"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-11-2011, 08:49 AM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I'm not a big fan of chain restaurants. There are little chains here that are pretty good. I live in the 'burbs, so we usually go to those or non-chains when going out locally. In Montreal, there is so much choice that even local chains get ruled out unless it's someone's birthday or something and someone chose that as the venue.

I like Jack Astor's, a small (less than 100 restaurants) Canadian chain with one restaurant in Buffalo, NY and one in Cary, NC. This is a fun, loud restaurant with tasty food and good service. They use brown paper as a table cloth and put a jar of crayons on the table. Great place for a party.

Haven't eaten at McD since the early '80s; haven't even gotten a coffee there since the early '90s. For coffee I would rather go to Second Cup or Tim Horton's (both are Canadian chains). I happily eat doughnuts at Timmy's, but the other food doesn't look appealing, so I haven't tried it. The food at Second Cup is okay. I try to avoid Starbucks - I don't like their coffee, but occasionally have little or no other choice on a road trip.

If I want a fast food hamburger, I go to Harvey's, another Canadian chain. They grill the burgers in front of you and load up your burger with your choice of lettuce, tomato, pickles, hot peppers, onions, (green peppers?), and condiments. If you ask for extra, they are happy put it on your burger. I'm still trying to convince them to get whole wheat buns

Least favourite chain: probably Scores, another Canadian chain. Yuck.

Old 03-11-2011, 09:10 AM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I absolutely HATE Subway. Their ads are nothing at all like the skimpy c**p you actually get. I thought that was illegal.

I don't really like any chains, McD's does have great biscuits, and I really enjoyed their McGriddle sausage sandwiches, as I've always loved the taste of pancakes, syrup and sausage together. Theirs is a perfect blend of those flavors, at least for me.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 09:38 AM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Love that Chicken from Popeyes.....biscuits too.

Will not, under any circumstances eat at McDonald's ......Period.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 01:03 PM   #34
Flour Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I like Jack Astor's, a small (less than 100 restaurants) Canadian chain with one restaurant in Buffalo, NY and one in Cary, NC. This is a fun, loud restaurant with tasty food and good service. They use brown paper as a table cloth and put a jar of crayons on the table. Great place for a party.
Hey, I live in Cary, NC!! I only vaguely remember seeing that somewhere, I think (then again, i'm not very observant). My birthday is coming up and I'm suppose to choose where to go for lunch...maybe I'll pick that! I love to color

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 01:53 PM   #35
Certified Pretend Chef

Living in suburban Massachusetts, there are not a lot of choices for fried chicken. As a result, I really enjoy an occasional meal of KFC Extra crispy chicken.
Old 03-12-2011, 03:56 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

my favorite is carls jr. for burgers. olive garden for light lunch. i don't care for mcdonalds any more. years ago they had a healthy burger. loved it. of course they quit offering it. guess not enough people ordered. i was made just like a homemade burger. don't ever go out for dinner these days, to expensive. for a break will order garlic chicken pizza from round table. also expensive but only treat myself off and on. a small will feed me for three meals. they have super wings as well.
Old 03-12-2011, 04:00 PM   #37
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post

When I was traveling to the Toronto area frequently the office always made sure to take me to Jack Astor's at least once every visit. There was always a fight for the last of the pan bread. (ok, not always, sometimes more was ordered)
Old 03-12-2011, 04:05 PM   #38
Master Chef

Love 5 Guys for burgers, Olive Garden for lunches, Ruby Tuesdays. Local favorites are Hot Dog King and Crab Shack.

Can't stand Chili's, Will tolerate Applebee's. Buffalo Wild Wings is out not because of bad food but because it is just too loud with all the TV sports blaring.
Old 03-12-2011, 04:59 PM   #39
Master Chef

Many, if not most, of the ones mentioned, I've never heard of, and we were on the road for most of our (going on 30 years) relationship.

I really disliked Longhorn (went once, the service was so bad we had a drink and left, so have no idea what the food is like). Outback? I guess it says it is pretty good that I've never been ... because I don't stand in line for food. Too many years and and with the military. If you don't take reservations, I'm not going to spend a half hour out in the parking lot hoping I can get in. No steak is worth that. Although I've liked some of the food I've eaten at Red Lobsters around the country, most have been very noisy and ... cold. And I'm usually hot anywhere I go. But sometimes they were so cold that my food arrived from the kitchen cold. Carlos O'Kelly? Have they never heard of cumin?

I confess to liking Applebee's for lunch. I like that you can order half orders and walk out with a decent tasting meal that you can actually finish and not break the bank; most I've been to make attempts to use local sports teams and such for decor. The ones around here don't do brunch, but in Florida they did one that was really good. HuHot Mongolian Barbecue is my favorite for lunch at the mall and for bringing complaining, fussy guests. Hey, you choose it, you don't like it go back for something different.

there are two regional chains I like and will get back to when I think of their names (ha! At 3 a.m.!)

Ah, there, hubby remembered one. I think it is called Shells or something like that in Florida. Loved that one. We stop at Rafferty's when in Kentucky.

The thing is, we tend to eat out more at lunch than dinner, and then usually do chains when on the road or with groups and are just going along to go along. When we dine out, just the two of us, given a choice, always an individual place
Old 03-12-2011, 05:41 PM   #40
Head Chef

Rubios Fresh Mexican Grill is expanding to other states. They were the first restaurant chain to offer the now famous fish taco and they have a very health conscious menu. El Pollo Loco is also pretty healthy, I like their chicken.

Worst on my list is Carl's Jr. They added mexican food to their menu. The most gringo mexican food I've ever had. Their fish taco consists of 1 fish stick with some salsa
added, wrapped in a tortilla. When I say fish stick, I mean just that, the kind you had as a kid. The rest of their mexican fare is just as gringo.