't that long to begin with (once opened).

I put it up front. Since it's unopened, it's still good, right?

It keeps staring at me every time I open the fridge door.
Old 04-18-2016, 11:33 PM   #27
Master Chef

Actually, I'm pretty lax and just don't worry much about out of date condiments. I've never experienced any condiment that was unusable as long as refrigerated. Am I in danger and alone with this idea?

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 11:38 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Not at all, Kay. My ketchup, worchestershire sauce, and mustard are all past their prime (along with my horseradish) but I still use them, and we haven't died. Yet.
Old 04-19-2016, 01:39 AM   #29
Master Chef

Horseradish can loose potency really fast. Beaver brand lasts longer than any, from my experience. I got some horseradish powder from Penzey's and it's good to have on hand.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 01:52 AM   #30
Sous Chef

I really wish expiration dates on stuff wasn't in such tiny print. Hubby uses a Sharpie on salad dressings and other stuff indicating the expiration dates, and that helps a lot. So far that stuff he marked will die in 2017.

If they make such big barcodes on stuff, why can't they make the expiration dates bigger?

Mercy!