Exploding eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pengyou

Senior Cook
I have read on a few posts that eggs can be hard cooked in the oven. I tried it today..and after about 20 minutes, some of the eggs exploded. Fortunately, the eggs were already cook. Is there some way to stop the exploding part? I think I was cooking at around 360 degree. If I lower the temperature will this be less likely to happen? I really like the idea of not having to use water to cook the eggs.

I have read on a few posts that eggs can be hard cooked in the oven. I tried it today..and after about 20 minutes, some of the eggs exploded. Fortunately, the eggs were already cook. Is there some way to stop the exploding part? I think I was cooking at around 360 degree. If I lower the temperature will this be less likely to happen? I really like the idea of not having to use water to cook the eggs.

You could try putting a pin hole in the blunt end of the egg to allow pressure to escape.

After much cogitation, I can't think of one reason why anyone would want to cook eggs in shell in the oven!

Boiling them in a saucepan is
a) quicker
and
b) cheaper

than baking them in the oven (and kinder to the nerves, too).

As a matter of interest what do you have against cooking them in water?

Just thought. You aren't confusing cooking eggs en cocotte in the oven with hard cooked eggs in shell, are you?

Eggs en cocotte are eggs removed from the shell and baked in individual ramekins with cream and various additions.

After much cogitation, I can't think of one reason why anyone would want to cook eggs in shell in the oven!

Boiling them in a saucepan is
a) quicker
and
b) cheaper

than baking them in the oven (and kinder to the nerves, too).

As a matter of interest what do you have against cooking them in water?
Mad, you beat me to it. I was wondering the same thing.

I'm thinking the same thing as Mad Cook and Rocket J Dawg. Why? What is the benefit of avoiding water to cook an egg in the shell? You would have to use some water to clean up the mess.

I'm thinking the same thing as Mad Cook and Rocket J Dawg. Why? What is the benefit of avoiding water to cook an egg in the shell? You would have to use some water to clean up the mess.
:LOL:

It might make sense if one were cooking something else in the oven at the same time.

Well I'll be darned. I couldn't figure out why in the world someone would want to do this so I googled it. Apparently it is quite common.
Baked Eggs : Alton Brown

Last edited:
I don't see the April Fool's connection to November 23, 2013. The most I've boiled for deviled eggs at one time is three dozen, 36 eggs. I boiled them on top of my Wolf stove in two big pots. The only extra time it took was the extra handling of so many eggs. I'll stick to stove top. I have no tips for oven baked, in the shell eggs.

Thanks! I was curious to try this because sometimes I have 2 things cooking on the stove - I only have a two burner, and if I could use the oven to cook eggs then I cook eggs in the oven while cooking the other two foods on the stove.

Thanks! I was curious to try this because sometimes I have 2 things cooking on the stove - I only have a two burner, and if I could use the oven to cook eggs then I cook eggs in the oven while cooking the other two foods on the stove.

Well, just prick the round end of the egg. Be careful you don't pierce the membrane inside the shell. That should solve your exploding eggs. :angel:

Oh I see this now. I was reading all this and I was very curious of why you would cook eggs in the oven! Now this makes very much sense, of course!

Some people in my former country also have only two burners on their stoves. I should have remembered this.

These eggs look very good here! I'm going to try this:

Baked Eggs (in a muffin tin) | The Finished Plate

With love,
~Cat

These eggs look very good here! I'm going to try this:

Baked Eggs (in a muffin tin) | The Finished Plate

With love,
~Cat

Thank you for sharing that! I never saw the point in cooking in-shell eggs in the oven either, but I have a full 4-burner stove. These, however, could really come in handy. I occasionally invite more people over to our little apartment than I probably should. Breakfast for dinner is a favorite for these gatherings, but I always end up making scrambled eggs because they're so much easier. This gives me another option for eggs for a crowd.

Back
Top Bottom