Fake Foods we Love

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sprout

Sous Chef
The food blasphemies thread got me thinking about this a while ago. As an adult, many of the processed foods I loved as a kid taste terrible to me now. Usually my complaint is that they are way too salty or just taste too fake. There are a couple that, for reasons far beyond my understanding, still taste good to me. I have a few foods that only taste good around certain people, or on a specific holiday because we traditionally ate them then, but that's more about nostalgia then taste. I'm not talking about those. I'm talking about foods that I could eat fairly regularly if they weren't so unhealthy. Mine:

Corn Dogs
Ramen noodle/cup noodles (though I usually add more water and don't drink all the broth or only use part of the seasoning packet)
Tangy Taffy (also occasionally called Laffy Taffy, but I'm talking about the candy-bar sized ones, not the little bite-sized ones. they taste completely different)

What fake, barely-considered-food concoctions do you still inexplicably like?

The food blasphemies thread got me thinking about this a while ago. As an adult, many of the processed foods I loved as a kid taste terrible to me now. Usually my complaint is that they are way too salty or just taste too fake. There are a couple that, for reasons far beyond my understanding, still taste good to me. I have a few foods that only taste good around certain people, or on a specific holiday because we traditionally ate them then, but that's more about nostalgia then taste. I'm not talking about those. I'm talking about foods that I could eat fairly regularly if they weren't so unhealthy. Mine:

Corn Dogs
Ramen noodle/cup noodles (though I usually add more water and don't drink all the broth or only use part of the seasoning packet)
Tangy Taffy (also occasionally called Laffy Taffy, but I'm talking about the candy-bar sized ones, not the little bite-sized ones. they taste completely different)

What fake, barely-considered-food concoctions do you still inexplicably like?

What is wrong with Corn Dogs? Hot Dogs are food, Corn Bread is food.:chef:

Oh My! There are so many!

Chef Boy R Dee Beef Raviolis, Top Ramen, Vienna Sausages, Easy Cheese...

I don't know how widespread they were, but back in WA state I used to love the billboards for AM PM convenience stores that said "A corndog is a hotdog in a tasty sweater."

I don't know how widespread they were, but back in WA state I used to love the billboards for AM PM convenience stores that said "A corndog is a hotdog in a tasty sweater."

I like that.:chef:

I can't think of any. As a kid, I refused to eat KD and Twinkies. This was at camp or other people's homes. My mum never bought them.

I'm not sure I understand your definition of "fake".
Something popular at fairs? Something packaged for convenience? Something that needs preservatives added for shelf life? Something not known for its nutritional value? How about a food item that you feel guilty eating? Is that fake food? Like if you buy into the commercials and eat a Snickers bar instead of a real lunch, is the Snickers fake food? But what if a candy bar for lunch is your normal lunch??? lol

I still like Kraft mac-n-cheese. Don't get me wrong, I PREFER made from scratch with multiple cheeses but I'll eat a bowel of Kraft MAC for lunch or if Craig's gone sometimes for dinner.

I like the Ramen noodles too still, though the MSG or something else in them causes migraines now.

Vienna Sausages (Can't put my finger on it.)
Vanilla Wafers (They did something unknown.)
McDonald's French Fries (They no longer use coconut oil in the oil blend.)
Peter Pan Peanut Butter (They cut out some of the sugar.)

Last edited:
I would not say I love it, but something I like which I know others think is horrible is Cool Whip. I love real whipped cream and do not see the two as the same thing at all, but I do like the taste of Cool Whip. I even like putting it in the freezer and eating it with a spoon.

For the one time a year I eat pie, Cool Whip suits me fine. The last time I bought it I had to get the canned stuff. It just wasn't the same as the tub.

I would not say I love it, but something I like which I know others think is horrible is Cool Whip. I love real whipped cream and do not see the two as the same thing at all, but I do like the taste of Cool Whip. I even like putting it in the freezer and eating it with a spoon.

I remember a comedy bit from decades ago in which George Carlin was playing the part of a food factory foreman going through a list of ingredients with a factory worker and trying to figure out what it was making. He made jokes about each ingredient as it was added to the pot and when it was all done he threw his hands up and said, "Make it white and call it Cool Whip".

None come to mind right away as I was junk food deprived as a child.

However, I eat hot dogs about once a week and feel no guilt. I have my deep fryer out now so I think I'll make some corn dogs. That'll be a first.

I eat ramen noodles too. Except I use half the water (1 Cup) and eat it as a noodle dish.

I could never stomach Chef Boy-ar-dee but my kids loved it.

I don't consider any of them blasphemous.

I had some Spaghetti Os last year. Bought a can out of the blue because someone mentioned them. They were just like I remembered them. Kind of mushy, but certainly edible.
A lot of people call the food out of their past comfort food. I wouldn't go that far :LOL:

Oh boy could we get a fight brewing in this thread. I like all kinds of fake foods. AND...I use them all the time. LOL! I'm like GB, just because I like something real doesn't mean I don't still love the crap food too. LOL!

Short list:

KD
Cheez Whiz
Kraft Singles
Velveeta (Mmmmm...mixed with salsa for chips!!!)
Mini Ravioli
Ramen

Oh the list goes on. I am seeing a theme though...Kraft is my friend. Please note, I did NOT mention their parmesan cheese...oops! :angel: *running and hiding*

Okay, I thought of something. I don't love them, seldom buy them, but will definitely munch them at a party: any kind of cheesy poofs.

Oh boy could we get a fight brewing in this thread. I like all kinds of fake foods. AND...I use them all the time. LOL! I'm like GB, just because I like something real doesn't mean I don't still love the crap food too. LOL!

Short list:

KD
Cheez Whiz
Kraft Singles
Velveeta (Mmmmm...mixed with salsa for chips!!!)
Mini Ravioli
Ramen

Oh the list goes on. I am seeing a theme though...Kraft is my friend. Please note, I did NOT mention their parmesan cheese...oops! :angel: *running and hiding*

What is KD?

Back
Top Bottom