"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-16-2016, 05:19 PM   #71
Head Chef

LOL cakepoet I have had yogurt grow a grey beard, plus many other things. Sour creme, creme fraiche, etc. But north American ypgurt is so process that no matter their hype I'm still not sure it is even good for us. You are lucky!

Old 08-16-2016, 05:25 PM   #72
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova View Post
That dry mix woulda been just fine I bet.

If the dry mix included a leavener such as baking powder, it would have expired and the biscuits would have been flat.

Old 08-16-2016, 05:27 PM   #73
Sous Chef

Well even with all this good food, I still cant eat store bought bread, my delicate stomach cant handle the added fibers..

Anyway I have now also found moldy marzipan, praline filling and something I have no clue what it was to start with. I got ill in May, so yeah I am bit behind on the kitchen. My husband promised to clean the fridge tomorrow. Thank god the freezer only have food for a month.
Old 08-16-2016, 07:30 PM   #74
Executive Chef

I have a system and it works great!!!

I keep a few permanent black markers in a kitchen drawer. When I unload my groceries I take most items and using a marker I write the month and year over the barcode. (That eliminates the decision of where to put it.)

For example, this month is August 2016 so I write 816 on every barcode, not only bottles etc. that go in the fridge but also canned and boxed goods that go in my pantry. In December I will be writing 1216.

I wanna know when I bought it even if it has a use-by stamp. I'm sometimes amazed at how old stuff is. Some stuff has no use-by stamp but I always have my "bought on" code.

Some items need no codes because I know I'll use them quickly (crackers, cereal) or they are easy to tell they are bad (milk).

Ya gotta admit it's a simple, easy to use system, and gives you the knowledge of how old it is so you can decide for yourself whether it's still good.
Old 08-16-2016, 08:56 PM   #75
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
I have a system and it works great!!!

I keep a few permanent black markers in a kitchen drawer. When I unload my groceries I take most items and using a marker I write the month and year over the barcode. (That eliminates the decision of where to put it.)...
Assume you buy an item that's very well dated, perhaps two years out. You write today's month and year on the jar/can and put it away. If you don't open that container for several months or even a year, doesn't your handwritten date become meaningless?

Theoretically, a year after you bought that item you could buy the same item again with the same sell by date but a different Greg date. Both jars would be equally viable but they'd have Greg dates a year apart. The only difference is where the unopened items sat for that year.
Old 08-16-2016, 11:39 PM   #76
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
If you don't open that container for several months or even a year, doesn't your handwritten date become meaningless?

Theoretically, a year after you bought that item you could buy the same item again with the same sell by date but a different Greg date.
Why would the date he has put on the pkg become meaningless? He will still know which one he bought first. Choice is still his as to which to use first.

And in the laws of probability and theoreticals, if he buys the same item a year later and it has the same sell by date as the first one - it is probably a car...

Or ... he should find another grocery store.
Old 08-16-2016, 11:48 PM   #77
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
Why would the date he has put on the pkg become meaningless? He will still know which one he bought first. Choice is still his as to which to use first.

And in the laws of probability and theoreticals, if he buys the same item a year later and it has the same sell by date as the first one - it is probably a car...

Or ... he should find another grocery store.

It's a hypothetical situation.
If the two items were purchased a year apart and had the same expiration, the date he bought them means nothing. Both items were created at the same time and carry the same exp. date. One was stored in greg's pantry and the other in a warehouse.

A more useful date would be the date it was opened.
Old 08-17-2016, 11:54 AM   #78
Head Chef

Quote:
A more useful date would be the date it was opened.
Yes, that makes good sense too.

But without getting into the hypotheticals and the myriad of possible mitigating circumstance... his dating idea works very well.

and I should really subscribe to it (actually both of them)
Old 08-17-2016, 02:42 PM   #79
Executive Chef

Quote:
Assume you buy an item that's very well dated, perhaps two years out. You write today's month and year on the jar/can and put it away. If you don't open that container for several months or even a year, doesn't your handwritten date become meaningless?

Theoretically, a year after you bought that item you could buy the same item again with the same sell by date but a different Greg date. Both jars would be equally viable but they'd have Greg dates a year apart. The only difference is where the unopened items sat for that year.
My point is that adding the date I bought it adds more information. I can decide at time of use which date to use.

Looking at it a different way, it's an implementation of a common stocking system called FIFO = first in, first out. You use what you bought first. Same reason I always reach to the back of the supermarket shelf when grabbing products. Many products are stocked by the clerk putting new stock at the back. FIFO!

I can think of many things in life where having more information is better. Worse comes to worse you can pick and choose which information you wish to base your decisions upon.

And lastly, some products have cryptic manufacturing information that may or may not have a sell-by or use-by date, particularly the many Asian products I buy due to my enthusiasm for Asian cooking. Some products are not even legal to sell in US until after the distributor has added a sticker with the nutritional etc. information on it.

The only date I don't want to know is my own expiration date! :)
Old 08-17-2016, 05:00 PM   #80
Certified Pretend Chef

FIFO only makes a difference if you're dealing with two item of different ages. If two items are the same age (expiration date) it doesn't matter which one you bought first or which one you brought home first

That said, whatever makes you happy.