Failed: deep fried onion ring for the first time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You'll have to tell us EXACTLY what you did. Ingredients, recipe, oil temp, cooking vessel, time etc.

The picture doesn't help much.

Looks like you breaded them?
I have had much better luck with a batter. Like beer batter.

3/4 cup AP flour.
1/4 cup corn starch.
1/2 tsp baking powder.
3/4 cup beer.

Allow beer to come to room temp. Open the beer first.
Mix all together with a whisk until smooth.
Allow to sit at room temp for 30 minutes.

Dip onion sliced rings into batter and deep fry until golden brown.

You'll have to tell us EXACTLY what you did. Ingredients, recipe, oil temp, cooking vessel, time etc.

The picture doesn't help much.

Ingredient I used

1.Flour
2.Eggs
3.Bread crumbs
4.Oil

Steps I performed

Mix the cut onion well with flour and then stirred eggs and then bread crumbs, after all done, put into the hot oil for few minutes

3/4 cup AP flour.
1/4 cup corn starch.
1/2 tsp baking powder.
3/4 cup beer.

Can I use other flour, instead of AP flour? Is it very improtant?

I've got lots of flour ready but I don't know if they are AP. I don't want to waste them

3/4 cup AP flour.
1/4 cup corn starch.
1/2 tsp baking powder.
3/4 cup beer.

Is there anyway to do it without baking powder and corn starch??
because I want to avoid using ingredients that cannot be used up in short time, I want to avoid storage because I don't often cook.

Are you worried things will go stale? or do you just not have enough space to store. Neither Corn Starch nor Baking Powder will go stale before you are likely to use them again. You could also buy them in very small quantities at Bulk Barn or some such place.

I agree with CakePoet, oil was probably not hot enough. Did you use a thermometer or just guess? I've been cooking for a LONG time, know my stove and pans, and I can guess for simple small food items that I've made multiple times, but that comes with lots of experience. I still use a thermometer for larger pieces or things that are new to me.

Failed again for the 3rd time of deep frying onion rings

It's the third 3rd time ever I tried to deep fry onion rings. Still failed. I feel so frustrated.

Ingredients: Flour, Eggs, Milk, Bread crumbers, cooking oil

I followed exactly this tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33cAqNLcYjc&t=18s

Steps highlight
1. eggs mixed with some flour, milk, salt and used as the "sticking agent"

2. mix the cut onion rings with the sticking agent and then with flour and then again with the sticking agent.

3. mix it with the bread crumbers and then put into oil for few minutes

In fact, I've decided to give it up and never deep fried again

Reasons and problems of deep frying I've encountered

1. Look easy but practically VERY messy dealing with the flour, eggs mixture etc, no matter how careful and sophisticated you are.

2. The smell of burning oil during deep frying is very unpleasant and I believe it's very unhealthy to health. I've turned on my kitchen ventilator to the maximum but it still took long time for the smell to go

3. The product is still very oily even after I've already used the paper tissue to filter the oil

4. It's really a big waste of oil. If you re-use the oil it has to be used again in short time or it will be oxidized. Re-used oil is also bad to health and smell even worse

5. Unhealthy no matter what.

That could be a reason things don't work out. Keep cooking..you will get better results as you progress...like anything else, you have to work at it...

Unfortunately I've decided to give up deep frying. Fortunately, I will keep up learning cooking and discovering new recipes

I've posted a reply about my 3rd failure of deep frying onion rings tonight, but I can';t see it show up

What was the temperature of your oil?

What kind of pot or pan did you use?

I did not measure the exact temperature because different tutorials suggest different temperatures, some said 140 d.c. some said 180 d.c. Some never mentioned.

However, I kept the fire low once the oil was heated up

I did not measure the exact temperature because different tutorials suggest different temperatures, some said 140 d.c. some said 180 d.c. Some never mentioned.

However, I kept the fire low once the oil was heated up

AND THAT'S YOUR PROBLEM! Myself, CakePoet, and now Jennyema have all mentioned the oil. You can't just heat it up, turn the fire to low and hope for the best.

Oily food - too low of a temp.

Coating falling off - again, too low oil temp, though other issues could also be the cause.

Not browning - too low of a temp.

If you are going to reuse the oil, no more than once or twice more, filter in between and STORE IN THE FRIDGE. We've kept it for weeks that way.

There is always going to be a smell when you deep fry. That doesn't mean the oil is "burning." It's just a fact of life. If you use a thermometer, you won't burn it anyway.

Deep frying, if done correctly, is no more unhealthy than pan frying. It's just when you don't fry at high enough temps and reuse the oil too often.

You NEED to use a thermometer and check it for correct temp the entire time you are frying (i.e. leave the thermometer in the pan). You don't have enough experience to deep fry without one. You can't just hope for the best, especially when starting out. All that will do is cause poor results and frustration.

BTW, onion rings should be fried at 365-375 F (185-190 C).

Last edited:
Can I use other flour, instead of AP flour? Is it very improtant?

I've got lots of flour ready but I don't know if they are AP. I don't want to waste them

AP flour is all purpose flour.

Is there anyway to do it without baking powder and corn starch??
because I want to avoid using ingredients that cannot be used up in short time, I want to avoid storage because I don't often cook.

No, those two ingredients are quite important. Both ingredients can be purchased in small containers.

Use a batter, don't bread onion rings.

I'll pile on here. A thermometer is essential.

Unless you use a fryer that has its own temperature control.
I also don't use a thermometer when I make other fried foods. I always just drop one piece in at first to see.

QQ%3F%3F20161213222239.jpg

Do you see in your picture where the onion ring, is open, has separated, letting in the oil into the onion flesh, breaking up the crust? The onion ring itself has two layers, one of flesh and one a skin. The skin shrinks at a different rate than the flesh, pushing/pulling it apart. Freezing them, removing the skin off each ring, will help.

There is a good recipe and tutorial about onions and the science of onion rings on serious eats: The Food Lab's Foolproof Onion Rings Recipe | Serious Eats

Whether you batter them, or bread them, the heat of the oil needs to be 350-375 degrees F. Why not give it a try? If you try any of these methods, let us know how it went for you. Loved your pictures.

My personal preference on oil for frying. I use it once, then put it in a jar, when I need to fry again, I pour off the clear oil and leave any brown bits in the jar and dispose of them. I can do this 2-3 times, and then I toss the old oil. If the oil has been overheated (400 degrees F+) then it needs to be tossed as well. Oil does keep better refrigerated than at room temperature. If I ever fry hot peppers, or jalapenos, I don't reuse the oil, because the hot peppers flavor the oil and make it hot flavored.

Unless you use a fryer that has its own temperature control.
I also don't use a thermometer when I make other fried foods. I always just drop one piece in at first to see.

That is experience talking. New cooks...a thermometer is essential so they can gain the experience you have.

Back
Top Bottom