Expired stuff in your fridge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Great suggestion!

My mother had low vision and was the same way. If mom could find an empty spot in the refrigerator or the pantry she just kept putting stuff in. She was amazed at how much easier her day to day routine was when she allowed me to do a purge and quick inspection on marketing day.

Yep, she was the same way with medications. I found stuff that was up to 5 years old. Nobody else in the family wanted to throw it away because they were afraid she would get mad at them. She was/is really bad about self-medicating. Right before I left, I went through all the meds, put everything that was expired or she was no longer supposed to take in a big plastic baggie, gave it to the visiting nurse to dispose of, and told the rest of the family to blame it on me if they needed to because I wouldn't be there to "face the music." She never said a word to me when we talked on the phone afterward. I don't think she even missed it cause nobody else said anything to me either when we talked.

Due to using food stamps and having so little room to store things, usually everything I buy is eaten in the same month before I go shopping again. One of my friends worries because I let the cupboards, fridge, and freezer go down to empty before I shop. A bad habit I'm trying to get out of.

Having said that, I do check the mayo, ketchup, soy sauce, and other jars I have in the fridge from time to time. I buy small jars and I think most stuff gets eaten before it goes bad. Right now the only thing I have to worry about is the hamburger I have thawed in the fridge and the pizza I am eating. I'm going to finish the pizza tonight and fry up the hamburger when (if) it ever cools down tonight.

Salad dressings for sure. I have about 5 of them and don't use them up before they're expired. I've started buying the 8 oz. Wishbone and Kraft salad dressing containers instead of the 16 oz. ones, altho, they don't come in all flavors, just the most popular ones.

Last edited:
Apparently I am a hoarder of jarred horseradish. Dug around and found a couple of jars in the back of the fridge. One still has the plastic strip on it, never opened, but also is a good 3 years past the expiration date.

Apparently I am a hoarder of jarred horseradish. Dug around and found a couple of jars in the back of the fridge. One still has the plastic strip on it, never opened, but also is a good 3 years past the expiration date.

Jarred horseradish, yes! I don't cook enough roasts per year to use up horseradish before it's past it's exp. date, which isn't that long to begin with (once opened). I've not really noticed any bad taste if I use it way past it's exp. date...it's so hot.

Last edited:
Jarred horseradish, yes! I don't cook enough roasts per year to use up horseradish before it's past it's exp. date, which isn't that long to begin with (once opened).

I put it up front. Since it's unopened, it's still good, right? :LOL:

It keeps staring at me every time I open the fridge door.

Last edited:
Actually, I'm pretty lax and just don't worry much about out of date condiments. I've never experienced any condiment that was unusable as long as refrigerated. Am I in danger and alone with this idea?

Not at all, Kay. My ketchup, worchestershire sauce, and mustard are all past their prime (along with my horseradish) but I still use them, and we haven't died. Yet.

Horseradish can loose potency really fast. Beaver brand lasts longer than any, from my experience. I got some horseradish powder from Penzey's and it's good to have on hand.

I really wish expiration dates on stuff wasn't in such tiny print. Hubby uses a Sharpie on salad dressings and other stuff indicating the expiration dates, and that helps a lot. So far that stuff he marked will die in 2017.

If they make such big barcodes on stuff, why can't they make the expiration dates bigger?

Mercy!

I really wish expiration dates on stuff wasn't in such tiny print. Hubby uses a Sharpie on salad dressings and other stuff indicating the expiration dates, and that helps a lot. So far that stuff he marked will die in 2017.

If they make such big barcodes on stuff, why can't they make the expiration dates bigger?

Mercy!

My point exactly. If expiration dates are so dang important on condiments, one would think the dates would be bigger if it's really a health concern, and not just a ploy to buy new ones. Hmmm:rolleyes:

Jars and bottles have expiration dates? :huh: I mostly just use stuff until its gone. Since I'm still typing, I guess I'm still alive. I will admit that if something looks a little dicey, I do pitch it. I am pretty good about keeping up with perishables like meats and cheeses. Occasionally we'll find a clamshell of strawberries that have grown beards, or a cucumber or pepper that has a juicy spot under the skin. When we go to pick it up. Yuck. But I do try to be rather vigilant about using up stuff so I don't have to throw it out.

...Recently, DH just wrote "Chicken" and the date on a freezer bag. Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference between thighs and breasts when they're frozen...
Meanwhile, Himself has been known to draw images of the contents rather than write it out in words. "Butt roast" was my favorite. I don't let him label freezer packages anymore...

Actually, I'm pretty lax and just don't worry much about out of date condiments. I've never experienced any condiment that was unusable as long as refrigerated. Am I in danger and alone with this idea?
I do this to a certain extent - after all there is a difference between a SELL by date and a USE by date (the latter being more important). However, I do notice a decline in its quality.

Jarred horseradish, yes! I don't cook enough roasts per year to use up horseradish before it's past it's exp. date, which isn't that long to begin with (once opened). I've not really noticed any bad taste if I use it way past it's exp. date...it's so hot.

It's not only for roasts. Make your own cocktail sauce for seafood. All Recipes has a bunch of recipes and they all use horseradish. I love shrimp cocktail with a sauce that bites back.

It's not only for roasts. Make your own cocktail sauce for seafood. All Recipes has a bunch of recipes and they all use horseradish. I love shrimp cocktail with a sauce that bites back.

+1. My husband mixes horseradish with mustard to make spicy mustard for sandwiches. Could also use it for a sauce on chicken or pork.

Some folks use it in bloody Marys. I mainly use horseradish for shrimp cocktail sauce.

Not at all, Kay. My ketchup, worchestershire sauce, and mustard are all past their prime (along with my horseradish) but I still use them, and we haven't died. Yet.

As far as I am concerned, if it has vinegar as one of the ingredients, I just ignore the expiration date. Vinegar is a natural preserver. I do have admit that I really never look at the expiration date of fridge stuff. That is until I am looking for something I just know I have. Hmm.... Where is it? Then when I find it, it I at the very back of the fridge, on the bottom shelf where any spills drip down on it. Only when I am washing off the item, do I look at the expiration date. By then, even the ink the date was printed with has probably expired. I toss it. Five years or more? Yeh. Toss it. Forget the vinegar thingy. :angel:

Nice, we just did a purge of garage/pantry and refrigerator and t's so nice to see things gone we will never use up. The freezer is next but mall the steaks are going on the grill. My son just did the restaurant where he is chef and pissed the other chef off because he threw out all the old meat and things out of date. You can't feed that to high end customers. The owner was pleased.

As far as I am concerned, if it has vinegar as one of the ingredients, I just ignore the expiration date. Vinegar is a natural preserver.

These items have to have a minimum amount of acidity in order for vinegar to act as a preservative. Sometimes it's just there for flavor. You can't necessarily tell just from the ingredient list whether it's enough.

These kinds of foods often have a use-by or best-by date rather than an expiration date. While they may be safe to eat, the flavor and/or texture may deteriorate.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom