Fat Sauce - keeping the good stuff!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Janet H

Certifiable Executive Chef
Staff member
I made a carrot cake yesterday for a friends b-day bash and the recipe includes a call to soak the cake rounds with a buttermilk glaze that is a dead ringer for my moms Fat Sauce recipe - amazing stuff.

The recipe made a lot more than I needed for the cake and so there is some left - it is so amazingly good and I'm wondering if it can be frozen. What do you think?

Here's the recipe:

FAT Sauce

1 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup butter
1 tablespoon light corn syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preparation Bring first 5 ingredients to a boil in a large heavy sauce pan over medium-high heat. Boil, stirring often, 4 minutes until the color changes to a rich golden brown. Remove from heat, and stir in vanilla.

My mom used to pour this over ice cream or sometimes bread pudding or french toast or seared fruit - it's a rich buttery caramel-like sauce and incredibly delicious.

What do you think - how will it keep?

Because of the buttermilk I'd label that gem freeze it into smaller portions.

I think you could freeze it, similar to freezing sweetened condensed milk.

It may not freeze solid and may need to be whisked or mixed in the blender when it thaws.

It sounds like it would be a nice sauce to serve with a warm slice of unfrosted carrot cake, banana cake or applesauce cake, on a cold winter night! :yum:

Last edited:
Circling back on this... how to store is no longer an issue. I can report that this is absolutely great on:

plain yogurt
raisin toast
Fresh apple slices
a spoon
my finger
oatmeal

;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom