"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 04-19-2016, 02:00 AM   #31
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCatLady View Post
I really wish expiration dates on stuff wasn't in such tiny print. Hubby uses a Sharpie on salad dressings and other stuff indicating the expiration dates, and that helps a lot. So far that stuff he marked will die in 2017.

If they make such big barcodes on stuff, why can't they make the expiration dates bigger?

Mercy!
My point exactly. If expiration dates are so dang important on condiments, one would think the dates would be bigger if it's really a health concern, and not just a ploy to buy new ones. Hmmm

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 02:15 AM   #32
Master Chef

Jars and bottles have expiration dates? I mostly just use stuff until its gone. Since I'm still typing, I guess I'm still alive. I will admit that if something looks a little dicey, I do pitch it. I am pretty good about keeping up with perishables like meats and cheeses. Occasionally we'll find a clamshell of strawberries that have grown beards, or a cucumber or pepper that has a juicy spot under the skin. When we go to pick it up. Yuck. But I do try to be rather vigilant about using up stuff so I don't have to throw it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
...Recently, DH just wrote "Chicken" and the date on a freezer bag. Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference between thighs and breasts when they're frozen...
Meanwhile, Himself has been known to draw images of the contents rather than write it out in words. "Butt roast" was my favorite. I don't let him label freezer packages anymore...

Old 04-19-2016, 04:50 AM   #33
Head Chef

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Actually, I'm pretty lax and just don't worry much about out of date condiments. I've never experienced any condiment that was unusable as long as refrigerated. Am I in danger and alone with this idea?
I do this to a certain extent - after all there is a difference between a SELL by date and a USE by date (the latter being more important). However, I do notice a decline in its quality.
Old 04-19-2016, 11:46 AM   #34
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
Jarred horseradish, yes! I don't cook enough roasts per year to use up horseradish before it's past it's exp. date, which isn't that long to begin with (once opened). I've not really noticed any bad taste if I use it way past it's exp. date...it's so hot.
It's not only for roasts. Make your own cocktail sauce for seafood. All Recipes has a bunch of recipes and they all use horseradish. I love shrimp cocktail with a sauce that bites back.
Old 04-19-2016, 12:07 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
It's not only for roasts. Make your own cocktail sauce for seafood. All Recipes has a bunch of recipes and they all use horseradish. I love shrimp cocktail with a sauce that bites back.
+1. My husband mixes horseradish with mustard to make spicy mustard for sandwiches. Could also use it for a sauce on chicken or pork.
Old 04-19-2016, 12:10 PM   #36
Executive Chef

It adds an extra zing to scalloped potatoes.
Old 04-19-2016, 12:12 PM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Some folks use it in bloody Marys. I mainly use horseradish for shrimp cocktail sauce.
Old 04-19-2016, 02:49 PM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Not at all, Kay. My ketchup, worchestershire sauce, and mustard are all past their prime (along with my horseradish) but I still use them, and we haven't died. Yet.
As far as I am concerned, if it has vinegar as one of the ingredients, I just ignore the expiration date. Vinegar is a natural preserver. I do have admit that I really never look at the expiration date of fridge stuff. That is until I am looking for something I just know I have. Hmm.... Where is it? Then when I find it, it I at the very back of the fridge, on the bottom shelf where any spills drip down on it. Only when I am washing off the item, do I look at the expiration date. By then, even the ink the date was printed with has probably expired. I toss it. Five years or more? Yeh. Toss it. Forget the vinegar thingy.
Old 04-19-2016, 03:28 PM   #39
Senior Cook

Nice, we just did a purge of garage/pantry and refrigerator and t's so nice to see things gone we will never use up. The freezer is next but mall the steaks are going on the grill. My son just did the restaurant where he is chef and pissed the other chef off because he threw out all the old meat and things out of date. You can't feed that to high end customers. The owner was pleased.
Old 04-19-2016, 03:44 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
As far as I am concerned, if it has vinegar as one of the ingredients, I just ignore the expiration date. Vinegar is a natural preserver.
These items have to have a minimum amount of acidity in order for vinegar to act as a preservative. Sometimes it's just there for flavor. You can't necessarily tell just from the ingredient list whether it's enough.

These kinds of foods often have a use-by or best-by date rather than an expiration date. While they may be safe to eat, the flavor and/or texture may deteriorate.