Extra large eggs??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nanaof11

Assistant Cook
I've made the same pound cake recipe for at least 20 years with no problem. The last one I made I had to use 6 extra large eggs instead of 6 large eggs. The result was disasterous. The finished texture was "lumpy" and the sides of the cake collapsed inward. Did the extra large eggs cause this?

Last edited:
Welcome to DC. Remember there is water in the white. By using XL eggs you have increased the water or liquid in your recipe. :angel:

It's hard to be precise. The rules for egg sizes designate a size as any weight greater than the lesser size but no more than the next size up. So, there could be a large egg weighing 64 grams and another large egg weighing 58 grams, a 6 gram difference, which is a bit more than 1/3 tbsp. And an XL egg could be only one gram heavier than the heaviest Large egg.

Size Mass per egg
Jumbo-----------------Greater than 2.5 oz. or 71 g
Very Large or XLarge---Greater than 2.25 oz. or 64 g
Large (L)--------------Greater than 2 oz. or 57 g
Medium (M)------------Greater than 1.75 oz. or 50 g
Small (S)--------------Greater than 1.5 oz. or 43 g
Peewee---------------Greater than 1.25 oz. or 35 g

This is one area where recipes cannot be as precise as when other ingredients are given by weight as the far more precise European recipes do. But even the European recipes gives eggs by number of eggs (sometime egg whites by weight).

Too make it worse, European egg size standards assign significantly heavier eggs to each size. So, three Large Euro eggs weight, at most, 219 grams, while three Large USA eggs can weight as much as 189 grams. That's 30 grams, or nearly two tbsp.

Size Mass per egg
Very Large--73 g and over
Large-------63-73 g
Medium-----53-63 g
Small-------53 g and under

http://curbstonevalley.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/eggsizes.jpg

A couple of my hens lay eggs that average 90-100 g. Which means those eggs exceed the average weight for a jumbo-sized egg. When I bake, I try to use eggs that weigh approximately the same. The other thing is that if you use farm-fresh eggs, you often can reduce the number of eggs. If six are required, five probably will be enough because the white has not evaporated so you do end up with more water than when using store-bought eggs. I am challenged when I need 2 small eggs. I usually will use one that weighs the equivalent of two small eggs. BTW, eggs are weighed in their shells for size selection you buy in the supermarket.

http://curbstonevalley.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/eggsizes.jpg

A couple of my hens lay eggs that average 90-100 g. Which means those eggs exceed the average weight for a jumbo-sized egg. When I bake, I try to use eggs that weigh approximately the same. The other thing is that if you use farm-fresh eggs, you often can reduce the number of eggs. If six are required, five probably will be enough because the white has not evaporated so you do end up with more water than when using store-bought eggs. I am challenged when I need 2 small eggs. I usually will use one that weighs the equivalent of two small eggs. BTW, eggs are weighed in their shells for size selection you buy in the supermarket.

Mrytle certainly is the queen of the egg layers. :wub: :flowers: Bless her big heart! :angel:

Absolutely! She makes sure the Big Chicken in the Big House gets all her eggs. She knows who feeds her all those special treats. :angel:
She loves Fridays because she gets special treats from the cooking extravaganza with the photographer--today the hens got all kinds of greens, fish skin (I know, I could have used that in stock--but the girls wanted it), silver skin from pork tenderloin...

She loves Fridays because she gets special treats from the cooking extravaganza with the photographer--today the hens got all kinds of greens, fish skin (I know, I could have used that in stock--but the girls wanted it), silver skin from pork tenderloin...

When I was a kid, I always wished I had been born a horse. I have always had a love affair with them. Now I am considering about the possibility of coming back as a chicken and becoming Mrytle's best friend. I would even lay those big eggs for The Big Chicken who lives in The Big House. :angel:

When I was a kid, I always wished I had been born a horse. I have always had a love affair with them. Now I am considering about the possibility of coming back as a chicken and becoming Mrytle's best friend. I would even lay those big eggs for The Big Chicken who lives in The Big House. :angel:
LOL! Friends have often said to me they want to come back as one of my dogs. My tenant is moving to Alberta to be with her BF, he told her to cuddle up with one of the dogs the other night, she told him the dogs were with me at the farm....he then said, "go get Myrtle." :LOL: Her response was that she never would have thought she'd consider cuddling with a chicken until she'd lived at my house and met the chickens. Like me (in the beginning of this adventure of having chickens), she thought chickens were two dimensional. Oh, no, real chickens have personalities, learn their names, and are as entertaining as dogs (and lay real eggs).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom