Fake Fettuccine Alfredo - how to make more exciting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mischief Managed

Assistant Cook
I am putting together a quick dish of fettuccine alfredo tonight. I will be using normal speghetti noodles and ragu alfredo sauce. (It is lazy dinner tonight and I am using what I got!)
I was thinking that adding strips of chicken would be a nice thing to add. Is there anything else I could add? Bacon, corn? (<--Pregnancy brain atm :ROFLMAO:)

I wouldn't add bacon... too powerful a flavor for this dish, but definitely your chicken, and if you have any mushrooms, sweet peas, or even a little unbreaded fish or seafood.

ooh i've added bacon, chicken and mushrooms and yes it's a little rich, but adds nice flavor.

I've added bacon, mushroom and both together. If you like the taste, go for it. Of course, somewhere along the way, it stops being Alfredo sauce.

Yep, same here. Just make sure you cook the bacon separately, dry and crumble, then add back in. Otherwise your sauce will become greasy.
And corn is alright, but broccoli in this would rule :punk:

I like to add chicken, mushrooms, spinach and onions to mine. I have made it with broccoli, another fave, and bacon. I have also mixed it with carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, and onions for a past premevera style dish.

Not to be a spoil sport, here, but I like my Alfredo straight up. I would make things more exciting by serving it with some kind of side dish, like broiled shrimp, or some kind of scallopini. Maybe some brucceta? Oh, and lots of ice cold white wine, naturally caronated mineral water, lemon....mmmmm .I think I know what I am having for supper tomorrow night.

Last edited:
If you are using jarred sauce, grate some extra Parmesan into it.

You took the words right out of my mouth. I was so disappointed in the jarred sauce. It's much improved with Parmesan.

Easy Faux Alfredo:

8 oz. cream cheese
3/4 C milk
3/4 C grated Parmesan

Melt and stir together over low heat.

It tastes much richer than jarred and it's so easy.:chef:

You took the words right out of my mouth. I was so disappointed in the jarred sauce. It's much improved with Parmesan.

Easy Faux Alfredo:

8 oz. cream cheese
3/4 C milk
3/4 C grated Parmesan

Regular Alfredo is so easy. I you can make it from a jar, you can make it from scratch. It is that easy. That said, I sometimes like it from a jar :ermm:

Frozen shrimp, dried mushrooms, and good parm or reg are staples in my kitchen. I also have used a touch of sherry and/or cinnamon in cream sauces with good results.
I also make a quick pseudo alfredo with heavy cream, lots of grated cheese, garlic, pepper, a touch of sherry and freshly ground cinnamon. The sauce can be made in less time than it takes to cook the pasta. Shrimp, once peeled, can be quickly cooked in the sauce, boiled, or sauteed. Any available meat or vegetables, except starches, can be added or in lieu of the shrimp.

Dried mushrooms require more planning since they require at least an hour of reconstituting, more is better. I have ground dried mushrooms for the flavor and as a thickener with good results. No soaking necessary.

IMO, any, or all of these would work well with store bought alfredo.

Easy Faux Alfredo:

8 oz. cream cheese
3/4 C milk
3/4 C grated Parmesan

That's close to what I do. I whisk the cream cheese into melted butter. Then add the milk, cheese, seasonings...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom