"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-10-2011, 02:50 PM   #21
Head Chef

I don't have strong opinions either way. Whether it's franchise or corporate, their natural evolution is toward meh. I will however patronize some small, local, private chains.

I used to like Pizza Hut. And then Pepsico bought it. They cashed in big time on its real estate value. And made it into gross fast food, leasing floor space inside Target stores or combining it into their other chains. If I see a rare, free-standing Pizza Hut on a road trip, it's usually still a pretty good chain meal experience for me.

Old 03-10-2011, 04:13 PM   #22
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
My favorites are Outback Steakhouse and Subway. They have a large selection of low carb menu choices.

My least favorite is Chili's (never again!!), and Denny's (Too much sugar, Too much fat, Too much salt!)
I just read an article where Subway has become the largest chain restaurant in the world. It moved ahead of McDonalds. Subway Passes McDonald's To Become The World's Largest Restaurant Chain

Old 03-10-2011, 04:23 PM   #23
Executive Chef

It's not the largest in income, but it now has more worldwide store locations than Mickey D's.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:24 PM   #24
Master Chef

Site Moderator

About the only place I won't go into is the Bob Evans down here. The food has always been okay, nothing spectacular, but the service has always been bad and they were just plain rude the last time we where there (2004 I think).

I like Olive Garden and Cheeseburger in Paradise and they usually are able to accommodate SO's wheelchair so if we go out that is where we go. We get take out from 5 Guys, Apple-bee's, Lone Star, and Ruby Tuesday's. Not exceptional food but okay. Some of the local takeout places are good too.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:40 PM   #25
Flour Child

These 2 are fast food chains...do they count as restaurants?...sorry, I lost focus (scroll down for favorite restaurant):

Chipotle Grill is clean, delicious, fresh natural ingredients, friendly service...oh yeah, you serve yourself (not wonder i think it's friendly lol), and you can get 3 huge Carnitas Tacos (juicy grilled pork) for only $6. I can't even eat it all. You pick your own toppings and I always throw good sense to the wind and load it up with black beans, pinto beans, shredded mexican cheese, sour cream, guacamole, fresh mild chunky salsa and lettuce. You can also pick steak, chicken, or vegetarian, grilled bell peppers&onions, rice, chili peppers, corn salsa, etc etc.

When I HAVE to go to the mall...I search the food court for a Sbarros and order the Chicken Vesuvio...tender chicken breasts smothered in a lemon and mushroom sauce that is soooo tasty...also $6

I dislike ALL other fast food chains

Favorite Restaurant Chain is Bone Fish Grill...atmosphere is nice and everything is always delicious. Service is fast fun and friendly....and even more fun if you order a specialty martini called Hypnotiq that glows blue in the dark.

Least favorite...I echo everyone's previous posts on that with one exception. Our Maggianos is excellent.

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 05:57 PM   #26
Senior Cook

Favorite-i love the Olive Garden. I'll eat at Applebees once in a while. Love Chevy's and their greasy chips and Extreme Pizza is pretty darn yummy.
Least favorite-Fresh Choice, Carl's Jr, BJ's bleh-the worst service and the only thing good on the menu is those cookie icecream things..Sbarros. I do not like Subway, bleh...
Old 03-11-2011, 03:26 AM   #27
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
It's not the largest in income, but it now has more worldwide store locations than Mickey D's.
you are correct mate, I read a 1 page article in the Guardian about it, I tried a sandwich when the opened in the UK, we have a lot of cxxp bread over here but nothing to compare with that it was offal(pun intended) the filling was ok, is it the same bread in the US? the plastic and processed geezer who served me said it was.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:24 AM   #28
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
...is it the same bread in the US? the plastic and processed geezer who served me said it was.
Soft, almost mushy, no flavor, no chewy crust, no substance... yep, that's it!
Old 03-11-2011, 08:08 AM   #29
Assistant Cook

My favorite is Bahama Breeze.
Least favorite is TGIF
Old 03-11-2011, 08:22 AM   #30
Executive Chef

Foodie, if you are in SE Florida, you should check out Michelle Bersteins show "Check Please". It airs on PBS and features local restaurants that her guests try and then critique. Might give you some alternatives to the chains.

Craig