Falafel texture

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamoehope

Assistant Cook
Hello,

I made falafels although the question I have has to do with making falafels, meatballs, and patties in general. How do you know when the texture of the meatball is right? When you have enough bread crumbs in the mixture? My falafels came out OK because I baked them. I think if I had fried them they would have fallen apart like many of my meatballs in the past.

Thanks.

To simplify my rambling post: how do you know what texture you need for your meatballs/falafels/patties to stay together when you fry them?

Thanks.

Good question. I have had that problem too. I have had the best luck with meatballs that had dry bread crumbs that were soaked in just enough stock to soften them.

The best way to know is just by experimenting and failing and then doing it some more and eventually getting it right. I know what you are going through. My first attempt at making falafel was a major failure because I did not get the texture right. Mine turned out too loose and fell apart in the oil. They turned to mush and smoked up my house in a major way.

This is a picture that I took of the room after it has aired out with all the windows and doors open for about 30 minutes :LOL:. Now I just buy the premade falafel mix and just add water. They are so much easier to make and they taste great.

Attachments

• SmokyRoom01-vi.jpg
    SmokyRoom01-vi.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 282
GB: OMG! That happened to me when I tried to make chicken scallopine and I pan fried the chicken. Another question for anther time.

taxlady: Thanks for the tip on soaking the bread. I did a minute amount of research and found some of the advice goes along with what you said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/06/dining/06lees.html?pagewanted=2

"On the vital issue of meatball texture, all the chefs we interviewed had good tips and pointers, most of which spoke to the same issue: water. For Mr. Campanaro, the key is simple. “Just like in Italian sausage, the filling is very wet when it goes into the casing,” he said. “So when it cooks, it’s juicy. That liquid that comes out when you cut it? That’s pork stock!” ....

But in his meatballs, the liquid in the mixture comes from store-bought bread that is soaked in milk. Mr. Psilakis recommends refrigerating the meatball mixture to make rolling the balls easier.

“Most people are afraid when it’s sticky,” Mr. Psilakis said. “They shouldn’t be. The mixture that’s going to get you that light, airy texture is going to be a wet, tacky substance that’s not so easy to roll.” He recommends a light dusting of flour on your hands, and just a gentle once or twice around in your palms — no kneading — as well as frequent washing of hands and redusting with flour."

jamehope, I read that about putting flour on your hands, but I find that it's easier if I wet my hands to roll the meatballs.

So I tried rolling the falafels balls in bread crumbs and then frying them. They had good texture but they were not cooking through. After I browned them I ended up baking them ALSO. Guess that making falafel balls to fry only works in a deep fryer or in a certain pan?

Back
Top Bottom