Fav Fish Stew

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bolas De Fraile

Executive Chef
Mine is very simple, sweat onions and garlic plus cubes of waxy potatoes in a pan, add enough white wine to cover the simmer till the pots are nearly done, sit any thick white fish steaks on top, put a cartouche on top and simmer till fish is done.

What is your favorite recipe.

Last edited:
My fav Fish Stew is:

Cioppino
Alaskan Cod, Scallops, Mussels, and Shrimp
in a sauce that contains crushed and diced
tomatoes, water, burgundy wine, onions,
clams w/clam juice, olive oil, celery, mushrooms, garlic,
and green bell peppers.

Cullen Skink, or maybe a hotchpotch of various fish to which I would add haricot beans, various veg including potatoes, add some parmesan and turn it into a form of pistou.

My favourite ? Now that would be stuffed tomatoes containing crumbled feta and ground beef.

My fav Fish Stew is:

Cioppino
Alaskan Cod, Scallops, Mussels, and Shrimp
in a sauce that contains crushed and diced
tomatoes, water, burgundy wine, onions,
clams w/clam juice, olive oil, celery, mushrooms, garlic,
and green bell peppers.

Also my favorite...but I live with someone who doesn't like it. Haven't had it in a long time

Another vote for ciopinno. Manhattan chowder comes a close second, but that gets us into an unnecessary discussion of definition about stew vs. soup and fish vs. seafood. I'm impressed with, and will devour, any "stew" with fish meat that has not disintegrated. What are the best fish for stewing? Cod holds up better than most; can anyone suggest others?

PS. mollyanne & 4meandthen have clever new nicks (that appear to have been matching costumes at a Halloween party!)

Last edited:
Cullen Skink, or maybe a hotchpotch of various fish to which I would add haricot beans, various veg including potatoes, add some parmesan and turn it into a form of pistou.

My favourite ? Now that would be stuffed tomatoes containing crumbled feta and ground beef.

I had to google Cullen Skink to find out what it is.
It sounds great!
A smoked haddock chowder.

Cullen Skink - Smoked Haddock Chowder Recipe

So comforting is Cullen Skink. Especially on cold days when the wind is blowing shrill and hard, rain lashing the windows and the fire is lit and there's this bowl of lovely smokey fishy soup, a crust of bread and mmmm, this is the food that I like. I'll make a lot so to have it again. And again. Sometimes two large bowls.

That sounds heavenly, poppi. I never heard of "cullen skink" before either. I love this forum :heart:

Last edited by a moderator:
Another vote for ciopinno. Manhattan chowder comes a close second, but that gets us into an unnecessary discussion of definition about stew vs. soup and fish vs. seafood. I'm impressed with, and will devour, any "stew" with fish meat that has not disintegrated. What are the best fish for stewing?
Scorfano, its a fish from the Med, Italians will pay a fortune for it, Monk Fish, Gurnard, Rascasse.

for me, it's a close race between new england and manhattan clam chowders. bouillabaisse is a close third.

i make a pretty good manhattan clam chowder, but i've had some amazing new england style clam chowders made with fresh local cream and milk when in vermont.

Last edited:
Yesterday my fiancee and I had a bowl of Seafood Chowder that was amazing! It was a cream based chowder with shrimp, scallops and fish. We had also ordered an appetizer platter with alligator tail, coconut shrimp and clams that was also very good, but the next time we go, we'll bypass the appetizers and most likely order a second bowl of the chowder!

We ate at The Outback Steak and Oyster Bar of Branson, Missouri (an independent restaurant - NOT part of the Outback Steakhouse national chain).

Back
Top Bottom